Swapping Front Discs and Spindles; newer to Older Models

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Texas Jim

Swapping Front Discs and Spindles; newer to Older Models

Question: Do the front hubs, or spindle set-ups, on newer models interchange w/ any of the front hubs, or spindle set-ups, on the older models? Are the front bearings, inner and outer, the same size/interchangeable on any of the different years? I continually see guys making that swap, drum to disc, using aftermarket items and was wondering if it could be done using factory items of newer years. Thanks in advance.
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:40 AM
car guy

You can buy brackets from KORE3 that allow C5/C6 brakes to bolt right up. You do have to run at least 17" wheels to run this swap though.
Old November 30th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by gearheads78
You can buy brackets from KORE3 that allow C5/C6 brakes to bolt right up. You do have to run at least 17" wheels to run this swap though.
I didn't even relate the "C" series reference, as my mind is far away from 'Vettes when I'm on this site.
I wasn't referring to aftermarket items. I meant, ie; '70 front disc brakes from a Olds 98 or Cutlass fitting ie; a '64 Olds (whatever model). I'm only using these years and models f/ an example.
My question was; Could you find a later model Olds w/ front discs that would fit an older model? Swapping a later model front brake assy. onto an older model. Are any of the Olds years interchangeable? Can the spindle assys. be swapped w/o modification, are the wheel bearings the same size on any two years, early and late models, etc. ?
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:05 AM
car guy

If you are talking A-body then yes any 64-72 drum brake cars will interchange with any A-body with disk brakes
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:37 PM

SWEET!! thats some good info how bout for B-Body's?
Old November 30th, 2009, 11:36 PM

My Delta would love some front disc brakes....I'm all ears.
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
If you are talking A-body then yes any 64-72 drum brake cars will interchange with any A-body with disk brakes
As well as 68/69 F bodies, and 73 and 74 X bodies.

This is a topic that gets asked over and over again almost monthly on the majority of Olds sites. I'm not saying its a BAD question, because its not. its just the information is already out there.

Additionally what car are you looking to do the swap with? Do you WANT factory parts or will aftermarket do? Do you want to make modifications to your exsisting drum spindle that will allow a stock caliper bracket and backing plate?? That is another option.

As far as swaps from B body to A body, there are some that have been done with modifications. Do you want to put rear discs on an early 8.5 rear with GM parts from the junkyard? This can be done as well...

John