1966 Olds 98 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2017, 09:30 AM

First startup!

Old April 28th, 2017, 09:19 PM

The car went to the alignment shop today, they sorted it out in short order. We have an appointment with the exhaust guy next week.

Since I started this thread, I noticed that this project wasn't as major as some others, but it was quite enough for us.

Thanks for watching!
Old June 27th, 2023, 04:36 PM

Tonea

I have a 1966 ninety eight Oldsmobile and I need a Switch Pitch kick down switch for mine, been looking for months and had no luck. Does anyone know where I can find one? I really would appreciate any help with this. Thanks in advance!!
Old June 27th, 2023, 06:51 PM

Call French Lake Auto Parts in MN for used (which may or may not work…) or go high $ and check Oldsobsolete.com for a square Littlefuse one which will work but is expen$$ive.

Chris
Old June 27th, 2023, 07:00 PM

Leander,
Surprised I’ve not read through your thread before. I’ve had one of these cars since, well, new (If you count my Dad as previous owner). Not many of us around. I got going on my on-the-road restoration in the 1980’s and so much fun with it that I eventually bought a ‘66 Starfire too.

Anyway, dig around under my username for more than a few posts on ‘66 98 convertibles. I mostly stay away from engine stuff, but I’m o.k. on the ancillary stuff like window adjustment, electrical, carbs and so on. I’m no reviewer or judge, but very well played upgrading to discs and dual master. That was the Achilles heel for keeping these cars on a modern road. We both went the same route.

At the risk of overstepping, can I suggest you look into the later qjet series 170 carbs to acquire a center fuel inlet as compared to the factor side inlet? In the 80’s I had a carb fire from a leaky freeze plug using a side inlet rebuilt qjet. I believe the later 170 series qjets are safer & you can get ‘em in 800 CFM versions which seem to work well on the 425/455. I also recommend the later (though clearly not factory) internally regulated alternators with higher outputs than 1966 if you put in later electronics. I’ve put in a few and am happy.

When you have a moment, would you post your brake booster and master cylinder solution? My brake MC pipe outlets are on the inner fender side, not the engine side and I’ve never liked it. We had to hammer a gap to allow it to fit and the bends are too tight for my liking. But it works.

If you have picky questions about these cars, I may be able to help.

Cheers
Chris
Old June 28th, 2023, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by cfair
Call French Lake Auto Parts in MN for used (which may or may not work…) or go high $ and check Oldsobsolete.com for a square Littlefuse one which will work but is expen$$ive.

Chris
Thanks a lot for the response and info I will definitely check them out!
Old June 28th, 2023, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by cfair
Leander,
Surprised I’ve not read through your thread before. I’ve had one of these cars since, well, new (If you count my Dad as previous owner). Not many of us around. I got going on my on-the-road restoration in the 1980’s and so much fun with it that I eventually bought a ‘66 Starfire too.

Anyway, dig around under my username for more than a few posts on ‘66 98 convertibles. I mostly stay away from engine stuff, but I’m o.k. on the ancillary stuff like window adjustment, electrical, carbs and so on. I’m no reviewer or judge, but very well played upgrading to discs and dual master. That was the Achilles heel for keeping these cars on a modern road. We both went the same route.

At the risk of overstepping, can I suggest you look into the later qjet series 170 carbs to acquire a center fuel inlet as compared to the factor side inlet? In the 80’s I had a carb fire from a leaky freeze plug using a side inlet rebuilt qjet. I believe the later 170 series qjets are safer & you can get ‘em in 800 CFM versions which seem to work well on the 425/455. I also recommend the later (though clearly not factory) internally regulated alternators with higher outputs than 1966 if you put in later electronics. I’ve put in a few and am happy.

When you have a moment, would you post your brake booster and master cylinder solution? My brake MC pipe outlets are on the inner fender side, not the engine side and I’ve never liked it. We had to hammer a gap to allow it to fit and the bends are too tight for my liking. But it works.

If you have picky questions about these cars, I may be able to help.

Cheers
Chris
Thanks for your insight on what you know Pertaining these cars and i will post pics when I get a chance, and also if I have questions i will definitely reach out to you.