f-85 4 door Hot Rod?

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2018, 10:25 PM

Cool f-85 4 door Hot Rod?

Hey everyone, I'm beginning to realize that putting my car back to stock would be more expensive than I'd like and would not produce a car that i'd truly feel was mine. For that reason, I'd like to create a mechanically restored but visually customized car. My ideas for the build are stated below, I'd like some of you established guys to critique what I'm trying to do and maybe point me in the right direction. I will attach a photoshop of what I want the car to look like on the outside, excluding the mirrors (I'm going to mount stock looking ones instead.

I am thinking of painting the car a darker non-metallic red on the outside and black/grey 2 tone (like the stock black interior) on the inside with a fully black interior.
The chrome on my car is all pretty pitted, beyond driver quality even, and restoring all of it would cost more than the car is worth. I would like to paint, yes, PAINT the bumpers, deluxe trim, and window trim a darker gunmetal metallic color. Do you guys have any preferred paint brands that hold up well to daily driving?

The engine will only receive a few support modifications like an intake, cam, and dual exhaust. The transmission is the stock jetaway and will be swapped for a mild th350. I'm already installing the exhaust, transmission, and intake. I was able to score these 3 items for low prices from ebay, this forum, and a local speed-shop. I'd like to put in a quick-ratio steering box, new bushings all around, a disc brake conversion in the front, and a new sway bar in the rear. I have confidence in my DIY-abilities for this since I have restored many motorcycles in the past.

For wheels I am looking at 17 inch Torq-thrush II's from American Racing, tires are undecided at the moment.

The biggest thing I feel people are going to comment on is the fact that I'd be doing so much work to a 4 door, but I'm okay with that. I agree that stock 4 door cars aren't the coolest looking things around, I want to challenge that mindset. I'm in college for an engineering degree and would like to have a nice car to show off when I graduate, and maybe try my hand at designing something unique for my car. I didn't get into this hobby to do what others do; I want to do my own thing and learn along the way. However, I'm not looking to waste my money either. If you guys think a 4 door hotrod is ridiculous/worthless then drag me back down to earth before I reach orbit xD.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 11:10 PM

Just do it. Never seen the appeal of two-doors. And i have two-door.
4-doors get all the chicks, two doors just get you wife and kids..

Your Photoshop gives some visual guidance how it would like, and i like it. I think it would look great with the mods you mentioned, minus the rims. But thats just me, i like 15's all around with plenty of meat on tires themselves.
Is the car otherwise at sound condition? I would look most to that. Rust issues?
Old April 3rd, 2018, 11:19 PM

The car is really solid where it matters, and runs/drives perfectly. Being a Florida car I do have some rust by the door corners, trunk, and the window channels but it has yet to become super noticeable(bubbles and stains, nothing all the way through besides the trunk). We do get a lot of rain here, so I want to attack that rust asap to prevent it from spreading.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 11:34 PM

You asked so I'm going to tell you. I think you have your priorities out of order. You're talking about spending unnecessary money when Your first job is to set yourself up for life career and an engineering degree is a great choice.

Your car is an OK ride for a college student as is. I would put about 99 percent of your time and money into getting the engineering degree and passing the post graduate exams that will get you the Professional Engineer certificate. Use car money to keep it going. You can refine your planning for modifications while you are getting through college.

Even if someone else is paying for your college it really looks bad to be spending unnecessary money modifying a car when chances are they sacrificed things they wanted to save for your education. If you are borrowing to get through school borrow less and use some of the car modification money on school expenses instead.

A year or two after you get out of engineering school things will likely look different. Chances are when you get around to making modifications your mind may have changed on what you want to do with the car and now you will have the funds to do it.

I think I know where you're coming from as I had the hot rod bug from about age 10 and never stopped having it except I stopped spending on the hobby through college and graduate school for all the reasons outlined above. Sure enough when I graduated I resumed the hobby as money allowed and its been a great lifelong passion.
Jerry
ps. Your modification plans sound OK to me. I kinda like the idea of a mildly modified four door sedan.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
You asked so I'm going to tell you. I think you have your priorities out of order. You're talking about spending unnecessary money when Your first job is to set yourself up for life career and an engineering degree is a great choice.

Your car is an OK ride for a college student as is. I would put about 99 percent of your time and money into getting the engineering degree and passing the post graduate exams that will get you the Professional Engineer certificate. Use car money to keep it going. You can refine your planning for modifications while you are getting through college.

Even if someone else is paying for your college it really looks bad to be spending unnecessary money modifying a car when chances are they sacrificed things they wanted to save for your education. If you are borrowing to get through school borrow less and use some of the car modification money on school expenses instead.

A year or two after you get out of engineering school things will likely look different. Chances are when you get around to making modifications your mind may have changed on what you want to do with the car and now you will have the funds to do it.

I think I know where you're coming from as I had the hot rod bug from about age 10 and never stopped having it except I stopped spending on the hobby through college and graduate school for all the reasons outlined above. Sure enough when I graduated I resumed the hobby as money allowed and its been a great lifelong passion.
Jerry
ps. Your modification plans sound OK to me. I kinda like the idea of a mildly modified four door sedan.
47 Convertible, waiting on most of this stuff is very reasonable, this was mostly for feelers on the concept. I won't be taking classes this summer so I'll end up putting in maximum hours at my job and doing rust repair in my free time. While I plan on addressing the rust, the paint, wheels, mechanical mods, and interior will happen much later.
I can handle driving a car with a 2bbl intake and single exhaust, but I can't stand seeing rust form, if that makes sense.
Old April 4th, 2018, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel Alborn
47 Convertible, waiting on most of this stuff is very reasonable, this was mostly for feelers on the concept. I won't be taking classes this summer so I'll end up putting in maximum hours at my job and doing rust repair in my free time. While I plan on addressing the rust, the paint, wheels, mechanical mods, and interior will happen much later.
I can handle driving a car with a 2bbl intake and single exhaust, but I can't stand seeing rust form, if that makes sense.
__________________________________________________ _______

Makes good sense to me. I hate to see cars rot away from lack of care and if you have the skill sets and tools to do the job, it is fairly inexpensive. Better odds of finding a panel for a 4 dr.if you need one.