Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2017, 07:33 AM

Nice attention to detail Copper, looks great
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Registered car nut

Good going, you move right along.
Anxious to see it in fresh Copper!
Old April 7th, 2017, 04:30 PM

Looks real good. I admire your drive and enthusiasm.
Old April 7th, 2017, 07:01 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Put some work on this week.

wed/thu
Got the mud work done on the pillars and primered them up and spotted in color where the fenders bolt up.

today friday

i put the doors back on. tommorow i will put the fenders and wheel houses back up as sunday my good buddy and member 67cutlassfreak will help me wire up all my aux. stuff as im brain dead when it comes to electrical. After this the car will sit for a few weeks pulling it out in the sun and paint hopefully late april early may.

Again thanks guys for tuning in to the thread. I enjoy sharing what i do .

Old April 7th, 2017, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Put some work on this week.

wed/thu
Got the mud work done on the pillars and primered them up and spotted in color where the fenders bolt up.

today friday

i put the doors back on. tommorow i will put the fenders and wheel houses back up as sunday my good buddy and member 67cutlassfreak will help me wire up all my aux. stuff as im brain dead when it comes to electrical. After this the car will sit for a few weeks pulling it out in the sun and paint hopefully late april early may.

Again thanks guys for tuning in to the thread. I enjoy sharing what i do .

Nice work you got mad skills I can only dream about doing half the stuff you do.😀😉
Old April 8th, 2017, 07:49 PM

Today i got the fenders on and the wheel houses back on and i cleaned up the interior and undid all my old aux. wiring for the fans and water pump drive. Tomorrow my buddy and i will re wire it all up. I undid alot of old wiring i had done and that was interesting lol. Took out all the gauges minues the oil psi and water temp.

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 8th, 2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old April 8th, 2017, 09:41 PM

Really looking nice Dood! I'm looking forward to seeing it all go back together. And I was wondering about some of that wiring you exposed in a few of your previous photos. I would enjoy a few new photos of the repaired wiring. A ride as renewed as yours will be deserves some classy new copper.

Hoist.gifHoist.gifHoist.gif
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Hoist.gif (36.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: gif
Hoist.gif (36.9 KB, 0 views)
Old April 9th, 2017, 05:59 PM

So today we got alot done and got most of the wiring done. I also go suckered into running an MSD ignition box. I really want to run locked out timing but need a way to retard the timing while cranking it. The MSD unit allows that and the gains in performance will come in faster rpms and stronger 60 ft. times for me.

I also learned the importance of tightening the fenders all the way before putting it on jack stands. it also did not help we worked with the doors open and had 2 duded working in there. Im sure the car was not designed to be worked on that way lol But they didnt shift too muc and shifter to my advantage in a way. I just have to trim the inner lip on the fender so it does not catch the edge of the door. It barely chipped the primer. Im really glad i found this out now.

Big thanks to member and my good friend 67cutlassfreak for the help on the wiring. Im not the best when it comes with electrical but he made me do the work and made me understand why we where doing what we where doing.

Old April 10th, 2017, 06:06 AM

That does look better! The wrinkle wall tubing can hide a multitude of sins!
You are really pulling this together quickly.
Old April 12th, 2017, 10:30 AM

Thanks. It looks like paint will be delayed but its well worth it in the end. Doing alot of stuff now that is easier than if i put it off.
Old April 15th, 2017, 06:23 PM

Well i got alot done this week. fans are wired up. I used weather packs so if they burn out i can disconnect them . I got my line lock for the burn out box wired up and lines all bent and installed, I fixed my transmission leak which was a loose dipstick and a few bolts that needed to be snugged, the starter is in and wired up and the exhaust is back on. Hopefully next weekend we wil have sound again !!!! for the first time since nov.

Also caught a little issue. I left my fender gaps a little tight up top and when the car is on jack stands the edge on the inside just catches the edge of the door slightly. So i gonna remove 3/8ths from it and re spot the paint in the inside of the fender. No real big deal but it should be more than enough room for future shifting due to drag strip launches.

Old April 19th, 2017, 10:41 AM

Well yesterday was pretty exciting . I got to test my wiring out and everything works. Now all i have to do i make my panel for the switch panel . If that makes sense. Should be up and running again this weekend.

IN my best intrest im going to start driving the car to work and pop the bumpers on and the front windsheild.

The reason for this is the car needs to see some daylight to let the materials expand and contract and shrink down so that when its painted down the road i wont see stuff that hadnt settled.

Old April 22nd, 2017, 08:35 PM

Well. I got the car fired up again. I also had to trim the inside lip of the fenders. Seems i left my gaps a little too tight and left not much room for the door to swing open so i took the doors off and cut off almost 3/8ths from that section just to be safe. I also had to repaint that inner edge. Tommorow i got a few things to button up but after that its final prep for paint which will be blocking wet sanding and priming any spots needed after blocking. I really would like to have it painted mid may. Got alot of work to do but its not impossible.

Old April 24th, 2017, 04:30 PM
car guy

Its looking good
Old April 24th, 2017, 08:34 PM

Got a little done work today. Topped off the radiator , finally wired in my ign. to a key source , Need to re bleed the brakes i think i may have a bad wheel cylinder pedal is soggy but for now the brakes are the last mechanical thing left before paint. Im excited to be honest that i may have this car painted in may.

Old April 24th, 2017, 10:15 PM

Got a little done work today. Topped off the radiator , finally wired in my ign. to a key source , Need to re bleed the brakes i think i may have a bad wheel cylinder pedal is soggy but for now the brakes are the last mechanical thing left before paint. Im excited to be honest that i may have this car painted in may.

Nice work
Old April 25th, 2017, 08:31 AM
car guy

Centerlines might be worth a little more today. Heard they closed down a couple days ago
Old April 25th, 2017, 08:39 PM

Yes centerline is no more. It is a sad day. Such an iconic name . You see the wheels and you know they are centerlines and the knock offs where also called centerlines and even the cragar super tricks which came out before them are commonly called centerlines. I originally wanted cragar super tricks but they are not very well suited for the street so i got the auto drags ( used ) dated 7/87 and still in amazing shape. Im glad i got them when i did.
Old April 30th, 2017, 05:03 PM

A much needed update. Ok i spent a full week tracing down brake issues that i thought was just a bad bleed job turned into a can of worms. Between a bad cylinder and a line that was letting in air but not showing a leak. I had my work cut out.

I got it figured out with advice from my good friend and member 67cutlassfreak. I installed and bled the master just as he told me and i still had no pedal. Turns out one of my wheel cylinder hard lines needed a good snug and we got our pedal back.

In the next week im installing new rear shocks and doing long bolts and double nutting the control arms at a much looser setting for fast action at the strip. After this whole brake fiasco I decided to do all new lines in the front. Now that i know what i had going on i feel much better about throwing money at the situation.

After that its pretty much all hand on deck for body work. We have had crappy weather the last few weeks so its worked to my advantage and given me more time to mess with the issues that have slowed me down .

My fiberglass hood and decklid are 6 weeks out. so the body will get painted before those parts. I think late may memorial day weekend it might happen. I HOPE LOL.
Old May 7th, 2017, 07:04 PM

OK so this weekend was pretty much same as the last . I got the new wheel cyl line in and bled the brakes but still was not happy. I slept on it and today ( sunday) i messed with it and after some self speculation replace the master cyl. line to the prop valve on the front lines and got a pedal i felt much better about.

On another note i had the ol girl out in the sun letting the primer get that UV bake.

Tommorow ( monday ) my dad will be stopping by to help me bleed the brakes as i only gravity bled them and hopefully thats it.

The game plan will be to start blocking the body before the week is over. the weather had been unseasonably cool so its worked to my advantage with these mechanical set backs.

Thanks to anyone following. I promise something more exciting will come along soon enough. Not that brakes are not exciting but its tense as safety is #1 specially as i race it.

I also got my aluminum drums for the front., and they are in great shape. It's pretty cool they came off an older olds race car and getting put back to use on mine.

Old May 7th, 2017, 09:55 PM

Many years ago I found a pair of aluminum brake drums at a wrecking yard and put them on my Camaro. I can't say it did anything worthwhile on a strictly street vehicle but I thought it was a nice upgrade since I knew the yard manager and he gave them to me for $5. On the front of yours you are saving some significant rolling unsprung weight. In typical driving situations it probably won't be noticeable but it may be worth a bit of confidence when saying Whoah at the end of the track.
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:13 PM

I have created a tall order but not impossible.

I started to block sand the car tonight. I got the fenders blocked out and they came out great only on spot where i blocked thorough the primer to level off a high spot.

I also started blocking the doors but i decided to sand the primer thats on there and im going to poly primer them block and seal. The reason for this is because the work the doors need is not much. Instead of puting glazing putty in a few areas im going to sand it all off lay down some much thicker poly primer block them down and not need any filler then seal. Long story on why i decided to take a step back but in the end its a much better choice.

Tommorow night im going to attack the quarter panels and roof.

Sat. im going to sand down the doors and primer them in the poly primer.

through out next week. Im going to wet sand all the areas i dry blocked and dry block the doors ( not wet sanding them) .

Once all the areas are wet sanded and the doors are dry blocked the entire car will receive a seal coat of primer. the panels that have been wet sanded will get two tin coats and the doors will get 3 medium build coats to block with 320 dry and finish with 600 wet along with the rest of the car.

I may add the doors are very straight as i did new door skins but the areas that need a little filler are the door edges where i crimped the skin. Its very very minimal but if i skim coat the edges with putty its more work than sanding off whats there and applying the poly primer on the bare metal.

The goal is to have the body painted by memorial day weekend or first weekend of june.

i wont see my hood or deck lid for another 3 weeks or so.

Old May 11th, 2017, 08:48 PM

You're crushing this! Coming along great!
Old May 12th, 2017, 07:39 PM

Well i put in some hours on the olds today. I got the quarter panels and roof blocked. Tommorow its on to strip the doors and poly primer them.

Thanks to anyone following. Keeps me motivated. Also if anyone ever needs advice feel free to ask. Im always willing to help.

Old May 12th, 2017, 11:47 PM

Well i put in some hours on the olds today. I got the quarter panels and roof blocked. Tommorow its on to strip the doors and poly primer them.

Thanks to anyone following. Keeps me motivated. Also if anyone ever needs advice feel free to ask. Im always willing to help.
I wanna be able to do bodywork like you when I grow up!
Old May 13th, 2017, 04:18 PM

I bought this car as a way to learn when i was just starting out in the industry. Its a reflection of what i can do kinda like a rolling resume. Anything i want to learn or have wanted to learn has been done on this car for the most part.
Old May 13th, 2017, 06:46 PM

Nice!

I have heard of a few guys having trouble with rear aluminum drums when used on a race car. You might want to do a search on class racer for more info as to what issues others have had with Aluminum drums.
Old May 14th, 2017, 06:06 AM

Thanks Bernhard. These drums came from another Olds race car. I got the entire set up. The man I got them from is a trusted source who ran these for 10 year. Strictly as race car so they where/are in great shape. Thanks for the heads up on possible issues.
Old May 14th, 2017, 10:10 AM

Got the doors down to bare metal and I poly primed them ( feather fill ).

From here i block the doors and sand all the areas that are not typicaly blocked. Then im going to wet sand all the panels minus the doors and then spray 2 medium wet coats over the entire car minus the deck lid and hood ( not done yet at glasstek) . Should be ready for final prep by the end of next weekend.

I sprayed the panels with pre cleaner as it makes the panel shiney and the panels look good in the relfection. Im pretty excited im making good progress again after the last month + of set backs.

My 4 legged buddy came out to hang out while i was cleaning up. Dont worry he never goes in there while im spraying.

Old May 14th, 2017, 10:35 AM

Got the doors down to bare metal and I poly primed them ( feather fill ).

From here i block the doors and sand all the areas that are not typicaly blocked. Then im going to wet sand all the panels minus the doors and then spray 2 medium wet coats over the entire car minus the deck lid and hood ( not done yet at glasstek) . Should be ready for final prep by the end of next weekend.

I sprayed the panels with pre cleaner as it makes the panel shiney and the panels look good in the relfection. Im pretty excited im making good progress again after the last month + of set backs.

My 4 legged buddy came out to hang out while i was cleaning up. Dont worry he never goes in there while im spraying.

Your dog wants you to get it done so he can go cruising
Old May 14th, 2017, 12:50 PM

He loves hanging in the garage but actually does not like riding in it. My old k5 blazer he loved . The pit bull loves the Olds but does not like the garage. He grew up as a puppy in my garage so he is used to all the loud noise the pitty is a princess lol.
Old May 14th, 2017, 02:04 PM

Good job
Old May 14th, 2017, 09:39 PM

Thanks .

IN respond to the pooches loving rides. I had to dig this picture up of our pitty. She loves riding shot gun in the olds. I took her on a few rides but i feel bad as its really loud ride and not very comfy.

Old May 16th, 2017, 08:26 PM

Been out there the last few days. I blocked the poly primer and primered the doors with a good primer ( nason ) which i really like.

I also re primered the fenders .Taking a few days and hitting it friday to reprimer the rest of the shell then its on the just wet blocking.

Old May 17th, 2017, 12:37 PM

Been out there the last few days. I blocked the poly primer and primered the doors with a good primer ( nason ) which i really like.

I also re primered the fenders .Taking a few days and hitting it friday to reprimer the rest of the shell then its on the just wet blocking.

I respect body man skills and patience I did a some blocking and sanding on baby blue delta , I'd rather go to work 12 hours at my job. I understand why you pay so much for a quality paint job.
Old May 17th, 2017, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the kind words I just like fixing em lol. I hate painting. Im having a really good trusted friend of mine spray it. Im striping the car out and we are both doing the paint scheme's on the hood and decklid. I know how to paint but my forte is making em straight. At work im strictly a body man and the paint is done up by the painter. I dont spray enough to risk wasting material like that lol.
Old May 18th, 2017, 06:03 AM

Looking slick buddy !
Old May 20th, 2017, 08:00 PM

Well Guys i busted *** all week and the car now has one uniform finish of primer after dry blocking all the panels. From here all i need to do is wet sand it for paint. Hopefully sometime next weekend.

Old May 28th, 2017, 09:23 AM

Well guys. I got the car wet blocked / wet sanded. I busted my @$$ thu., fri., and sat. to get it done.

I had planned to paint it this weekend but i really need a few days off. We had a ridiculously busy week at the shop last week and between hustling the grind work and my car i really do need a few days away to let my back recover from that work out.

The plan is to get the car to my friends place which is about 15 miles from my house as his home shop is set up much better for a complete paint job vs. mine.

Next time i post we will have color.

I used red primer to touch up the areas i blocked through on the edges. The car will get an orga base coat before the copper hue. I decided to use the PPG omni line for color.

Old May 31st, 2017, 08:08 PM

Yet another damn set back !!!!!!!!!!!!! But this one im ok with lol.

I got a call from glasstek and my parts where done . So i have pushed my paint date yet another weekend back so i can fit my parts now that i have them before paint.

I also got fed up of glass guys bailing out on me and i installed my windsheild my self with help from my girlfriend.

Quick Reply: The revamp Part 2