Brought a 61 Olds back from the dead out of a junkyard

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2013, 02:59 PM

Here are some pics of the kit, none of this stuff was cheap, your looking at almost 1500 !!! and no clutch kit. The Muncie I have must have been removed when the it was a couple of years old since it looks like new inside, retains it's bolt lock tabs, back up light switch, part number tag and overall unworn condition. The pilot bushing is about 1/4 longer than a stock one and its out with the crankshaft being drilled. I hot some stock mounts for the rear cross member from rockauto for 25.00 delivered for the pair. This block has a small crack and is being used for mock up. Im using 23 heads. The valve covers are ebay and swapmeet finds. The Offys were 135 with some broken fins and one hole. the Weiands were 85 but some knucklehead drilled some holes for the breathers and put one right over the name. I got a really nice cam from Camcraft that's a bit warmer than the Starfire cam.

Old June 14th, 2013, 03:02 PM

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Phantom Phixer

Machine work (drilling) of crank

Who is doing the machine work on the crank? I will need mine drilled too because I'm doing the same thing. Thanks.
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:31 PM

I think Reddig Bros. in Modesto. My machine shop sent it out.
Old June 20th, 2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Who is doing the machine work on the crank? I will need mine drilled too because I'm doing the same thing. Thanks.
It cost me 2 hrs labor at 92.00 an hour to get it drilled for the pilot. I'll post pics when i get it back.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 09:24 PM

Cool car and build!
How can i get in touch with this guy? Does he ship parts? I saw a 67 Cutlass rear bumper that looked nice and straight. I would love to talk to him about it and buy it if possible. My brother is in Fresno perhaps he could go and get it.
Please let me know how to contact him
Thanks
Steve
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by NAS Backyard
Just a quick update on the Olds, One of my primary vehicles was hit and put out commission so my son has been driving the 61 daily for 3 months with no problems at all except for using a little oil. I will be heading up to the Olds Boneyard this weekend if anybody wants me to look for anything. i will be sure to get plenty of pics this time. Email me at 61olds88@gmail.com if you want me to look for anything.
This post really impressed the hell out of me. It got me motivated on my '61 again. I reread this entire thread last night from page one and it was like deja vu to what I've been doing. Just like the first posts, I had to run all new hoses and fuel lines this spring. I finally finished up my manual to power disk brake conversion too, which involved several new brake lines along with all new hoses. I chose an S10 booster and master cylinder, I've had a few scary stops over the years with a single piston model. Of course one thing leads to another, so I ended up rebuilding a different fuel pump with vacuum assist, carb only vacuum was not enough. I finally had enough faith in the NOS ignition switch to put it back in the dash, the old one would kill off the spark intermittently, not fun. So, ready for the big road test! Idling good, typical slim jim jerk-a-shifts annnnnd, crap. No brake lights. Ordered a new switch. No road test until then. P.S. Why does this forum turn nice paragraphs into a wall of text? Sucks.
Old July 5th, 2013, 08:06 PM

Success! Got the new brake switch in near record time, installed it today and took a 12 mile shake down run. Everything worked as it should. Now time for plugs, wires and belt and it will be ready for the road.
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:45 PM

What disc brake set up did you use?

Originally Posted by Summerof84
This post really impressed the hell out of me. It got me motivated on my '61 again. I reread this entire thread last night from page one and it was like deja vu to what I've been doing. Just like the first posts, I had to run all new hoses and fuel lines this spring. I finally finished up my manual to power disk brake conversion too, which involved several new brake lines along with all new hoses. I chose an S10 booster and master cylinder, I've had a few scary stops over the years with a single piston model. Of course one thing leads to another, so I ended up rebuilding a different fuel pump with vacuum assist, carb only vacuum was not enough. I finally had enough faith in the NOS ignition switch to put it back in the dash, the old one would kill off the spark intermittently, not fun. So, ready for the big road test! Idling good, typical slim jim jerk-a-shifts annnnnd, crap. No brake lights. Ordered a new switch. No road test until then. P.S. Why does this forum turn nice paragraphs into a wall of text? Sucks.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:41 PM

I know I'm a little late to the game but just wanted to say you've done a fantastic job on your '61. I've recently bought a '61 4 door Dynamic and am so glad I came across this thread (and this site!). I have a very limited budget and am totally inspired with the way you've approached your restoration. Some great ideas there, hope you don't mind if I pinch a few!
Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing how it progresses. If mine turns out even half as good I'll be a happy camper!
Old August 3rd, 2013, 11:27 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Did anybody else catch the 59 Olds 2-door sedan? I have never seen one. That has to be one rare puppy. My heart was breaking for the black 62 Starfire. I will always think that is one of the prettiest cars Olds ever made. If (a very big if) I had lots of money, I would have one in black along with a 62 Gran Prix in red and a 62 Wildcat in white with a black vinyl top. Those were some great cars.
I was sure I sure 2 sets of 59 tail fins!!!both 98's one white coupe and the other just surface rust poking out of a tarp!

Oh to get my hands on some bits for my old girl
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by KQQLCAT
What disc brake set up did you use?
Sorry for the delay, I was on vacation. I used Scarebird.
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:46 PM

For any parts call Chuck at Hess Bro's Auto Wrecker's in Corning CA at 530-527-4100
No disc brakes KQQLKAT. The update is the block is bored 030 over, the forged pistons are on there way. The block has been clearance for the flywheel and the starter has been tested. I have the rear mounts modified, the stock 4 barrel manifold is ported out, the Q Jet is being built by Cliff Ruggles, I had the 2 groove balancer rebuilt by Dale Mfg for 130.00 but since found a 3 groove one since I'll be running AC. Making another run up to the boneyard to get the brackets and pulleys next weekend. Getting real excited about the project. I'll post some pics when I have more time. Stay tuned !
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:03 PM
Phantom Phixer

NAS Backyard, Please post some pics if you get time (or at least take some to post later). I'd like to see how you handled the rear mount situation. Pics of the Quadrajet conversion would be cool too.
I know Cliff Ruggles from the Pontiac forum. I don't think there is anyone that knows the Quadrajet better than him.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 04:38 PM

This is what the rear mounts look like after modification. The only difference is I'm using auto trans mounts instead of manual , which are totally obsolete.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 07:05 PM
Phantom Phixer

4 Spd eng mounts

Thanks a million NAS! It looks pretty much like what I imagined when I first
envisioned my 4 speed Olds build.
It looks as though you may have drill and tap holes for the upper mount holes. I would imagine you made tubular spacers for the lower bolts.
The stick-shift mounts wouldn't have worked anyway. In the photos below you can see the difference. The stick mounts are too close together and will conflict with the wide Muncie lower bolt pattern. Besides which, the stick mounts and the special cross member are made of unobtanium!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
File18.jpg (40.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg
File19.jpg (39.9 KB, 50 views)
Old August 24th, 2013, 07:09 AM

I was checking out your tread on this conversion... There was a guy selling a complete 4 speed setup for a 57 Olds with a T10 behind it.. Just wondering if it would have fit on yours ?
Old August 25th, 2013, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by 65B01Delta
I was checking out your tread on this conversion... There was a guy selling a complete 4 speed setup for a 57 Olds with a T10 behind it.. Just wondering if it would have fit on yours ?
This conversion isnt real easy or cheap in an existing auto trans car but even if you had the stock pedals you probably couldn't use them. I sure hope the 63 394 AC 3 groove pulley works on my 62 394 !!! Because I just had Hess Bro. send it strait to the harmonic balancer rebuilder www.hbrepair.com. FYI, according to my buddy Joel, the harmonic balancer diameter will vary according to the rearend size. The 62 Starfire one I had rebuilt (3:42) was 6" dia., The one Hess Bro, just sent out was approx. 7 1/4: good, because I'll berunning 3:08 posi.. I had another guy over on the hamb send me one sight unseen and it was the wrong one ((. I'm also getting the 63 water pump pulley.

Last edited by NAS Backyard; August 26th, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old August 26th, 2013, 04:31 PM

Here are some more pictures
Block clearance needed

Spreadbore adapter on smoothed manifold

ported runners

Pontiac vs Olds runner size

another rear mount shot
Old August 26th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Phantom Phixer

I sure hope the 63 394 AC 3 groove pulley works on my 62 394 !!!
Sorry to bust your bubble, but according to the parts book 61 used one 3 groove balancer. 62 used a different one and 63-64 used still a different one. Can't tell you what the difference was, but there were 3 different part numbers. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ine-Clutch.pdf
If you want to sell the 63 balancer PM me with a price.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; August 26th, 2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:03 PM

Sorry to bust your bubble, but according to the parts book 61 used one 3 groove balancer. 62 used a different one and 63-64 used still a different one. Can't tell you what the difference was, but there were 3 different part numbers. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ine-Clutch.pdf
Old August 27th, 2013, 02:41 AM

No worries Charlie, it will fit the engine because all of the balancer seals are the same, belt alignment might be an issue. Part numbers are for different years. I checked my Hollander Manuals and they don't even list HB's I know the cores are 100.00 . Damper Doc wants 269.00 to rebuild one. I will let you know how it works out. I'll see if I can find you one.
Old September 18th, 2013, 02:07 AM

Latest update: The forged pistons arrived and are bad a$$ and are hi quality pieces made by a company called Race/Auto Tec , The founder used to own JE pistons but sold out and later found out people weren't making pistons like they should. SO, he came out of retirement bought all new equipment and started over. So I will have to say I got the latest piston technology in the industry for my 820.00 www.racetecpistons.com . I also got ARP Rod bolts from Speedway Motors. So my whole lower end is at the machine shop . I'm going to have everything balanced and put it together myself since I just can't justify paying 500.00 for the lower end assembly when I've done 4 engines myself and they didn't blow up. As far as the Harmonic balance mystery, here's what I've found out. The seals and repair sleeves sold at rockauto and other places don't fit 62 or 63 balancers. To install a larger 2" hb shaft on a 61-62 crankshaft ,timing cover, you need to get a larger seal and Tony has them, it's a National number that he crossed. The water pump pulley is another one I'm working on. I'm using the 63 3 groove harmonic balancer on my engine and will make everything else fit to it as I go. In the future I'll be upgrading the power steering pump to something more modern and compact along with a 3 wire MADD Alternator set up. I'm also adding a Sanden AC compressor to the mix later. If I run into problems initially, I'll just go back to my 61 pulleys for now. The carburetor arrived from Cliff Ruggles but I opted out on the replating to save 150.00 so it doesn't look like anything special. I 've also ported out the heads just to clean them up a bit and am waiting on the new gaskets to do final port matching. I did get my new valves, springs, rocker assemblies. and double roller timing chain. This isn't Falcon Global Ebay stuff, this is high end hand picked stuff from the racing community of vendors. After what I've spent, i'm beginning to think that I might have been better off having Tony at Ross Racing just sell me a turn key engine, but then where would the fun be? I'll try to post up some pictures. I also just got through modifying and installing a stock fan shroud to my new aluminum radiator. I has to add a rubber strip to the perimeter and fabricate some brackets. I kind of like the industrial feel of the expanded medal so I'm using it in the rear window speaker deck also.
Old September 18th, 2013, 03:36 AM

The car apparently had some history of public service. It has Heavy Duty seats, dual spotlight holes , an antenna hole welded up , and what looks like a siren button on the floor...
That must have been a dissappointment, when you spotted only two holes in the intake. Public service usually means a police package. However, if a previous owner, for some strange reason, decided to convert it to a 2 bbl., there's always the slim chance you might still have a high-output 394. Did you ever have those engine I.D. numbers traced?

That '65 Starfire with the bumper on the hood would be a worthy project, if it's still there:

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; September 18th, 2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:32 AM

Yes, I checked the engine and it is a low compression 2 bl, however they did make a high compression 2 bl for export. I have the engine, trans, and interior out of that 65 Starfire. Weird thing, the carb holes were filled with rat droppings but when I took the engine apart it had new rings and rod bearings along with new oil and had never been started. A lot of public service vehicles were equipped with standard engines. But it will have the hottest 394 4 speed in it you could only dream of buying in 61.
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:32 PM

Balancers, the smaller 2 groove is stock 62 Starfire, the 3 groove is stock 63 Starfire with AC, the red primered one is Olds but seems to be solid, no rubber, 3 groove, fits stock seal.

Old September 18th, 2013, 02:20 PM

Here's a few more misc. pics. an oddball pulley I got with my balancer, a one off Weiand 4 barrel manifold, rebuild upper control arms with new parts, valve train goodies and a few pics of the car ready for Billetproof show on Sat. in Antioch Ca. The speaker is NOS for a Navy Ship ,period correct and there even Dynamic, I also have a mate to it but it's an old one. I'm the charter member to the White Interceptors CC out of Toledo, it's a sister club to the Brown Persuasion CC in Stockton Ca

tired 394

Alpine /Detroit Diesel Green is going to be the engine color

ready to roll
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:17 PM

Holy Crap !!!! What is the story on that Weiand intake ?!?! I didn't know one existed. That is going to be one impressive 394 !
Old September 18th, 2013, 05:04 PM

I made up the story, I took a mold off my Weiand valve cover to repair the other one that is missing letters, then I got an idea for a little bit of trickery by making another Weiand out of bondo and wahlaa ! A one off manifold! It is heavily ported so it really wont be stock I guess. Going to smooth it out and graft it on and have everybody else scratching the head....all in the name of fun of course....forgot the pulley pic

Old September 18th, 2013, 05:30 PM

Fooled me !!
Old September 19th, 2013, 09:16 AM

I just read this entire thread and am totally impressed with what you have done and will be watching.

Cheers
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:37 AM

Charlie, I just figured out there was a part number link/list duh!!! WOW! The good news is I have all of them now!
61 Olds 394 2 groove , used on my engine
61 Olds 3 groove NOS, just purchased
62 Olds 3 groove, missing balancer ring
63-64 394 rebuilt 2 groove
63-64 394 rebuilt 3 groove
You were right, I should have read into the list. Anyway, All I need now is the 6`-62 3 groove water pump pulley then I'll be golden. As soon as I get all the balancers together I'll post pics.
Old September 27th, 2013, 04:44 AM

Here's what I ended up with, It almost matches with the red primered 3 groove pulley, I'm going to look around for the 61WP Pulley and once everything is sorted out I'll list the spares for sale on here first.
http://www.hemmings.com/parts/item/E...JM6_09W4.gmail

Last edited by NAS Backyard; September 27th, 2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old November 13th, 2013, 04:22 PM

OK, I have all of the engine parts together and am ready to assemble the engine. I've assembled several engines in my life but never a 394. So if there are any tips, suggestions, links or any other info that may help me along the way in regards to the 394 Olds engine., it would be appreciated. I'll post up some pics of all of the goodies soon. Thanks !
Old November 14th, 2013, 10:45 AM

Spreadbore adapter on smoothed manifold
That would be an ideal set-up. But, I hate to spoil your party. Unfortunately, nobody has cast an aluminum manifold for those engines, yet. Otherwise, you could build up the area surrounding those golfball secondaries with a MIG welder. Then port the manifold to suit. Where I marked the area in yellow, there will be an enormous vaccuum pocket which you'll feel when the engine isn't responding fully to you flooring the pedal . Sooner or later, you'll likely get tired of the lag and eventually go for a tri-power.
Otherwise, this is a 5 star thread and I can't wait till you get it done and running

Old November 14th, 2013, 02:22 PM

This is what it looks like without the adapter, I really don't know what problems I'll have with the Qjet on this. What are you talking about welding up? I don't need to weld anything up, this adapter plate is bolt on.

If your saying I'll have a flat spot running the Q jet on this manifold with the adapter plate then if that's the case I'll run my Carter 750 Competition square bore and run the Q jet on my Pontiac engine, Or better yet, run 2 tuned down dual Q Jets since they did make a manifold for this engine.
Old November 14th, 2013, 06:21 PM

Just read through this entire thread. Great find and great work so far!
Old November 15th, 2013, 05:02 AM

Just wanted to say great job, wish I had the time to work on my own "junkyard" find.

If you need anything, I'm into a few 62' parts.
Old November 15th, 2013, 11:46 AM

Does anyone know the difference in AC vs non AC water pumps on 53-64 Olds?
Old November 15th, 2013, 12:39 PM

one vane. Non AC has one less. but you can run either one.
Can't wait to see it running again.

Does anyone know the difference in AC vs non AC water pumps on 53-64 Olds?

Quick Reply: Brought a 61 Olds back from the dead out of a junkyard