Olds 394 Rebuilt, flex plate problem??

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:40 AM

Olds 394 Rebuilt, flex plate problem??

Hello from a newcomer!

After many hours in the garage, my engine is finally rebuilt and seated in the car. This is where my problem occurred:

The engine turned fine in the engine stand, but when I mounted it in the car and bolted it to the transmission, it would not turn any more.

The transmission is not rebuilt, I just left it in the car as it was before the engine broke down, it turned when we loosened the flexplate nuts and lifted the engine out of the car.

Two visible bolts from the flywheel does line up with the holes in the flexplate, this would mean that the remaining (currently hidden up there) holes also line up?

I know that the torus in those transmissions (1960 Hydramatic "Jetaway") can't be moved back towards the transmission as chevy torque converters can.

I have mounted the engine and transmission together with the 4 bolts in the top of the transmission and the transmission is also mounted to the rear engine/transmission mount.

The rear engine/transmission mounts are also new, the one in the front is still old. Can this be causing binding?

Thanks!