Brought a 61 Olds back from the dead out of a junkyard

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2009, 05:32 AM
olds..older..oldest

Resurrection /Restoration

Nas, you have done amazing work on that classic Olds!! I too am getting more frugal with age,so it's great to see your inventive genius at work,especially when the results are so good.My 69 442 needed a new rear package tray and the shipping charges were more than the replacement cost .Used the old one as a template and built one with pressboard.Drilled the speaker opening holes...door screen and 3-M spray adhesive...SEM spray paint and...Voila---new tray. Your June 29 pics remind me of how some insects make their rears look like their fronts to fool predators into attacking their less vulnerable areas.Your car would look awesome even coming down the highway in REVERSE!! Keep up the great work....Derek
Old August 30th, 2009, 01:17 PM

Thanks Derek, It's been alot of fun bringing this car back. I rebuilt the 2 barrel carb and got rid of my loading up problems, I also changed the base plate out. This will work until I get an actual 61 Olds core to work with. I've been driving it to work for about 2 weeks now shaking everything down. It seems to be a decent driver. This car had a Glacier Blue roof from the factory . I scored some more parts from ebay, good deal on the tierod ends at 20.00 ea delivered, still need one more ES 636. My car has the Thompson alternate steering with power. As some of you might know, these cars had 3 different part#'s for the same part. The holy grail of upper control arm bushings were discounted at 33.00 ea. compared to 51.00 list, but still no bargain in my world. But I thought I better get them while the getting was good.

Best deals, rebuilt pump 31.00, centerlink 32.00 delivered price

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:20 AM

Once again you show us how to do a great build on a budget. I have been slowly collecting parts for my 48 Olds using e-bay and craigs list. Great savings you just have to be patient. I enjoy all of your posting keep up the good work. Have you found the right color seat covers yet?
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:13 PM
Olds-Can

floor patch what thickness of metal do I use 16ga or 12ga ?
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:32 PM

how neat. looks very solid from pics for sitting that long. good luck
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:27 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

This is still one of my favorite threads on here. When I see a new post, I always check to see what you have done. I agree on no skirts and the dog dish hubcaps. If you ever paint the car, in my opinion white is the only way to go. Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping us up to date as to what is going on.
Old September 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM

I finally got around to cleaning and detailing the engine bay. It took 5 cans of degreaser and a pressure washer. I used gray primer to soak up the patina and Pontiac blue on the engine. (they don't have 2 barrel Olds engine paint in the spray can) I replaced my upper and lower radiator hoses and hooked my heater back up. I've been driving it to work. It's running and driving great, however the engine is using a little oil and may be on borrowed time. (good reason to install the 455/400) I'm plannig a roadtrip back up to Red Bluff in it to take pictures and get more parts in mid-late Oct.
As found

needs cosmetics

And one for the global green freaks to think about
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:59 PM

Looking good as always. You have come a long ways
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Not much time to work on the Olds since I get to work 6-12's during the grape season. But I have managed to install a tach, replace the fuel pump and take my generator down to the rebuilders. I also won some more great deals off ebay. The generator was $65.10 out the door for the rebuild. The local shop has been around forever and the same guy has been there for over 20 years. Their so old fashion they don't take credit cards and the most hi-tech device is the telephone.Here are some pics.

Ebay deals, 15.00 for front axle seals and 27.00 for Idler arm , delivered

Last edited by NAS Backyard; October 10th, 2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old October 10th, 2009, 10:07 PM

I love those old shops. honest work with american labor and you get what you pay for. Most of them have closed up around here and I miss them all. Looks like your scored some good parts a great prices
Old October 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM

Took the Olds to a local show on my day off today. I had to drop it off and go home to sleep for awhile since i work 6-12's for 2 more weeks, so I made up a little short story and some before pics and hung it off the hood. Unfortunately, I left my camera home on the return trip and missed some really good pictures. It was judged by the general public. There were 150-175 really nice cars there with only a few project cars in the mix. I couldn't believe it when they called my name and gave the car an award!

Old October 18th, 2009, 06:04 AM

that is such a cool ride. i'd love a car like that...
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Congrats on the trophy, well deserved for all the work you have done.
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:53 AM
zed

Congrats! That's cool.
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Great story all around. What makes it is all the work you are doing yourself - and youre not wasting anytime about it either. Good Luck!
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:26 PM

Way cool car, and good story. Nice to have a car pretty much nobody else has. Keep up the good work. Hope you can find out the history of the car. The blue roof may have something to do with the original owner, a business. Maybe the white and blue were the company colors.

Joe Varley
AZ
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:49 PM
GM Enthusiast

Nice job on the engine compartment. It's amazing how much you can improve a car by just doing the simple things. BTW, I like the "global warming exit" decal on the side. I'm sure you get some comments on that!
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Wirth
Great story all around. What makes it is all the work you are doing yourself - and youre not wasting anytime about it either. Good Luck!
Thanks Dan, there was a beautiful black 57 Super 88 with a continental kit at that show.
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:43 AM

NAS,

Do you remember if one of the '65 F-85/Cutlasses has a decent (straight!) front bumper? I'd have to go thru the trouble of getting it shipped right from his yard, but if there's a good one, it'd be worth it!
HOPE, HOPE!!!!

By the way, it's truly amazing how far you've come with the car. I'm awed! Could you email me the junk yard owner's contact info?

masonr1233@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Ralph

Last edited by German442; October 20th, 2009 at 05:33 AM. Reason: add info
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Just got done going thru all the pages! Outstanding thread and ride!........

Ps What was the green 70 442 going for at the ole junkyard?
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:51 AM

wow thats a sweetass yard thanks for showing the pics!!!!
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
Just got done going thru all the pages! Outstanding thread and ride!........

Ps What was the green 70 442 going for at the ole junkyard?
Again, Thanks for all the great comments! I've really enjoyed working on this car. Asking 4500 for the 70 442, but I think you could get it for ALOT less. I will be inventoring the whole yard and taking lots of pictures when I go up there in a couple of weeks.
For any 61 or 62 owner familiar with suspension parts, I scored what I think was an unbelievable deal last week on ebay. I just got through looking through 27 pages of 61 Olds stuff and decide to search 62 Oldsmobile ball joints, 2 items came up, the first one was this NOS Pair of Moog upper ball joints for a Buy It Now price of 19.99! These are 57.00 ea from vendors. Ive only seen one single one on ebay in the last year. So for 32.00 delivered I got them. Mine aren't really shot, but when I do the upper bushings I'll install these also. The weird part was, the seller only listed them as 62 Olds ,without a part number or anything else, and no pictures of the boxes. He could have easily got 60.00 or more for these. Ive been driving it alot lately and am pretty confident it will make the 380 mile round trip to Red Bluff. If not, I have 200 mile AAA.
Old October 29th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Good buy. Looking foward to those pictures too
Old October 30th, 2009, 10:47 AM
this is not my car lol

lets get some details on the Woodbridge Merlot too !

i love the stuff!

being Italian, theres nothing better (non-Olds related i mean) than a glass tasty red with a plate of home cooked pasta....
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:46 PM

The Woodbridge Merlot is some of the best. I work for the company who owns that brand. The grape harvest is over!!! I'm going to Red Bluff next Saturday Nov 14th. FYI, If anyone has a request for a part or car, PM me the info and I will look. He mainly has 57-66 full size stuff and 64-73 mid size and alot of Starfire stuff. I've got plenty of oil. If that 394 makes the round trip I'm doing a ring and valve job on it. Otherwise If it grenades, then it gets the 455/400. Heres a couple of pics of my Starfire the day it went bye-bye back in 2000 for 5500 with another Starfire parts car.....sniff .....sniff.........

Last edited by NAS Backyard; November 8th, 2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:08 AM
zed

Those Buick wheels look hot on it. I'm a sucker for RWLs...
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:24 PM

That was a sweet ride. I am looking for a green tinted windshield with the dark tint at the top and a green tinted passenger door glass. Have had no luck at local yards
Old November 15th, 2009, 12:11 AM

Live, from Red Bluff CA! The Olds made the 160 mile trip without any problems other than using 1 1/2 quarts oil. We made several stops along the way. We stopped at a museum that was closed, visited a Mopar buddy that has owned a 69 Charger R/T that he bought in 1983, at the age of 16 for 1700.00. Then it was on to a local wrecking yard, 15 miles south of red Bluff in Orland Ca. We will be meeting up with Joel on Sunday morning at the Oldsmobile junkyard. Here are some shots from the trip so far.
Big M Auto Wreckers Williams Ca. Closed

All Star Auto Wreckers Orland Ca.

Old November 15th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Made it back from Red Bluff in the Olds. Lots of pictures coming soon.
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:41 PM

It was a great trip and I was in Olds heaven. I will need to figure out how to host all of my pictures and video's, Over 180 pics. Here are some highlights from the trip. The car ran great for the most part, started acting up a little on the way home, used 4 qts of oil total and 1 3/4 tanks of gas. I spent 250.00 on parts and also bought a barely used radiator for my 68 Firebird. I got 2 barrel air cleaner, carb, and intake. Chrome valve covers, 2 water pump cores, starter,horns, radiator brackets, windshield wiper motor and a triangle glass bottle with the Original Olds label,windshield trim, tailight trim,4 T-3 headlights,power steering pump and hoses, voltage regulator, A/C vents,clock, TS switch,window glass track, 2 14"wheels, 4 nice hubcaps,and an original 61 Olds jack. I'm going to reward the car with some rings and a valve job. I also parked it back in it's original spot.

Old November 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM

I love junkyards! I want to take everything home. Your car is really cool amazing how good the engine looks with a little TLC keep it up.
Old November 16th, 2009, 05:57 AM
zed

Wow, lotsa goodies there. You can use Photobucket or a similar host site for all your pics. It's free.
Old November 16th, 2009, 08:48 PM

OK, I'm experimenting now, I'm going to try a post a short video of the boneyard.
View My Video
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:41 AM

there are some nice cars in there
Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:16 AM

I need to replace the steering gear on my 61 2dr sedan, I ordered it from Rock Auto but where did you get the rag joint? What number is on that package.
Thanks
Pat
Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by NAS Backyard

Decided to clean up the original beauty rings and see what they look like on the car. There was also some wheel slot covers on them from the factory to make the wheel look solid. I'm going to install them when i get them painted.
What a great job! Those trim rings make the car look like it's got white walls !. Keep up the great work. Wish I had a garage as big as yours. Course if I did, it would be filled with cars too
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:49 AM

OK Olds fans, after resizing and uploading each individual picture, here they are. I'm no picture hosting guru. Mods, if you need to move this to a general forum , go right ahead. Everything can be purchased. But this is not a for sale ad.

http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=...SKbnlBmw%3D%3D
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by NAS Backyard
OK Olds fans, after resizing and uploading each individual picture, here they are. I'm no picture hosting guru. Mods, if you need to move this to a general forum , go right ahead. Everything can be purchased. But this is not a for sale ad.

http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=...SKbnlBmw%3D%3D
Thanks for loading all those pics. I just visited it. What an awesome collection. Can't decide between the 67 2dr post or a selection of starfires. I wanna touch them all and bring em home. Might have to buy a new house, one with a barn to store all those goodies.
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by KQQLCAT
I need to replace the steering gear on my 61 2dr sedan, I ordered it from Rock Auto but where did you get the rag joint? What number is on that package.
Thanks
Pat
I got the box and the rag joint from one of the local chains stores Kragen ORielly, the Rag joint is actually a HELP rebuild kit for about 8.00. But you can buy the complete joint for around 30.00..With a local store there is no shipping since that part fits almost 15 years
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM

Very nice work. Enjoy the fruit of you labor.

Quick Reply: Brought a 61 Olds back from the dead out of a junkyard