The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1966 Olds Cutlass Supreme window weather stripping?

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2019, 02:48 PM

1966 Olds Cutlass Supreme window weather stripping?

Hello, I just purchased a 1966 Cutlass Supreme 4 door. I am looking to replace all of the rubber weather stripping inside and out on windows, trunk...any rubber anywhere to protect and keep moisture out. Can someone help me find the best place to purchase all new rubber. This is my first purchase of an old car and i don't know where to get started. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 03:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome and congrats on the purchase. Steele Rubber is your best bet for weatherstripping.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 06:02 PM

Welcome! Like to see some pics.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 06:27 PM

Congratulations on your Oldsmobile. Ditto what Joe P. said about Steele Rubber Products. Thats all I have used on my 66 Cutlass convertible. We love pictures.
Wayne
Old February 25th, 2019, 01:13 PM

Thank you everybody for your help. As I mentioned...I'm new at old "Olds" cars. I will probably have more questions in the future. Have a great day.
Old February 25th, 2019, 07:05 PM

Lookin good!
Old February 25th, 2019, 07:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

FYI, 1966 was the first year for the Cutlass Supreme nameplate, and it was only offered as a four door hardtop that year.
Old February 26th, 2019, 04:03 AM

I learn something new on this forum every day. Thanks Joe.

Wayne
Old February 26th, 2019, 08:32 AM

That is the original paint, I have original set of rims that I will get powder coated. Maybe I'll run car for a year before new paint. It seems as though there were two owners, the first took amazing care of the car, garaged kept...he aged and sold car to doctor who really did not know much or do much to maintain what he had. I believe it was garaged kept for 4 1/2 years by second owner. Second owner had car for about five years. Last six months were outside.

The truck weather stripping was letting water in and down into the fender where there is a rubber air vent...that rubber air vent was clogged and the rain water just sat in fender wall compartment. Luckily i found right away, but do not know how long it was in there...also the rubber plugs in the bottom of each door look as though they have not been removed for some time. I will take apart each door and thoroughly clean and dry each door. Does anyone have a suggestion what i should do with the fender wall compartment that was holding water for some time...it is really tight to get down and in there...I took a shop vac with a 1/2" piece of conduit to clean out water, nuts and small bits & pieces of metal, rock and debris. Then I blew out with compressed air and let a fan blow down and in fender wall. It's dry, but how should i treat area so rust does not blow up in there.

There is no bondo on car, interior is really clean and engine & trans seem great. I paid $6,500...I think that was a pretty good deal.

Can anyone suggest any other places I should look to clean (take out any clogged rubber vents, etc.) to get moisture out and to help prevent rust from deteriorating the car...the window weather stripping on outside of window seems to allow rain to just go straight down into bottom of doors...is there a different material (weather stripping) that will keep water out?

Thanks Joe for the nameplate information...Wayne & TJ for your positive vibes...i am a 51 year old just getting into a hobby and it's fun, and you people make it even more fun. Thank you for that and all of your advice.
Thank you again in advance for any and all of your suggestions on making me and the car better. Everybody have a great day. Jim
Old February 26th, 2019, 06:21 PM

Nice! You sure don't see many of these. Especially in that good of a survivor condition.
Old February 26th, 2019, 06:37 PM
Bfg

Remove the rubber trunk mat in the trunk. That usually holds moisture in and will rust out the floor. Becareful when you try to remove it, they tear easily. If it has some surface rust now is the time to take care of it. I keep my mat rolled up when the car is in storage.