Suspension help

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2012, 08:54 PM

Suspension help

Hows it going out there in olds world ok im just starting my first front end rebuild kit instalation ofr the first time heres what i done so far i got one side jacked up supported with jack stand i removed the shock removed all the cotter pins that i could find wondering what should be my next move ? do i need to remove the rotors or can they stay put ? and sholud i jack up the other side now and put it on jack stand so the car is leveled so far everting seems pretty simple i can see everything i need to change just wanna do it in the right order so it wont be dangerous any ideas will be helpful
Old February 19th, 2012, 09:30 PM

So tell us what is in the front end rebuild kit that you bought. Is it just the steering joints or are you replacing the ball joints and A-Arm bushings too? Removing the front springs can be dangerous so make sure you've got a clear plan before removing the nuts that hold the ball joints on. You said you removed cotter keys, the ball joint nuts have cotter keys too. If you can post pictures of your project that would be better yet, but please describe to us what you want to do before pulling more things apart. John
Old February 19th, 2012, 10:16 PM

2-tie rod adjusting sleeve
2=outer tie rod ends
2- inner tie rod ends
2-lower ball joints
2-upper ball joints
2- sway bar link kit
2-upper control arm bushing kit
1- sway bar bushing kit
2- small circular hole -lower control arm bushing kit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ashocks.jpg (25.5 KB, 27 views)
new part.jpg (37.1 KB, 27 views)
tn.jpg (36.4 KB, 27 views)
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:57 PM

I need to do this to our 72 also! Good luck!
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Registered

To replace all those parts you'll have to remove the springs and steering knuckles so basically you'll have to take apart just about everything.
The center link, idler arm, and springs are okay?

Best better check out Rob's thread on giving his Lady a front end job.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post264807
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:43 AM

Definatly do some reading ahead of time. Whatever you do, do not take the upper ball joint nut all the way off before using a pickle fork and a jack under the lower A arm. Some like to use a spring compressor or at least tie off the spring before lowering the jack. I have never had it happen, but I have heard some nasty stories about springs when they come flying out. Yes read Rob's thread.
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by ziff396
Definatly do some reading ahead of time. Whatever you do, do not take the upper ball joint nut all the way off before using a pickle fork and a jack under the lower A arm. Some like to use a spring compressor or at least tie off the spring before lowering the jack. I have never had it happen, but I have heard some nasty stories about springs when they come flying out. Yes read Rob's thread.
X2. The amount of stored energy in a front coil spring is substantial and nothing to be fooled with. You would be well advised to enlist the help of someone to assist you with this endeavour, and proceed only after understanding what the job entails and how to do it safely.
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:45 AM

I suspect the pretty red paint on those bushings will make them even bigger bears to press in! I would wirewheel it off if it interferes as much as I suspect it will.

Be sure to insert some kind of steel rod through the shock holes during disassy to retain the spring if something goes wrong and it tries to launch.
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:54 AM

You deffinately need to remove just about everything. I'm in the process of doing mine.
IMG_0258.jpgIMG_0270.jpg
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:48 AM

thanks for all of your answers i finally got off the coil springs wasnt as bad as everybody made it seem i know they can be under alot of pressure but being so it looks like someone may have cut the spring to lower the car and theres no motor the spring didnt have much pressure behind them the rest should go pretty smooth i already took the control arms to the machine shop there replacing the bushing for me so i think i can handle the rest i will post pics when i finish thanks again for you guys time