The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1937 Oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2019, 01:04 PM

1937 Oldsmobile

Hi, brand new here, had a question about a car. I have been looking at this car to possibly buy:

http://www.harwoodmotors.com/vehicle...ils.php?id=954

I know nothing about Oldsmobiles, I have owned a 48 Plymouth and a few bugs from 60s to 70s. I am currently without anything to work on and I want a coupe. I was just wondering, is it easy to get parts to maintain a 30s Oldsmobile? Are the GM parts kinda standard across the brands? Also is that a good price or too high? Looks like its above NADA but then again it's the only one I see for sale anywhere.

thanks

Matt
Old November 20th, 2019, 03:09 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That is a very nice car. There is not a big aftermarket for parts for these cars since there are so few of them. You might take at Fusick Automotive wersite. They will have some stuff. If there is an NADA value for this car it is meaningless since there are so few of them. I don't know values on these cars but to me it seems reasonable considering how nice the car is. You could not buy one and restore it for that price. The engine seems to have a little squeak in it which sounds like a water pump or generator. I like this car. It is a great color and would do well at car shows. Let us know what you do.
Old November 20th, 2019, 04:22 PM

My good friend and his dad (88 y.o.!) bought a 1937 chevy business coupe survivor for about 6K. It was nice enough that it still has the original interior. They drove it home. They dressed it up with a semi frame off paint job that was right in at about 10K. They had the front grill restored at about 1900.00. All new brakes etc etc. They got lucky with a real solid start. This Olds is a cutey! At 25K its definitely in the right $$$ neighborhood. If you took an old rust bucket, you could easily triple that (not counting your time hunting for parts!) and end up way over your head. At 75% over budget its not fun anymore, and easy to lose interest. This one is ready to enjoy

The squeak? Barely noticeable, could be a generator bearing or a vacuum leak. The chrome could easily run from 5-10K for a perfect job. Since this is probably a consignment sale (?), come in with a 15K cash offer.

Hit 'em hard and hit 'em low; when the going gets tough the tough get going! You should continue to ask around here for advice. Theres a bunch of "oldie" fanciers that can probably give you a real appraisal.

Good luck and hope you make a great buy! Bill in Two rivers, Wi.

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; November 20th, 2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old November 20th, 2019, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Send Funkwagon455 a private message. He has a similar car and can probably answer any of your questions. Its a nice car but remember the price is an asking price, don't be afraid of shooting them an offer.
Old November 20th, 2019, 10:20 PM
Phantom Phixer

[QUOTE=mattdavewalker@gmail.com;1210462}. I was just wondering, is it easy to get parts to maintain a 30s Oldsmobile? Are the GM parts kinda standard across the brands? [/QUOTE]
Chassis parts , with the exception of the engine itself , are common with Pontiac and Buick special . Except that Buick had a torque tube driveshaft .
Fenders and hood are unique to Oldsmobile , but most other body parts are interchangeable with Pontiac and Buick Special also .
There is very little interchangeability with Chevrolet .
Old November 20th, 2019, 10:31 PM

It looks like a great car at a fair price. It's an vintage car. It's an adventure. It's a love affair. It also can be a challenge. This one, because it's already been restored, takes a lot of the challenge out of it. Buy it. Drive it. Love it. Improve it.

Make your memories than then make it better for the next owner and the next one after that. That's what the guy before did.