Project 1974 Omega.. Feel free to help/advice.

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I am "74omega" NO SPACE

Project 1974 Omega.. Feel free to help/advice.

Well It's time to start. 1974 omega, factory buckets,A/C,console shift, 350 4bbl.. pretty much unmolested virgin car besides true duals and what I have done to the 350..

Feel free to be a critic and give constructive criticism.. I need all the help as this is my first V-8 car I worked on, as You can see I'm a import guy..

I went to change my power steering pump as I suspect a bad one due to a knocking sound in the pulley area. Turns out the keyway on the crank must be bad as I can move the crank pulley 1" in either direction with the centerbolt not moving.. I'm suspecting a grooved crankshaft from this.

I have a 455 with comp cams roller valvetrain & dual springs that has fairly fresh heads, mallory dist/coil,torker 455, new edelbrock cam blah. blah. blah.. It came out of a jet boat.Has yet to be taken apart.

The 455 is NOT an option to swap in. It complicates things for me and needs more stuff than I have in the garage to complete.I do not think my factory A/c will shoehorn in , also they don't make headers for this application. The 403 will be a direct drop in..

I also have a set of redone #5 heads waiting in the trunk..

I also have a 403 that I bought for $50 and I pulled the heads off to check the walls. The heads were done and the engine was an obvious oil pumper, but the walls are in excellent shape and this will be my base..

I will take the virgin 403 and send it out for a 30 over, turn the crank, and order a rebuild kit for it without pistons. I will order the keith black pistons seperately(once I do CR math to yield me something under the 10:1 so I can be pump gas 91 octane friendly, again advise will help here lol.. ), put the #5 heads with the roller valvetrain off the 455, utilize the mallory unilite dist/coil from the 455, probably use a JM camshaft of unknown specs as of now (Or can I use the new edelbrock in the 455?), utilize my holley 650 DP with 30cc/50cc pumps., use my edelbrock RPM manifold, hooker uncoated headers (I cant afford the $800 coated versions) etc..

The rearend i will just find a GM 410408 unit and run 340-ish gear ratio. I have a b&m transkit for the TH350 and a 2200 stall waiting for it also.

I also bought a set of MINT CRAGAR street stars with all caps a lugs & tires for $200 recently from craigslist off a 70' lemans. they are 15x8 all of them (I want to trade a pair for 15x6 or 7's for the front of my car.)

I will sell off most the 455 parts like the block, torker 455, the bare heads etc.. to help fund this project.. Thanks again guys..

PICS.. BTW: If anyone is curious my garage is a 2 car with extended work area it is 35x20.. sorry its messy right now lol..

Last edited by 74omega; March 30th, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old March 31st, 2009, 04:31 AM
Registered Luser

looks like a nice project! You also have an extended screen area!
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:40 AM
78cutlass

my motor guy suggested staying 20-over to be on the safe side. in my 403, which is currently being built, i used a set of light forged 6" Chevy rods, light forged custom pistons (accept standard Chevy pin) & an early Olds 350 nodular crank. I used a set of #5's that were "tricked out" for improved airflow. the target compression ratio is in the 9s.
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:40 AM

Looks like that 455 is screaming to Your Omega, Let me in woee let me in. Would make a cool ride watcha think
Old March 31st, 2009, 11:50 AM
I am "74omega" NO SPACE

Originally Posted by citcapp
Looks like that 455 is screaming to Your Omega, Let me in woee let me in. Would make a cool ride watcha think
It has crossed my mind a time.. Or two.. Or three. I have had daydreams of a built 455 omega screaming down the track, but the I looked in my empty pocket book and was quickly brought back to reality... I just do not want to run into anything I do not know much about or that will nickle and dime/fabricate me to death. Not many people have 73-74 omega's and shoved a 455 in it, yet alone retained all the comforts, so writeup's are not abundant to help me.

With that said, In order for me not to follow citcapp's subliminal messages I have started to strip the 455 today and have ordered my 403's rebuild kit.
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:44 PM

the Omega looks just like the 74 GTO, and basically it is a NOVA which came with big blocks, (earlier ones) I personally don't think it would be that hard to drop the 455 in, headers I don't know about but maybe a set of 442 manifolds would be ok... I personally think this thing is screaming for a 69 hurst olds hood and a rear wing, maybe an updated white and gold paint job too.... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM LOL
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
I personally think this thing is screaming for a 69 hurst olds hood and a rear wing, maybe an updated white and gold paint job too.... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM LOL

well a rush job but this is sorta what was dancing in my head, maybe trans am or early 442 air extractors on the lower part of the front fenders to keep the engine bay cooler... I dunno
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
omegahurst.jpg (54.2 KB, 23 views)
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:05 PM

photoshop..

when I said rush job just to be clear it was in photoshop... LOL... if it was only that easy in real life