The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1967 Delmont Convertible

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2013, 10:33 AM
'67 Delmont Convertible

1967 Delmont Convertible

Hello,

New guy here from Grand Rapids Michigan. I am on my second Delmont, this one is a 67 Convertible...looking forward to meeting everyone!

Old May 6th, 2013, 10:44 AM

Cool car. I've got a '67 Delta 88 convertible, a close cousin of your car.

Old May 6th, 2013, 05:17 PM
'67 Delmont Convertible

nice. I like the thicker trim along the bottom for sure...
Old May 7th, 2013, 05:14 PM
'67 Delmont Convertible

Old May 7th, 2013, 05:15 PM
'67 Delmont Convertible

Old May 7th, 2013, 05:22 PM
'67 Delmont Convertible

found this info on Delmont production figures at the local library...though y'all might find it interesting:
Old May 7th, 2013, 05:29 PM

Nice-looking car. I notice you have A/C, if I'm not mistaken. Does it work?

Also cornering lights. Cool. That must have been an unusual option on a lower-end car, if you'll, er, pardon the expression. Are those original??
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:59 PM
'67 Delmont Convertible

man! how did you see that from those pics...lol

yes, it is an a/c car couldn't till you much about the side markers but I have no doubt they are original. the car is super original. it was somewhat of a "barn find"

when I got it, the guy had it apart and was getting ready to paint it but apparently ran out of money so it was just collecting dust in an actual garage for years. I had it put back together, repainted (original color) and had a new top put on it, and away we go! but of course things are never that easy...the tranny went out right after I got it home, actually on my way home with it...so I dropped the tranny out and had it rebuilt...then...a few months later the bottom end of the engine started banging a little so I took the 425 out and put a 455 in it so I could drive it while rebuilding the 425...so i still have the engine on a stand and yes everything is there for the a/c so someday it will all work (i hope)

but thanks, I like it too & I haven't seen many of them around!

oh...and thanks again for the all the help!

Mike
Old May 7th, 2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by imcgm
man! how did you see that from those pics
It wasn't THAT hard.

The cornering lights are obvious in the one photo, and the A/C I assumed was there because of the vent opening above the radio.

Remember, I have a car pretty much just like yours. It doesn't have A/C, and there is no vent above the radio, as you can see in this photo of the interior.

Yes, that is an aftermarket radio as the original didn't work when I got the car. But it's a "period correct" aftermarket radio as it's from the 1980s, which is about when someone with a '67 car with an AM radio might have thought of switching it out for a more modern, AM/FM/cassette stereo that would still fit in the old-style dash opening. I use the front speaker as the left channel and the middle-of-the-rear-seat speaker as the right.

The car is also supposed to have a power antenna as there is a switch for it to the left of the steering column. But there is no power antenna, which would have been located on the right rear fender. There is evidence that the car was hit in the right rear at some point in its history and a replacement fender put on. I'm assuming it was either because they didn't want to spend the money for a new one or because it happened long enough after the '67 model year that the only source of a replacement was a junkyard car, but the replacement fender apparently did not have a cutout for an antenna, and no attempt was ever made to put one in. I took the cheapskate route and put in a $10, fender-mount antenna on the right front fender. It looks fine, works fine, and no one would ever guess it wasn't original. You can see it in the second photo below. I see that yours has an antenna in the same place.

Old May 7th, 2013, 08:33 PM
'67 Delmont Convertible

ah yes....good one.

and i do remember getting the original radio & a big ole antenna with the car when I got it...& seems like the guy said he got the radio out of an old 442 or something. funny that is something that always bugged me, not so much the radio but the ***** dont match...lol
so yeah..the radio and antenna are different...nothing gets past you! and I believe that my antenna has always been in the RF fender so no one will know unless you tell them about it on yours

mine has the telescoping steering wheel also, don't know how rare that is but I always though it was kinda trick...haha

Mike
Old May 7th, 2013, 08:36 PM

mine has the telescoping steering wheel also, don't know how rare that is but I always though it was kinda trick
Cool. That's probably another option that might have been commonplace on something like a 98 but rare on a Delmont.
Old May 7th, 2013, 08:36 PM
'67 Delmont Convertible

does yours have the big block?
Old May 7th, 2013, 08:41 PM
'67 Delmont Convertible

yeah, I keep forgetting the delmont was the "economy" line...lol
Old May 7th, 2013, 08:51 PM

Yes, mine has a 425. That was the only engine available on the Deltas while the Delmonts could have been had with the 330 or the 425 that year.

Here's a picture of the engine compartment. I'm the first to admit the engine should not be gold, but the previous owner told me he painted it that color because he liked gold. I'm pretty sure he painted it while it was in the car, so it's kind of a sloppy job. (He was 78 years old, so I give him a little slack.)

I repainted the valve covers and the air cleaner. It had an incorrect, Chevy air cleaner on it when I got it. I found a correct one at a swap meet, repainted it, got a correct plate with "Super Rocket" on it, and installed it on the car. I may get around one of these days to repainting the whole engine, but it runs very well, and I'm reluctant to take it apart and pull it out of the car just to paint it.

Here's a photo I took of the engine compartment the first time I saw the car when I went to look at it in response to a craigslist ad. This was in June 2009.

You can see the wrong air cleaner among other issues. But it ran, and I drove it home (about 50 miles). Before you ask, yes, the car was yellow when I got it, and yellow is actually its original color. But the paint was tired and faded, so I repainted it last fall, and I like red better, so that's what I went with.

Below is a photo of the entire car in its previous, all-yellow glory.

Old May 7th, 2013, 09:01 PM
'67 Delmont Convertible

I like it. the one thing I have learned in my many years of buying, selling and collecting cars is do what you like, thats really the only person who's vote counts...lol

I am an "original" kind of guy at this point in my life, but then again I dont think the collector market for Delmonts and Deltas has quite taken over the auction circuit yet, so im guessing no one will come down too hard on either one of us (hopefully) for our deviations from original

but GOLD...come on! haha j/k

you missed the pontiac hub caps on mine...lol

Mike
Old May 8th, 2013, 06:04 AM

you missed the pontiac hub caps on mine
I noticed they weren't original, although I couldn't tell they were Pontiac, but I don't pay much attention to hubcaps and wheels because they're easy to change. I don't consider replacing them really doing anything to change a car's originality precisely because they're so easy to change and change back.

The wheel covers on my car are not correct for '67, either, but I just like the spoked covers. I think they're actually from a late '70s or early '80s or other smaller Olds as they have to be 14-inch to fit the wheel. I have the originals, and I can pop these off and those on in 5 minutes if I ever wanted to.
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:34 PM
'67 Delmont Convertible

I'm just trying to find something olds ones that will fit! I almost think the wheels have been changed at some point since I have tried and failed a few times

Part of the fun I guess..
Old July 27th, 2015, 04:00 PM

Hey imcgm, We have a small car show in Allegan Michigan at a 50's diner Aug. 8/9 if you can make it. I will have my Delmont 88 there, it would be nice to have another there as well... You are correct, there are not many of the Delmont 88 around, at least not this part of the country... I've been to car shows from Texas to Michigan and I have seen none other than what I drive in...