The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1963 Oldsmobile F-85 convertible, new user

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2012, 06:59 AM
1963 F-85 Convertible

1963 Oldsmobile F-85 convertible, new user

Hello - I was given this car in 1993 by my uncle who bought it new and have been in the process of restoring it - with limited funds since I was 16 in '93. The car is 99% original and was rough when I got it, needed all new interior (originally white) and the body was full of filler and rust holes at the bottom of the wheel wells. I've replaced the white interior with black which I swapped from a 2 dr hardtop parts car I bought and dropped in a rebuilt motor from Tiffany MI (still have original). I have many extra parts for this car including a complete engine/trans with 40k miles; from parts car. I stripped the body to bare metal myself in 2007 and had her painted the original Datona Blue, brought all brightwork to a HORRIBLE chrome shop in Bergen County NJ (it's rusting now). New top/weatherstripping/pump/cylinders/latches last year. I've always driven the car a lot and hope to have it forever, it's been to Harrisburg PA, Manchester NH, Long Island, Jersey Shore....among many other road trips - I'm originally from central NJ.
Of course there are things that need attention - motor mounts constantly break, carburator leaks gas, blow by, wheels need to be sandblasted/painted and it's extremely difficult finding the proper size tires. Would someday like to get an engine/turbo setup from a Jetfire in here, wouldn't be original but I'm hopefully never selling it anyway.

Great to find an information resource!
Old January 4th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Welcome!

Two Yahoo groups you should join. The skylark616263 group is very active and a nice resource for info, parts and other things. Good bunch of guys.

The 215v8 is not as active but very helpful.
Good luck,
Ken

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/215V8/

http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=skylark616263
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:03 AM

Cool Welcome from Convertible 63, Germany

WOW!!! Sam

Another little car got into the community.
Save that bargain with all that you can give. Time , patience and some money. As we do own a 67 Mustang as well do we know how boring it is to look for parts. Even in Europe it`s as easy as to buy parts for a VW Beatle. No thrill at all
After we bought our 63 Olds F85 Convertible we`ve learned to search for rare original parts. It took about 3 years to find a turn signal switch, an air filter housing, by and by the whole suspension assembly incl. tie rods, ball joints, center link, hub caps, bearings, switches, new molded carpet, wiper arms, amber turn light lenses ..... 4 weeks ago was a great day. A german guy from a town 300 miles from our home sold the 1963 M5 hydramatic, the whole exhaust system and the transaxle to us ! Now the car will be + - 95 % original after those parts have replaced the later Rover trans, Opel exhaust and single transaxle.
The very most parts came from the US ebay .
In two weeks we will meet another two or more 63 Olds F85 Convertibles on a Classic Car Meeting in Obwalden, Swisse. Up to now we met 6 more of these cars on meetings.
Have a good time with yourè new ride and good luck,

Claudia & Martin