Mondello. Buyer beware👎

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2016, 05:26 AM

Mondello. Buyer beware👎

Talked to Lyn on the phone. He did not mention credit only on returns or restock fees. Said they came up with this crank testing different mixtures of metal and it was a mixture of forged and cast. Should have sent up a red flag but did not know I was dealing with a business only using the Mondello name so I let it go. Was told it came with a sealed pilot bearing but it did not show up with one. It did however arrive in a plywood box which tells me the scratching was on it when shipped. Promptly went back to the thread I read here about aluminum heads where I now read the warning about this company ( Mondello performance). The Internet is loaded with bad reviews on this company. I thought I was dealing with Mondello , now I cant trust them to send me anything and have faith it has quality after reading the reviews. I'll start with the process of termoil Monday morning. Don't want store credit as I was not told upfront. Don't plan on letting it go. May send it to a lab for testing to see if 5340 metal claim is true. For now I don't want anything Mondello.

Old November 20th, 2016, 06:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Gary M
Said they came up with this crank testing different mixtures of metal and it was a mixture of forged and cast.
As you probably know by now, there is no such thing as a "mixture of forged and cast." They are two completely different metal forming techniques that have nothing to do with the material. You can cast iron. You can cast steel. You can forge steel.

This crank MAY have an alloy that provides properties between traditional cast and forged, but it was formed using either one or the other technique. The lack of apparent parting lines tell me it was cast.
Old November 20th, 2016, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
As you probably know by now, there is no such thing as a "mixture of forged and cast." They are two completely different metal forming techniques that have nothing to do with the material. You can cast iron. You can cast steel. You can forge steel.

This crank MAY have an alloy that provides properties between traditional cast and forged, but it was formed using either one or the other technique. The lack of apparent parting lines tell me it was cast.
Spot on Joe.
Old November 20th, 2016, 06:48 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Wow, a mixture of forged and cast? My wife would like the stamp mark, it looks like a fish. They count on Oldsmobile guys who don't know their current business practices and know the Mondello name.
Old November 20th, 2016, 09:13 AM

Any metal experts out there?

5340 is the metal according to his ad.
Old November 20th, 2016, 10:15 AM
72 Olds CS

I'm no metals expert but the 5340 is a specific recipe that refers to the components of the metal, i.e. How much iron copper sulfur nickel molybdenum manganese etc. some of those elements are used in a very small percentage to give the metal certain properties like malleability or strength.

Identifying the major components of the metal is relatively easy, identifying the minor components that make it 5340 I suspect would be time consuming and expensive.
Old November 20th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

AMS 5340 is also known as 14-4PH CRES (stainless steel). Yield strength 140KSI, ultimate 155KSI. Pretty decent properties.

Of course, this is still cast. The reason to prefer forged over cast is that forging aligns the grain structure of the metal to reduce the likelihood of flaws that can initiate fatigue cracks. Strength is somewhat unrelated to fracture toughness and it's fatigue cracks that cause crank failure.
Old November 20th, 2016, 10:47 AM

Sill Joe P not a bad crank for a aftermarket crank. What does it weigh?
Old November 20th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wr1970
Sill Joe P not a bad crank for a aftermarket crank.
Again, strength alone does not mean that this cast crank is any better or worse than another as far as fracture toughness. That's what will cause a failure.
Old November 20th, 2016, 12:59 PM

Next stop, parts for sale section

The shipping weight was 79 lbs. was in a thin plywood box. May be ok crank but don't like the scratch. Return shipping, restock fee, etc. I'm going to see if anyone wants to buy it on here. I am running a four speed m22z, 342 gear, Posi. I'm going to go back to looking for forged. It would likely be fine with an automatic behind it.
Old November 20th, 2016, 01:24 PM

Again, strength alone does not mean that this cast crank is any better or worse than another as far as fracture toughness. That's what will cause a failure.
Joe it has to be better than a old cast crank. Gary that scratch looks like it would polish out. I am not saying anything good about Mondelo or cost of this crank. I wouldn't buy anything from this vendor. Just saying it is a new viable option vs and old used crank with possible stress cracks.JMO

Last edited by wr1970; November 20th, 2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old November 20th, 2016, 04:52 PM

Are there any vendors that sell a new Forged Nodular 455 four speed crank? I wouldn't be so bitchy about this one if I had'nt bought it from someone with such a bad reputation using a good name to do business. Really thought I was buying from the Mondello family.

Last edited by Gary M; November 20th, 2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old November 20th, 2016, 05:42 PM

no need for you to pay a restocking fee, or shipping, its defective
Old November 20th, 2016, 05:45 PM

Lynn has tarnished the Mondello name beyond belief, sorry you had to find this out the hard way. I honestly wouldn't buy a bolt from that crooked SOB.

Rocket racing sells a 4340 steel crank for just under $1900
Old November 20th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Phantom Phixer

Are there any vendors that sell a new Forged Nodular 455 four speed crank?
There is no such thing as a " forged nodular crank"
Automotive crankshafts are usually of two common types . Either forged steel or cast nodular iron.
Forged steel cranks are made by taking a piece of steel and heating it to a "plastic" state (almost molten) and then pounding it into shape between two hardened steel dies in a large press known as a "drop hammer" .
Cast cranks are made of nodular iron ( AKA ductile iron) which is a special casting iron that is treated with magnesium to change its grain structure.
The molten nodular iron is poured into a sand mould .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forging
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ductile_iron

Last edited by Charlie Jones; November 21st, 2016 at 06:27 AM.
Old November 20th, 2016, 06:38 PM

I need one that can take the stress of a 455 w/manual transmission and 3.42 Posi being driven like its stolen. Summit sells a cast steel crank but I read on a hot rod forum that they won't hold up. ( not Summits) just cast steel in general.
Old November 20th, 2016, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by gear head
Lynn has tarnished the Mondello name beyond belief, sorry you had to find this out the hard way. I honestly wouldn't buy a bolt from that crooked SOB.

Rocket racing sells a 4340 steel crank for just under $1900
What is billet steel? 4340?
Old November 20th, 2016, 07:17 PM

It is machined out of a solid chunk of Steel. 4340 is the alloy composition... I doubt there is a better off the shelf crank available.
Old November 20th, 2016, 07:22 PM

Thanks

Saw their website. Inquired about it and read some about it.
Old November 20th, 2016, 07:28 PM

id contact your credit card company, people listen when they speak..i dont usually suggest it, but i would be doing it if t was mine..bad business is bad business...

id throw a fit so big, they begged me to buy it back..
Old November 20th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Personally the chip near the oiling hole would not bug me at all. The scratch i would polish out with a little crocus cloth. I put a scracth/chip on the crank on my 355 while taking it home from the machine shop. I polished it out and its still running and its beaten like a rented mule. No issues on that end.
Old November 21st, 2016, 06:05 AM

Have you mic'd the journals to make sure they are sized correctly? If they have to be cut for proper bearing clearance, the scratches will definitely go away.
Old November 21st, 2016, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by marxjunk
id contact your credit card company, people listen when they speak..i dont usually suggest it, but i would be doing it if t was mine..bad business is bad business...

id throw a fit so big, they begged me to buy it back..

I agree with this. Let your credit card company fight it out. Tell them Lynn inproperly packaged it, and it's damaged. That's not your fault. Demand a full refund. The CC company can help you.

Bank of America has helped me a couple times.
Old November 21st, 2016, 10:03 PM

I would send the crank to your local crank grinder and have them check spec's and just have it polished.
The crank will hold up, no problem.
Mine has been in my car for 13 yrs, running 10's in the quarter. Still carries 60 lbs oil pressure.
Spend your time and money on the block. All the trouble you are going get, trying to send it back, all your time wasted.
Have the crank cleaned and polished, and move on.

Gene
Old November 22nd, 2016, 04:52 AM

My machine shop said if you can feel it with your fingernail it can't be removed by polishing. Will need turned. He has not responded to my emails so credit card company may have to get involved. I bought new, not used so I expect no defects. If polishing was able to fix it that would get me on with my life but the pits are too deep. The headache must continue.

You can feel it with your fingernail

Thought it was a scratch but it is pits.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:42 AM

Gary, that is a bummer that you got scammed by Mondello. I haven't heard much positive about that vendor.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 06:06 AM

Haven been scammed just yet

He may come through and do the right thing. Time will tell.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 06:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

He may come through and do the right thing. Time will tell.
"He" passed away several years ago, and frankly had not been involved in operations of that company for quite some time before that.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 06:52 AM

"He" passed away several years ago, and frankly had not been involved in operations of that company for quite some time before that.
Quess he meant Lynn
Old November 22nd, 2016, 06:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Inline
Quess he meant Lynn
Maybe, but a lot of people still don't realize that Joe hadn't been involved with the company that bears his name for a long time.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 07:17 AM

Was referring to Lynn. Too bad the name was sold with the company. If you read the site some of it reads like the company is still associated with Joe Mondello.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 08:38 AM

I called him today. He said he emailed me yesterday ( but I don't see it). He said ship it back and he will exchange it and re- embers shipping. Will see.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 10:56 AM

at first it looked like the rod bolts hit the journal..hard to believe its pitting... wheres the quality control?????
Old November 22nd, 2016, 11:23 AM

It's brand new so must be defect when cast and as you said lack of quality control.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 02:09 PM

Rod nicks on rear main? It's rusty....look at it. Check straightness as well. I bet it's out. Total piece of sh**. I'd never put a crank that looks like that in ANY engine. He will never refund money. I doubt he'll exchange either. Don't let it go!!

Greg
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:39 PM

ship it back, and contact your credit card company, just incase he tries to screw you over until its been too long for them to do anything
Old November 22nd, 2016, 06:05 PM

I had a similar situation several years ago. They did not send what I ordered, instead they "upgraded" my items with an upgraded price. When questioned they were going to charge a restocking and other fees to return items I did not order. I have given them free advertisement ever since. I have never heard one positive comment about them.

Don W
Old November 22nd, 2016, 06:45 PM

If you ship it back, ask them to create a shipping label for you (at their expense) and also require signature capture. Do not trust Lynn to be a decent person.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 07:15 PM

Hope hes not like that billions and billions guy

sent him three emails then I finally gave in and called. He said he sent me an email but its not on my computer or in spam. He said ship it and he will replace and re-embers shipping cost. I asked if he has one in stock and he said yes. I saved pictures of the box, crank serial#,damage,etc and documented all contact with him for my CC co. Sent it with signature required. If it goes bad I plan on contacting all necessary agencies and a few Clubs. If it goes good maybe hes going legit.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 02:17 AM

I drag raced with the stock cast 455 crank, slicks, jerico 4 speed, 4.88:1 ford 9 inch. Left the line at 5500rpm and went through the lights at 6,200rpm. When I took the motor apart at the end of the season the crank was perfect, as well as the rest of the bottom end. You can't wind them up like a chevy, but it sure can take a beating. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Mondello. Buyer beware👎