In Memoriam In Loving Memory of Our Friends

Long Live Col Wickham

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Very bummed.......My condolences to you and the family,I hope he enjoyed his calendar and the videos I sent down..................Jerr
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:18 PM

Sorry for your loss. I enjoy your father's post/threads!

Last edited by toro68; February 14th, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:39 PM

Matt,
Sorry for your loss. From some of his posts, your father seemed like quite the character. I'm sure he is missed.

I will tell you what I was told when I lost my father last year: "Remember the good things." Life is short. The good memories will help sustain you through a difficult time now, and in the future.
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:51 PM
GM Enthusiast

Matt,

My condolences to you and your family. The Col was a great addition to this site and he will be sorely missed. I hope you find a good home for your Dad's car.
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:55 PM

Im some what new to the site But I will say I did like to here his wording
and perspective on stuff . Im sorry for you to lose your dad at such a young age. Have you thought of keeping hi car yourself? or others in the family?
I have to say I wish when We took my dad to the cemetery for his last ride it was in his Semi He drove truck since he was 15 . A nice slow drive by might be fitting again sorry for the LOSS . I know some dont like Ebay but it is a big audience and gets good air time . Do you have any local auto dealers that have old car market that might be able to help?
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:59 PM
No it's not a parts car!!

Matt, I just recently joined this site , but in this short time I always enjoyed reading your fathers posts. His wit and wisdom will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Gob bless.
Gary
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:10 PM

sorry to hearf your loss.god bless you and your family.your dad will be missed.
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:25 PM

Matt, I would like to offer my condolences to you and your family.

I looked forward to your father's posts here, especially the Good Morning posts.
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:38 PM

My sincerest condolences, he always chimed in with wit and humor.
Old February 12th, 2011, 07:23 AM
NôôB

uhhhh wow holy crap, i still cant believe this, could only imagine how great of a man he was in real life compared to how he was on here. sorry that you also cant keep his car during this time cause it would make (at least in my opinion and perspective from the forums) a great thing to remember him by and pass down to your kids etc. at least that is the plans with my car i hope lol. Anything we can do from our side of the world dont hesitate to ask cause i am sure we would be willing to help out in anyway.

My condolences
Tom "Sicky"
Old February 12th, 2011, 08:39 AM
NOVICE car nut

a very sad day , I did not get a chance to get to know the Col , but from what i heard and gathered from others on this site , he was a great person and he will be truly missed...I lost my dad in 2001 and its not easy , but in time things heal and get easier.....you and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Bryan Feil & family
Old February 12th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Captain of my ship

Col became a major part of our forum and was liked by all who read his posts. he obviously had a great sense of humor and we all enjoyed reading about life down in NSW. We will miss him terribly as I know his friends and family down there will even more so. I hope that you are able to get a fair price for his car.
You should be able to find out what he paid for it , including the transportation cost. This should give you a range of the value though I might start a little higher . You could use the commercial clips it was in? Or pics from it to advertise , this may make it more appealing.
I hope for the best for your family , good luck Matt.
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:09 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

my thoughts and prayers for Col Wickham and his Family

as I would be reading thru threads here on the board I would see his handle(post) coming up next,smile and look foward to what I was about to read,his words will be missed

rest in peace Col
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:49 PM

Matt.

Here's one of Col's legendary post which is filled with the banter we all enjoyed. In his honor it was raised to the top of the page.

Hope you enjoy a "Classic-Classic Olds" Thread

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...g-day-out.html
Old February 12th, 2011, 02:42 PM

Matt - my condolences to you and your family.

I have some suggestions regarding pricing your Dad's vehicle:

1) Find a reputable classic car appraiser. There are many on the Internet and it is easy to find one near you. Be sure to check his/her credentials. A complete appraisal should cost between $150 and $175.

2) Look on Ebay and see if you find similar cars and see what they sell for.

3) Find an Olds club near you and take the car there. I am sure folks will be eager to help and of course they can get a first hand visual - basically a free appraisal.
Old February 12th, 2011, 02:58 PM

Matt, so sorry to hear about your Dad.As many others have mentioned, he was liked and admired by all for his sense of humour and his great outlook on life.He will be missed by all the Olds site members.R.I.P. Col Wickham.
Old February 12th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Very sorry for your loss. 55 is way too young. My thought and prayers to you and all your family. The loss is like a hole in your heart. He passed away like most of us would like to by going to sleep. It still does not lessen the loss all of you feel. I have never been one to banter and or converse much since I really don't have the time. I always enjoyed you Dad's post and knew he was a character I would like.

I understand there is a pretty big following of American cars in Australia. I would try selling it there first. You have the advantage it is already there and somebody does not have to pay the shipping which I know is several thousand dollars. If that is considered, you might even get a premium with the right buyer.
Old February 12th, 2011, 09:01 PM
One of None W-31

Very sorry to receive the news. He was a nice addition to this board and will most assuredly be missed by many.
Old February 13th, 2011, 08:01 AM

Matt my condolences to you and your family, have only been on the forum for 6 months but Col was really nice when i was first on the forum and was a great bloke.

I'm based over in Perth and picked up a 71 cutlass after a full restoration with no work left to do for $30k AUD, the owner originally wanted $35k. This was bought locally from a dealership here. I researched www.carpoint.com.au and www.carsales.com.au

After looking between US sites and our local market the cars seem to go for more over here, oldsmobiles tend to be a rarity compared to alot of camaros and mustangs and have some appeal in that respect. Best of luck with the sale of the car and again my heartfelt wishes for you and your family

Russ
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:47 PM

Just heard the news Matt, very sorry.
I did see you two boys in the Olds on said trip a few days back in main st of The Oaks, thought it odd that Col wasn't in sight at the time.
Ben Noakes
Old February 14th, 2011, 11:19 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Dear Matt.
Both sharon my wife and myself send our condolences to you and your family, Though i will do this in person at the funeral, i met col on here when we first bought our 55 and then realised we didn't live all that far away from each other, i then introduced him to our car club ,the American Muscle Car club of Australia , which he then proudly joined , we both had the only olds in the club so shared a common passion, Maureen our club secretary and myself will be attending the funeral to pay our last respects on behalf of the club, i will be coming in the 55 as i know he would have loved that, col may you rest in peace mate.
best wishes chris vrontas.
10062020US_Cruise_00841.jpg

Last edited by rocketdownunder; February 14th, 2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Cutlass Lover

Oh.... What a great picture!!! Thanks so much for posting it. Brings tears to my eyes - I really miss him. Wish I could have known him in person.
Old February 15th, 2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by rocketdownunder
Dear Matt.
Both sharon my wife and myself send our condolences to you and your family, Though i will do this in person at the funeral, i met col on here when we first bought our 55 and then realised we didn't live all that far away from each other, i then introduced him to our car club ,the American Muscle Car club of Australia , which he then proudly joined , we both had the only olds in the club so shared a common passion, Maureen our club secretary and myself will be attending the funeral to pay our last respects on behalf of the club, i will be coming in the 55 as i know he would have loved that, col may you rest in peace mate.
best wishes chris vrontas.
Thanks for posting the picture. What a great guy I miss him every morning when I tune to CO
Old February 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM

This is very sad. While i just joined not to long ago, i usually got a chuckle from his posts.

R.I.P Col Wickham
Old February 15th, 2011, 07:28 PM

Thanks for posting that picture Chris. A lot of us, especially on the "Morning" thread, had some good conversations with Col as we teased and joked with him and he teased and joked with us. We had some good laughs and feel like we have lost a member of our family. Even on this side of the Pacific, he had friends he'd never met (meet). Please convey that to his loved ones and our deepest respects and sympathies on their loss.
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:41 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Gday all .
I went to col's funeral , no i'll refrase that , the celebration of col's life today, so here is some of col's life , hope you enjoy.
regards chris.
Scannedat2-16-201117-18PM2.jpg
Scannedat2-16-201117-18PM.jpg
colwickham.jpg
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:46 AM

Thanks for posting Rocketdownunder
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Great pictures from what looked to be a happy and rewarding life! Thanks for sharing.
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Cutlass Lover

Thank you so much for posting these pics! I'm sitting here sniffing with tears in my eyes. What a great guy he was! Look at him - all young and with all that hair, lol! Wish he were here so I could tease him! He'd get a kick out of it. He really loved his family. It was not too long ago that I found out he played guitar and we were talking about bands and musicians.

Rest in peace Colonel..... I miss you and that sense of humor. I'm fortunate and blessed to have known you, even if it was only over the internet. You brought a smile to my face and to my heart. I'll always remember you, you "plick"!
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:45 AM

Wow! Great pictures. He looks like your typical Aussie, fun loving and down to earth; and such a good looking family. Rest in peace my friend. Thanks for posting Chris.

Col kinda looks like Shia LeBeouf in his younger days....
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:21 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures rocketdownunder.
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:39 AM

Thanks for posting the pics.
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:46 PM

Condolences to the family bud, I didnt know him at all but he was one of the first to welcome me on board. If I can help from here to sell the Olds through one of the auction sites in New Zealand am only to happy to try. If you want to send me a pm with details I can set something up if you wish, although sites like trademe NZ etc you can access yourself
Kind thoughts to the family
Kelvin
Old February 17th, 2011, 06:47 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures Chris. I am glad it was a celebration of life as I believe Col lived it to the fullest and the pictures look to confirm that. Hope they have hotrods in heaven and the "Col" is laying down some black tracks
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Dear Matt--

I haven't been on the forum for over a week and I just found out about Colin's passing.

I am so shocked and saddened by his death. He was a joy to converse with, and I loved his banter between the Guys and Gals on the Good Morning Post!

I was just 80 on the fourth of February. I wonder in amazement how a man of 55 can die so young...

At 80, I know that I'm living on "borrowed time." "The Colonel" was a joy and a real friend to me even though I never knew him in person . I am deeply saddened.

May the Almighty hold him in his hands forever...

Col's mate,

--Don

Old February 19th, 2011, 07:11 AM

I am sorry for your loss.
Old February 20th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Kjr442

This is so sad to read , I am so sorry for your loss. I followed your Dads comments on this site.Your Dad was always a good read,and was nice to me. I wish I had the opportunity to meet him in person.
I lost my Dad four years ago this month, I thought I would never make it without him. I can only tell you that time will help, and I pray time will pass, and leave you with peace in your hearts.
Old February 21st, 2011, 05:14 AM
Crazy Canuck

It certainly looked like Col had a great family and some great cars and you can tell he loved them both. Now he gets to cruze in all those cars he wanted back and all the dream cars he never had.

Long may you run Col! RIP

Wayne
Old March 12th, 2011, 02:42 PM
1972 98 & 1984 H/O

Matt,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Dan