make a strip/street car
83.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

what should i do

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2013, 06:30 PM
major noob

what should i do

OK I have a 77 omega six and I'm 16 should I try and restore it (costly right now) or should I get it drivable and make a street/strip car with what I can afford
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

16 is a great age to start working on a project, but as far as us telling you what you should do, it would be more appropriate to start researching how much it would cost to build - either way. Chances are you're still living at home - so this is a subject you might want to bring up with your Mom and Dad. Maybe your Dad would love to do a project with you?? Great way to get to know the old man better; but also could be a head butting situation depending on how well you get along.

If the car is not drivable right now and you just want to get it to beater stage? Yup, have at her. But in all honesty a 77 Omega isn't high on the list of stand out cars. And parts for them are hard to find also. They do have some similar sheet metal with the Nova and Skylark, but even that needs some tweaking.

In case no one has ever told you, cars (as hobbies) are money pits that just don't give back anything except the fun of the build and the drive. All of us who are into this hobby can tell you the same thing - I have more money in my car than I care to admit. And it's not an investment either.
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:48 PM
major noob

Yra my dad is gonna help and really a beater stage is all I want Ik I'm might get flamed for this but I like the beater classic cars I would love to own a nice one but we all know the economy sucks right now
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nothing wrong with that at all. Beater cars have their place. Just make sure you address the safety issues that will allow it to pass a state inspection and you're golden. Enjoy driving the car. What would be cool is if you were taking automotives at school or college and could take the car in to be worked on as a class project. Just take the lead and define what you want the car to turn out like. Just a thought.
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:52 PM

Just take it slow and do little by little. Don't take everything apart. Fix things little by little and keep on driving the car. Many cars have been ruined by people taking everything apart and not being able to put it all together again
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Im a fan for a beater street strip car. I would do good drive train, suspension, brakes. everything to make it reliable and then focus on the body. Im actually looking for a car eventually to have a a bit if a sleeper beater kinda like this

Old September 26th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Administrator

My car started as a beater for a kid your age, you can look at the photo album. He didn't want it, so I've been playing with it since 09. Take it slow one project at a time.
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:44 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Im a fan for a beater street strip car. I would do good drive train, suspension, brakes. everything to make it reliable and then focus on the body. Im actually looking for a car eventually to have a a bit if a sleeper beater kinda like this

Still waiting for you down here in Texas sir
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:51 PM

sicky the logistics and money didn't work out lol. Current ride needs a trans. Rebuilding that myself and I also had to do the front end suspension. Plus realisticly I don't have the time I think I have lol.
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Justin

I agree with all the above get it driving and all safety issues addressed then pick a part add to it if you get board pick another and switch between them.

I have a very short attention span, so I been moving all over the board on my build. most likely not the best way to go about it, but it keeps me and the family entertained!
Old September 27th, 2013, 03:02 AM
major noob

Originally Posted by oldstata
I agree with all the above get it driving and all safety issues addressed then pick a part add to it if you get board pick another and switch between them.

I have a very short attention span, so I been moving all over the board on my build. most likely not the best way to go about it, but it keeps me and the family entertained!
That's my problem I have ADHD and I can't make up my mind about anything
Old September 27th, 2013, 03:46 AM

"That's my problem I have ADHD and I can't make up my mind about anything "

Well that may be the case but being 16 has a lot to do with that as well.... Make it safe first as mentioned above. Enjoy your ride and learn from it. I take it this is the first car that belongs to you? We always fall in love with them!
fix it up a little at a time and enjoy the hell out of it. You are only 16 once... but 17 is even better...
I suspect all of us on this site did something really stupid with our cars at your age... high possibility that it will be damaged... keep that in mind as well.
If you are up north, go to a big empty parking lot with your dad after it snows and do a few skids and slides together... it will help you see 18....

Last edited by kitfoxdave; September 27th, 2013 at 03:54 AM. Reason: wetware failure...
Old September 27th, 2013, 03:58 AM
major noob

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
"That's my problem I have ADHD and I can't make up my mind about anything "

Well that may be the case but being 16 has a lot to do with that as well.... Make it safe first as mentioned above. Enjoy your ride and learn from it. I take it this is the first car that belongs to you? We always fall in love with them!
fix it up a little at a time and enjoy the hell out of it. You are only 16 once... but 17 is even better...
I suspect all of us on this site did something really stupid with our cars at your age... high possibility that it will be damaged... keep that in mind as well.
If you are up north, go to a big empty parking lot with your dad after it snows and do a few skids and slides together... it will help you see 18....
I wasn't using it as an excuse if that's what it came off as and yea I'm gonna enjoy it after I slap a 305 chebby engine in it until I can get a 350 to slap in it to make greeeeaaat power
Old September 27th, 2013, 05:56 AM

I have add. Never took meds ever. When I did my resto I completely took it apart this was when I was 17 7 years ago. If you love working on cars focus won't be an issue . I was the poster child for bad student but when it comes to working with my hands I'm all focus. I started my car at 17 had it done by 19 . I made little to no money still lived at home which was a big plus. 3/4 of my pacycheck used to go towards my car. I didn't go out with my friends , I didn't party I just went to the shop and worked on my junk.
Old September 27th, 2013, 06:22 AM
11.52 @116

Originally Posted by billmerbach
OK I have a 77 omega six and I'm 16 should I try and restore it (costly right now) or should I get it drivable and make a street/strip car with what I can afford
Where are you located? I'm looking to clean out the garage and I have a 70 Olds 350 here to get rid of for cheap.
We just sold our house and everything will eventually need to go into storage and I dont have a use for this anymore.
Old September 27th, 2013, 06:28 AM
delete

Make it a hot rod and have fun with it smoking tire.
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:26 AM

No accusation of ADHD being an "excuse" I know how bad that can be, I had a cub scout den with 3 kids with ADHD in it. It is difficult enough to focus as a "normal" 16 year old....
If you give us an idea where you are located, there are plenty of us crazy car guys with extra 350's around that might be given "to a good cause" We really are a bunch of softies inside... Can be rather "crusty" on the outside though! ;-)
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:39 AM
major noob

I live in Claremont nc
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think the thing you need the most is as mentor. It could be your dad, an uncle or a friend. They will help you learn and they will also help you focus on your car. If you are going with a 305 Chevy, go for it and don't change mid-stream. We still need those pictures. We know it is not a show car and most on here are not.
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:47 AM
major noob

I'm trying to upload pics it just takes forever
Old September 27th, 2013, 10:50 AM
major noob

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I have add. Never took meds ever When I did my resto I completely took it apart this was when I was 17 7 years ago. If you love working on cars focus won't be an issue . I was the poster child for bad student but when it comes to working with my hands I'm all focus. I started my car at 17 had it done by 19 . I made little to no money still lived at home which was a big plus. 3/4 of my pacycheck used to go towards my car. I didn't go out with my friends , I didn't party I just went to the shop and worked on my junk.
That's the way I am I'm very finnicky about my car and when i get focused I get really po'd when I get disturbed
Old September 27th, 2013, 11:44 AM

"That's the way I am I'm very finnicky about my car and when i get focused I get really po'd when I get disturbed"

LMAO! you're in the right place! most of us on here get po'd when someone bothers us while working on our cars! and po'd when things go wrong... (and they will!) like forgetting to tighten the nuts on the starter before bolting it in place! and then having to take it off and redo it! Welcome aboard and good luck with your project! Hope someone here comes up with a 350 rocket for you.... Get all the factory manuals you can for your car they are a HUGE help! you might try ebay, or bookfinder for them....
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:48 PM
major noob

Lol ik
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Justin

On pics the best way is use a off sight like photo bucket or one of your choice copy IMG number insert in the messages works great
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:52 PM
major noob

OK thanks
Old September 28th, 2013, 09:51 AM

Try Faststone Photo resizer it's free and works well for me .

And remember the two most expensive things in the world at 16 are a car and a girlfriend. One or the other will suffer if you have both at the sametime. Plan your expenditures wisely or one or both will be sitting on the curb waiting for something to happen....Tedd
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:08 PM
major noob

Haha thanks tedd
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

ADD or not, I've never met a 16 year old who could think in a straight line for more than about a minute and a half (in my case, was about as long as I could go without thinking of sex).
Doesn't matter - you've got a low budget and, fortunately, you've got a low-budget car.
Don't overthink or overplan it, just go in the direction that seems right (like, if someone offers you a free engine, take it), and follow it wherever it goes.
None of this is a lifetime commitment. If you do something and change your mind later, you can always change what you did. Also, as others have pointed out, first cars do not have a great reputation for longevity (I spent six months fixing mine up just the way I wanted it, and it lasted ten days on the road), so if you do make any grand plans, don't assume that they will actually happen.

Also, pay attention to function first and appearance second.
Don't paint a non-running car. Don't install anything on it, either.
Get it running first, then get it safe, then get it running well.
Once you're driving it, you can begin to think about improving looks or increasing performance.
As I may have said in another thread, you can drive it or work on it - your choice. I think it's better to drive a beat-up car than to take the bus home and look at a pretty car in the garage that you can't drive (actually, this applies to girls, too - sometimes the prettiest ones will just sit around absorbing your money and not performing in the way that you might have hoped).

As for girls and cars, as Queen said in "I'm in Love with My Car,"
"Told my girl I'll have to forget her
Rather buy me a new carburetor
So she made tracks saying
This is the end now
Cars don't talk back
They're just four wheeled friends now
"

Women hold a very important place, but cars are more forgiving, reliable, and trustworthy.
You can get PO'd at a car and walk away from it for a month, and it will be just like you left it when you come back in a better mood. If you try that with a girl, the end result will be different.
A car will never decide it likes your best friend better, and no longer go anywhere with you.
There is no doubt that cars will require maintenance, but for the most part, their needs are predictable, and are even written down on a chart in the owner's manual.
Women require frequent maintenance at completely unpredictable intervals, and there is no manual to tell you what you need to do (although, come to think of it, you can sometimes look at a chart to see when you're most in danger...).
Finally, when your time with a girl is over, you're out whatever money you put into her, and get nothing in return, but when it's over for a car, there is a decent chance someone will pay you cash to get it out of your hair.

Good luck!

- Eric
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:47 PM

I'm 18. I bought my 72 Cutlass for $100 when I was 15 and restored it with my dad. I love the car and I tried to do everything perfectly, but I feel like I should have been more focused on reliability. Don't focus on making it pretty or fast, make it reliable and just daily drive it; you'll enjoy it more anyway. Cars are meant to be driven, If you get it drivable you'll be able to enjoy it much more while your in school and you can save money for college. Mine sat in the garage far too long. Omegas are unique, so you won't have to do much for people to appreciate it.
I'd leave the six in it for a while and just make it run nice. Your money would best be spent on a new radiator and a brake rebuild. If you just purchased the car, I'd replace the tranny fluid. People tend not to do that often enough and just end up baking them.
Old September 29th, 2013, 05:38 AM
major noob

Very good info guys thanks but I gotta find BME a radiator support first jedidiah
Old September 29th, 2013, 07:42 AM

There's a lot of life experience in that post, Eric. Some would say bitterness, but 'realism' is more appropriate, I think.

Bill: As Eric said, get it running and drive it as it is. Only then can you better understand what you want in a car.