My 442 Story

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2016, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by rob1960
Nice build! Your drivers side wheel well with the round cruise servo pads is for a '68-9, '70 up had the square pads.
Thanks Rob, I figured that after looking at some pictures of other 1970 cars but I'm wondering if they needed to replace the inner well due to an accident why they didn't use the right one.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new paint and vinyl roof on the car. I stopped by the shop today and my guy stated he will be spending a good amount of time this weekend and next week on the car. Right now he has the front fenders off to detail the engine bay area. From this point on I'll be stopping by once a week to take some pictures and to see how it is progressing and will look to update my thread.
Old October 5th, 2016, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
My '70 442 is also Twilight blue. It came from the factory with no vinyl top, black interior, and black pin stripes. It has that stealth look with that combination. Back in the day, another '70 442 in the neighborhood was also Twilight blue, but with a Pearl interior and white pin stripes. Compared to the black stripes, the white pin stripes really popped against the dark blue paint and went along nicely with the Pearl interior, probably similar to a white vinyl top. Both cars had the standard steel hood, but only the other 442 with white stripes had the optional hood pin striping. Either stripe color will be subtle since it will only be the thin double line pin stripe, unlike the 71/72 stripes.
Hi Anthony, I decided to go with the white stripe due to having the white vinyl roof. I was strongly considering the black but in the end I (my wife... always the last word.) decided to go white.
Old October 5th, 2016, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by tdhill01
Hi Anthony, I decided to go with the white stripe due to having the white vinyl roof. I was strongly considering the black but in the end I (my wife... always the last word.) decided to go white.

I like that Choice!! just saying LOL..

nice progress, and damn I am so slow LOL
Old October 15th, 2016, 07:27 PM

I stopped by the shop the other day and Kenny the guy doing the restoration of my car had removed the hood, fenders, doors and trunk lid from the body in preparation of painting the car. I'm looking forward to this coming week as he stated he will have her completely painted and buffed. Kenny decided that the he will add the stripes on afterwards rather than before he paints it I'm leaving that up to his decision making as I trust him. I'm feeling good about the car now as it nears the painting process. I thought this process would go a lot quicker but I'm good with the pace as I would not want it rushed to get it done as mistakes can happen. Hopefully will post some pictures with her new paint next week.

Old October 17th, 2016, 02:25 PM

I stopped by the shop and the car has been painted! They still need to do additional work to the the paint before they do their final buffing of it and I was told to stop by next Monday to see how it looks. They plan on painting the cowl in that time period along with finishing up the radiator support too. I like how the color came out and am looking forward to seeing it with all its front fenders, doors, trunk lid and hood back on.

It will be a long process this winter putting in another dash and replacing the gas tank and its lines along with putting all the stainless back on too. I will look to update my thread next Monday with photos of the car back together.

Old October 17th, 2016, 06:00 PM

Wow, looks great. I cannot wait until mine is painted sometime in the near future. Are you leaving the vinyl top off, as I do not see the trim pins. I guess if you have any inclination to go without it, now is the time. Maybe see how you like it without the vinyl top after everything is reassembled, and if at that time you prefer the vinyl top, you can always have it installed later.
Old October 17th, 2016, 06:11 PM

Wow, looks great. I cannot wait until mine is painted sometime in the near future. Are you leaving the vinyl top off, as I do not see the trim pins. I guess if you have any inclination to go without it, now is the time. Maybe see how you like it without the vinyl top after everything is reassembled, and if at that time you prefer the vinyl top, you can always have it installed later.
I'm putting the vinyl back on as I like the look of it. The upholstery shop will need to attach them back on again - I don't know why they are missing other than being told by the body shop that the upholstery shop will need to do it when they install the top.
Old October 17th, 2016, 06:27 PM

Usually missing if the quarter panels replaced, and then the body shop installs new pins for the vinyl top. I guess each shop does it differently. The white vinyl top does pop with the Twilight blue paint, and will add nicely with the white pin striping. The project is progressing nicely.
Old October 17th, 2016, 06:41 PM

Usually missing if the quarter panels replaced, and then the body shop installs new pins for the vinyl top. I guess each shop does it differently. The white vinyl top does pop with the Twilight blue paint, and will add nicely with the white pin striping. The project is progressing nicely.
Thanks Anthony, at times the project seemed to be on a faster pace and then it would slow down to a crawl. I was told in the beginning they would have the car through late fall (November) and according to them they have about two weeks left which would bring them to the end of October or the first week of November - right on schedule.
Old October 17th, 2016, 08:37 PM
72 Olds CS

You must be getting excited Tom. Then comes the hopefully long mass winter, do you have a heated location to reassemble the car? Will you have it ready for spring?
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
You must be getting excited Tom. Then comes the hopefully long mass winter, do you have a heated location to reassemble the car? Will you have it ready for spring?
I am getting excited as I can finally see an end to this trek. I have an attached two car garage that will only have this car in it - much to my wife's dismay. The garage will give me enough space to work on her and it is insulated but no built-in heating of any sorts. I do have a neighbor who has a propane heater that he uses in his garage and I will probably borrow it from him when I do work on the car during this winter.

I hope to have the car looking her best by late Spring and have her ready to start going to some of the local shows here in the New England area.
Old October 18th, 2016, 10:02 AM

Not a good idea to allow the doors to sit on the edges like that.
Old October 18th, 2016, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by My442
Not a good idea to allow the doors to sit on the edges like that.
Just took a look at the pics again and I see what you mean. I didn't notice it when I was looking over the car over. I'm going to have to take a look next time I stop by to make sure they were not gouged from any accidental movement and to ask about it.
Old October 19th, 2016, 06:09 AM

I am getting excited as I can finally see an end to this trek. I have an attached two car garage that will only have this car in it - much to my wife's dismay. The garage will give me enough space to work on her and it is insulated but no built-in heating of any sorts. I do have a neighbor who has a propane heater that he uses in his garage and I will probably borrow it from him when I do work on the car during this winter.

I hope to have the car looking her best by late Spring and have her ready to start going to some of the local shows here in the New England area.

Looking forward to seeing your car around MA
Old October 19th, 2016, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sea five
Looking forward to seeing your car around MA
Thanks, what part of the state do you reside in? When Spring time approaches if you know of any events I would appreciate hearing about them. I've been to the Dedham show at the Endicott Estate before with other cars I've owned along with hitting the Milford Lions' car event and the Connecticut Olds Club show that are in September.
Old October 19th, 2016, 02:20 PM
72 Olds CS

The GMO club does an all olds show in Lancaster mass every spring typically just before Memorial Day.
Old October 19th, 2016, 02:50 PM

I would suggest that you have the stainless polished before putting it back on.

The new paint will contrast with the trim the way it is.

Worth the effort.

Also, how are the door hinges? Easier to rebuild/replace now versus later.
Old October 19th, 2016, 02:59 PM

I would suggest that you have the stainless polished before putting it back on.

The new paint will contrast with the trim the way it is.

Worth the effort.

Also, how are the door hinges? Easier to rebuild/replace now versus later.
I've been thinking about giving a shot at polishing the stainless myself. I'll be trying out some pieces to see how I do with them (I'll use the advice I found in other threads). If I don't like how they come out I'll probably look to see what's around the area and get them polished up. As far as the hinges go, one was bad and that was replaced. All the others seem to be in good shape.
Old October 19th, 2016, 08:57 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Very nice! How's it feel to be livin in color?
Old October 20th, 2016, 03:57 AM

I strongly suggest that you do not try the stainless polishing.

If you make a mistake with a high speed buffing wheel, the part will be destroyed and you probably will get hurt.

There is a real technique for doing this, and practicing on your parts is not a place to start.

The reason I suggested the polishing is that it makes the new paint "pop".
Old October 20th, 2016, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
The GMO club does an all olds show in Lancaster mass every spring typically just before Memorial Day.
Yes, I've been to one before and will look to hopefully be there this coming Spring.
Old October 20th, 2016, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
Very nice! How's it feel to be livin in color?
It's a nice feeling, just another step towards getting her back out on the road again. I'm really hoping for a short winter and an early warm Spring in 2017.
Old October 20th, 2016, 09:00 AM

I strongly suggest that you do not try the stainless polishing.

If you make a mistake with a high speed buffing wheel, the part will be destroyed and you probably will get hurt.

There is a real technique for doing this, and practicing on your parts is not a place to start.

The reason I suggested the polishing is that it makes the new paint "pop".
Thanks, I appreciate you pointing out the issues involved with polishing -I'm kind of attached to my body parts and would like to keep them attached.

I am going to try polishing some smaller items as I read a thread about polishing the small stainless bezels in the wheels. One member kept them on the wheel so they would be secured and just polished them and another member made a jig to hold them steady while he polished them. I have a co-worker I was talking to this morning and he said he had polished a good portion of his stainless. I may ask him about possibly working on a few pieces for me but I will also look around in my area for a shop and see if it is reasonable enough to have them polish up the pieces for me too.
Old October 20th, 2016, 10:54 AM

Thanks, what part of the state do you reside in? When Spring time approaches if you know of any events I would appreciate hearing about them. I've been to the Dedham show at the Endicott Estate before with other cars I've owned along with hitting the Milford Lions' car event and the Connecticut Olds Club show that are in September.
I live about 20 miles north of Boston There are some good shows and cruise nights in the area. one very popular cruise night is Kitty's Restaurant every Thursday.
Old October 20th, 2016, 10:58 AM

Bass Pro in Foxboro has a huge cruise night every Thursday during the good weather.

Probably 1200-1500 cars show up.
Old October 21st, 2016, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by my442
bass pro in foxboro has a huge cruise night every thursday during the good weather.

wow!!!
Old October 21st, 2016, 07:27 AM

Paint is incredible!!

Paint looks great!

Really came out well!!
Old October 21st, 2016, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Paint looks great!

Really came out well!!

Thanks Eddie, I hope to post better pictures this Monday after I go back to check her out again.
Old October 21st, 2016, 09:47 AM

Bass Pro in Foxboro has a huge cruise night every Thursday during the good weather.

I've been to that show twice - how could I forget that one! Very nice selection of cars to look at.
Old October 21st, 2016, 11:35 AM

Thanks Eddie, I hope to post better pictures this Monday after I go back to check her out again.
looking forward to it tom, your inspiring us all!!
Old October 22nd, 2016, 07:25 AM

Looking great Tom.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Rick
Looking great Tom.
Thanks Rick, I was looking forward to seeing my car on Monday but I received a call from work saying that I was transferred into a new position starting Monday. I'll have to wait until later in the week now to go to the shop and see how she looks with the fenders, doors, hood and trunk lid back on.

I hope all is going well with your car, I'm looking forward to another update and pictures.
Old November 5th, 2016, 05:44 AM

With my new position at work I was finally able to drop in and see how my car is coming along. I was told they still have a few things to do to it before their final buff but she is coming along nicely. I dropped off two weeks ago a tilt column for them to paint and it came out great. I also dropped off to them at the same time an upper control arm that they installed for me since the driver's side was bent. I took a few photos while there and then headed home. I need to continue to clean out and organize my garage in preparation for the car to be worked on during the winter and into the spring.

Last edited by tdhill01; January 13th, 2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old November 5th, 2016, 05:46 AM

I need to learn to take pics with my iPhone from a certain angle as they look good on my phone but when I post them here they are sideways...
Old November 5th, 2016, 05:55 AM
72 Olds CS

The thumbnails look sideways but when I click on them w the iPad they open normal orientation. Car looks nice hopefully you can get it back before any ( more) snow hits.
Old November 5th, 2016, 06:04 AM
Administrator

It came out great
Old November 5th, 2016, 06:05 AM

Tom,
Looks purrrddy. Always nice to see some color and that color is beautiful.

Picking up mine from the body shop today and driving to my shop. Only about a 3 mile drive but I might take the long way to get there.

I have the same issue with my IPhone pics. I have to send them to my laptop, open them up, rotate and save them. If anyone knows how to get around this please let me know.
Old November 5th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Looks great Tom!

Are they going to paint the pin stripes, or are you going with a stripe kit?
Old November 5th, 2016, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
Looks great Tom!

Are they going to paint the pin stripes, or are you going with a stripe kit?
Thanks! They are going to be painted on then clear coated over. They said they'll be a slight raise to it after painting them on but that will be done after I put the car back together again with the roof, interior and exterior trim and bumper parts. At that point it's going back into the shop again to have the wheels painted the dull/argent gray and the pinstripe done. They can take care of any paint issues at that point.
Old December 8th, 2016, 07:46 AM

Hey, I just had my car flat bedded back home to its winter resting place (my garage) from the upholstery shop. The shop installed the Legendary vinyl top and headliner along with fixing the driver's seat which needed some welding done and other work - I have done the passenger seat (thanks to Rambow) and I'm working on the rear seat now. I like the work the shop did but the guy stated he could not install the sail panel I gave him (Legendary). He thinks they may have sent the wrong panels... has anyone bought the Legendary sail panels and installed them? If so, do my panels look like the proper ones and how do you install them?

Last edited by tdhill01; January 13th, 2018 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: My 442 Story