My 75 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2017, 01:04 PM

My 75 Cutlass

Hey folks, so to start.. I wound up on this site because I had bought a 77 Buick Lasabre custom coupe, that came with an Oldsmobile 455 that needed a rebuild. I wound up taking the block to the machine shop, and got to thinking "I'd rather drop that into an Oldsmobile"

So last week I realize a guy about 3 miles down the road from me has had a 75 cutlass he has been trying to sell for a while. Well I wound up swapping him the Buick! This is my first Oldsmobile, and I already like it a lot!

It's a little rough around the edges, needs some rust repair, but nothing I cant handle. Oddly enough a buddy of mine used to own it too (it's a small world up here, REALLY small)

One thing I need to find is bumpers. Both are fairly crispy.

This first picture was when my buddy had owned it... sure looks a lot different now! I would like to get it to look like it did when he had it.

received_10211371252507704_zpsaktc2ndf.jpeg

And this was this past summer

received_10158179111770531_zpsj6ql2erk.jpeg

received_10158179111285531_zpsc8ktq20j.jpeg

received_10158179111075531_zpsjey33pr3.jpeg

received_10158179111145531_zpsl46xdtwp.jpeg

And this was the other night when I got it home. Believe it or not, I drove it home! The little 260 in it, will be coming out within the next week or two so when the 455 is ready I will drop it in.

received_10158200441995531_zpsmrqtvdfq.jpeg
Old January 23rd, 2017, 01:11 PM
Administrator

A worthy recipient
Old January 23rd, 2017, 03:29 PM
Hookers under Hood

One heckuva trade !! Put-r-ther. I see a 76/77 in the background what is up with that?
I like your 75 and looking forward to following along with your restoration.
Bumpers are hard to find, but they are out ther.
I picked up a front and rear bumper for my 76 from, Brian Carlson in Newberg Or (Western Automotive Sheet Metal)
Great guy to deal with, I had them shipped up to Canada, he packaged them very nicely and arrived with no damage.
I would recommend Brian if you can't find them here.
Cheers
Eric
Old January 23rd, 2017, 04:11 PM
OldsMoStyle

Sweet car. You don't see them a lot without vinyl tops.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
One heckuva trade !! Put-r-ther. I see a 76/77 in the background what is up with that?
I like your 75 and looking forward to following along with your restoration.
Bumpers are hard to find, but they are out ther.
I picked up a front and rear bumper for my 76 from, Brian Carlson in Newberg Or (Western Automotive Sheet Metal)
Great guy to deal with, I had them shipped up to Canada, he packaged them very nicely and arrived with no damage.
I would recommend Brian if you can't find them here.
Cheers
Eric
I think that's a 76! it's the guy I got the 75 from that owns it. He put a 455 in it, and is in the process of restoring it. Also thanks! I will probably check with him for bumpers.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 08:52 PM

Nice car it is a special edition Y-76 car. Here's a link that explains a little about what makes that car special.
http://v8cars.hu/cutlass/stuff.php?page=y76

Also you should register your car in the 73-77 registry.
http://v8cars.hu/73-77cutlassregistry/index.php
Old January 24th, 2017, 12:36 PM

I too noticed that it's a Y-76 car...

Pretty cool ride! Congrats on your new acquisition!
Old January 24th, 2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by texxas
Nice car it is a special edition Y-76 car. Here's a link that explains a little about what makes that car special.
http://v8cars.hu/cutlass/stuff.php?page=y76

Also you should register your car in the 73-77 registry.
http://v8cars.hu/73-77cutlassregistry/index.php
That's pretty cool to know. Wish they never deleted the top now.
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:42 PM

Yeah I don't like the rust problems vinyl tops bring to the party but your early picture with the white top looks way better than the current pictures without it. IMHO.
Old January 25th, 2017, 11:09 AM

Yeah I don't like the rust problems vinyl tops bring to the party but your early picture with the white top looks way better than the current pictures without it. IMHO.
I wont wind up putting one back on, but when the car gets resprayed I will add some touches to make it look better.
Old February 5th, 2017, 08:26 AM

So some small progress has been made, although I will have to redo what I fixed. Last night I replaced the door pins, bushings, and door striker on the drivers door. What fun! That door feels like it weighs 300 pounds, and getting it lined back up will be fun.

One of the hinges was egg shaped where the bushing goes so maybe this summer I will pull it back apart, weld some in the hole then file it until its round again.

And on another note, the machine shop let me know my heads are good! Going to order stainless valves, and upgrade the intake valves to 2.07. Might.. and I say MIGHT order the Eagle 495 stroker kit for it, or the 488 if I can get away with only boring .030 over.

It was nice, a buddy of mine let me use his heated shop to do the door pins. It was -12 when I woke up yesterday.

20170204_202920_zps16leudgi.jpg
Old February 5th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=NorthernMainer;988867]

One of the hinges was egg shaped where the bushing goes so maybe this summer I will pull it back apart, weld some in the hole then file it until its round again.

It was nice, a buddy of mine let me use his heated shop to do the door pins. It was -12 when I woke up yesterday.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are a bugger to do. It takes two guys and a couple jacks with ply wood to do those dam pins and bushings the old school way.
Your on the rite track when you mentioned welding up the hole. To get the round file out, I'd say hmmm well, throw that file up on the roof!!
I would weld up the holes grind them flat, then drill them out while assembled on the car clamped. Drill through with a 64th under .5, run a 1/2 reamer down throw the holes and use a 1/2 in shoulder bolt.
Visit any machine shop close by you and ask them for a couple bolts.
Just my .02
Thanks for posting your progress!!
Hope this helps
Eric
Old February 10th, 2017, 12:48 PM

So I talked to the machinist twice today, this morning was about the heads, they are good to go, we are going to put hardened seats in them, and stainless valves. He called just a short bit ago to let me know he finally looked at the block... 3 of the cylinders have deep pitting.

I thought it was game over there, but he said hes going to sleeve those 3 cylinders, and then bore them all to .030 over. Wahoo! I'm excited.

On a side note, has anyone on here installed a Fitech fuel injection system? I know it's big bucks, but they are known for better fuel economy, and are very throttle responsive.
Old February 11th, 2017, 06:46 AM

Stopped by, and saw the motor this morning. Looks A LOT different not covered in grease. He is still going to clean it one more time. I'm thinking to paint it the color it was, which was a blue metallic (anyone know of a good source for that?).

The red marks are the cylinders he is going to sleeve

20170211_084917_zpscad0uyxw.jpg
Old February 19th, 2017, 05:31 AM

So a little update. The machinist sent me some pictures! The engine is coming along nicely. Got the sleeves in, and punched the entire block .030 over. He has to order a crank for it, and a few rods. I'm hoping they have N cranks.. since that is what I'll be sending in for a core. Worst comes to worst I will order a new standard size N crank from Mondello.

Going to shoot for 9.0:1 CR. I also received a Mondello reference manual in the mail this week, has all sorts of casting numbers/info. According to the book I have 80cc heads!

Some week soon I will be ordering my Fitech 600 kit. pretty excited to try that out.

Also, does anyone know what colors these cars came in for 1975? I kept seeing orange in some spots in the car.. come to find out it used to be a burnt orange color originally

Anyway.. heres a few pictures of said updates...

Ps.. my buddy that owned the car years ago messages me yesterday, and said the car looks naked without it's wheels.. I said "what wheels" so he sends me the following picture, along with a price tag.. needless to say.. I bought them!

FB_IMG_1487443575041_zps1rci08py.jpg

and nicely machined block! Now just to go give him more $$$$$$ so he can continue..

received_1583521768332531_zpsvurbpiaj.jpeg

received_1583521764999198_zpsp1iovhot.jpeg

received_1583521748332533_zpsszhq5i6d.jpeg

Last edited by NorthernMainer; February 19th, 2017 at 05:34 AM.
Old February 19th, 2017, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by NorthernMainer
Worst comes to worst I will order a new standard size N crank from Mondello.
Read this thread before ordering a crank from Mondello, Lynn Welfringer in Paso Robles.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...er-beware.html
Many other warning threads about the Paso Robles Mondello are out there to search too.
Old February 19th, 2017, 08:54 AM

Read this thread before ordering a crank from Mondello, Lynn Welfringer in Paso Robles.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...er-beware.html
Many other warning threads about the Paso Robles Mondello are out there to search too.
Oh wow, after reading that it looks like id be better off with the Eagle cast crank they sell on summit for half the price.