Major Dilemia

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2009, 03:01 PM

Major Dilemia

Okay guys here is the situation I just picked up a relatively clean 73 Delta 88 with the 455 and turbo 400 power windows yada yada! I also have a 67 Cutlass 2drht that is relatively clean as well with a bad motor (330) now we all can attest to the economy, that being said i really need to focus my funds into one project!

You can probably see where I am going with this the 73 Delta runs pretty good and the motor would be a direct drop in for the cutlass......BUT I am having a hard time yanking a motor out of the Delta because it to has lots of potential.....BUT the "bank" says I have to make up my mind..(hmmm what if I said that about the 50 pairs of shoes she has or the 50 different purses she has??

On one hand the parts are pretty plentiful for both cars and i am torn between the 2 cars I see them both with potential but for the sake of peace and happiness in the house I need to focus on 1 car! Guys I need some guidance here please help!!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:08 PM

Hmmm, I am actually more a B&C body Olds guy even though I have a 72 Supreme and a 78 Cutlass. Out of the "Big Girls" (67 Olds 98,66 Dynamic conv.,71 Royale conv) the 71 is the best handling and stopping, great driver. Of course everyone seems to have a love affair with the A-bodies. Is the Delta a two door? If so I would think about keeping her and sell the 67 Cutlass. If the Delta is a 4-door cannibilize it, trans is a long-shaft, u can cut down your Cutlass driveshaft. Strip the good stuff from the Delta and sell "her" to a demo guy for $700/800 range. I like having a "big" Olds because they r different when u go somewhere. Go to a Miller Olds meet at Norwalk and it's 100 a-bodies to every one B/C bodied Olds. As I get older I realize I can't save them all. Good Luck, Ken
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by gthmcty1
Okay guys here is the situation I just picked up a relatively clean 73 Delta 88 with the 455 and turbo 400 power windows yada yada! I also have a 67 Cutlass 2drht that is relatively clean as well with a bad motor (330) now we all can attest to the economy, that being said i really need to focus my funds into one project!

You can probably see where I am going with this the 73 Delta runs pretty good and the motor would be a direct drop in for the cutlass......BUT I am having a hard time yanking a motor out of the Delta because it to has lots of potential.....BUT the "bank" says I have to make up my mind..(hmmm what if I said that about the 50 pairs of shoes she has or the 50 different purses she has??

On one hand the parts are pretty plentiful for both cars and i am torn between the 2 cars I see them both with potential but for the sake of peace and happiness in the house I need to focus on 1 car! Guys I need some guidance here please help!!
where are you located? maybe someone on here has a good running engine that is close to you. then you would not have to take the engine out of the big car. or if you keep the big car you could put another engine in the A body to try to get more out of it.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
Hmmm, I am actually more a B&C body Olds guy even though I have a 72 Supreme and a 78 Cutlass. Out of the "Big Girls" (67 Olds 98,66 Dynamic conv.,71 Royale conv) the 71 is the best handling and stopping, great driver. Of course everyone seems to have a love affair with the A-bodies. Is the Delta a two door? If so I would think about keeping her and sell the 67 Cutlass. If the Delta is a 4-door cannibilize it, trans is a long-shaft, u can cut down your Cutlass driveshaft. Strip the good stuff from the Delta and sell "her" to a demo guy for $700/800 range. I like having a "big" Olds because they r different when u go somewhere. Go to a Miller Olds meet at Norwalk and it's 100 a-bodies to every one B/C bodied Olds. As I get older I realize I can't save them all. Good Luck, Ken
Yes it is a 2 door Delta 88

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
where are you located? maybe someone on here has a good running engine that is close to you. then you would not have to take the engine out of the big car. or if you keep the big car you could put another engine in the A body to try to get more out of it.
I am located in SoCal in the Fontana area
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:52 PM

Keep the 73 Delta!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
Keep the 73 Delta!
Your killing me Kenny!! lol
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:59 PM

that delta is nice. i don't think i could pull the engine for another car.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:06 PM

Economics are economics.
Pull the motor for your '67.
Keep the hubcaps just for fun.
Sell the delta body to someone who really loves them.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:08 PM

that delta is nice. i don't think i could pull the engine for another car.
Guys your killing me ughh it looks I might have to make a stand (even if it is sleeping in the garage) and keeping both of them! I have to fix the usaul rust around the windows and the vinyl top had some rust underneath but dammit......I may have to keep them both....any body got a spare room in the socal area for me and my 2 cars! lol
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM

...looks I might have to make a stand (even if it is sleeping in the garage) and keeping both of them!
This can be a GOOD thing, so you can work on them as much as you want! That Delta rear seat will make a comfy bed...
As good as that Delta looks in the picture, I would keep it intact, whether you sell it and buy a loose engine for the Cutlass, or keep both. (I would say keep both... )
That Delta has lots of potential as a resto, if the floors and trunk are still there...
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

I'd say go with the 67. If the cutlass were a 72 and the Delta were a 67, I'd still say go with the 67. Good lines. Personally, the 70s stuff looks a little too Starsky and Hutch for my taste. IF you REALLY can't make up your mind, I can hold on to both of them while you think about it. I'd hate for you to make a decision hastily.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by ijasond
I'd say go with the 67. If the cutlass were a 72 and the Delta were a 67, I'd still say go with the 67. Good lines. Personally, the 70s stuff looks a little too Starsky and Hutch for my taste. IF you REALLY can't make up your mind, I can hold on to both of them while you think about it. I'd hate for you to make a decision hastily.
iJason if I ever need a "TRUE" friend I know where to look! Lol thanks guys I have some serious thinking to do!
Old July 24th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Oldsdruid

I don't like cannibalizing a 455 out of a decent big car on general principle. A wreck is a different story. I'd have a real hard time desecrating a 455 Delta that looks that good.

I could have smacked the **** out of a Nationals vendor last week when he commented that he wasn't wasting his time with big car parts because he didn't like them and there was no money in them, and all they were good for was engines.

As it was, I just said "Oldsmobile did build cars besides 66-72 Cutlasses" and walked off.

the "bank" says I have to make up my mind..(hmmm what if I said that about the 50 pairs of shoes she has or the 50 different purses she has??
All is fair in love and war. Tell her to put her big girl panties on and deal with it.

Can you guess I have little time for a control freak? and that 's what it is always about when a wife/gf/so gets on a guy about his cars while she still pursues her passions unreservedly.
Old July 24th, 2009, 05:50 AM

I thought we went over this.

Didn't I say in your original post that that 73 Delta 88 was cool? Especially because it has those wheels on it that remind me of the Stallone movie, Cobra! Don't you want to be like Sylvester Stallone? I know I would want to be like Sly.

That is a good enough argument for me!
Old July 24th, 2009, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I don't like cannibalizing a 455 out of a decent big car on general principle. A wreck is a different story. I'd have a real hard time desecrating a 455 Delta that looks that good.

I could have smacked the **** out of a Nationals vendor last week when he commented that he wasn't wasting his time with big car parts because he didn't like them and there was no money in them, and all they were good for was engines.

As it was, I just said "Oldsmobile did build cars besides 66-72 Cutlasses" and walked off.

All is fair in love and war. Tell her to put her big girl panties on and deal with it.

Can you guess I have little time for a control freak? and that 's what it is always about when a wife/gf/so gets on a guy about his cars while she still pursues her passions unreservedly.
X2
got to love the big girls, though a svelte little A body with a throbbing BBO would be sweet. If wifie has her expensive toys (IE shoes and handbags), assuming the cars as they stand are paid for or are not otherwise straining your finances...Keep them. Do one or the other as time and finances permit and enjoy it while doing the other. Please dont cut that delta up just for the engine... that one looks too nice to canibleize. Big block olds engines can be found for reasonable numbers fairly easily.
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by csstrux
X2
got to love the big girls, though a svelte little A body with a throbbing BBO would be sweet. If wifie has her expensive toys (IE shoes and handbags), assuming the cars as they stand are paid for or are not otherwise straining your finances...Keep them. Do one or the other as time and finances permit and enjoy it while doing the other. Please dont cut that delta up just for the engine... that one looks too nice to canibleize. Big block olds engines can be found for reasonable numbers fairly easily.
X3 don't mess up the big car. I am a big car quy and we need to keep all of them we can before they all slip away to the junk man. Sell it to a another Olds guy rather the screw it up and use the money to buy a 455 and transmission if you have to.
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:30 AM

to hell with the wife! (yeah I said it in my head) not out loud!

Okay guys thanks for the "motivating words", after driving her into work this morning (22 miles one way) this was my REAL drive since I actually got it, the car rides pretty damn smooth and I even got a thumbs up! That being said..... ain't no in hell I am going to cannibalize that car!

I will just deal with the "nagging" and keep both! I had a small problem with the kickdown switch in the car but after messing around with it, it seemed to cure itself and that was a whole new car driving experience with the passing gear actually working!

So I will keep the car and hell....build em both!
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Past Administrator

I was reading the whole thread planning on putting in my comment to keep the Delta. When I read you last post I can now say "congratulations upon your wise decision".
Old July 24th, 2009, 10:05 AM
car guy

I know where there is a nice 330 for the 67
Old July 24th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Okay guys thanks for the "motivating words", after driving her into work this morning (22 miles one way) this was my REAL drive since I actually got it, the car rides pretty damn smooth and I even got a thumbs up! That being said..... ain't no in hell I am going to cannibalize that car!

I will just deal with the "nagging" and keep both! I had a small problem with the kickdown switch in the car but after messing around with it, it seemed to cure itself and that was a whole new car driving experience with the passing gear actually working!

WOO HOO!!!! mission accomplished guys!
Old July 24th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I know where there is a nice 330 for the 67
Please dont tell me it is in Dallas???
Old July 24th, 2009, 11:09 AM

WOO HOO!!!! mission accomplished guys!
Yes and a damn fine job at that!! THANK YOU!!!!
Old July 24th, 2009, 11:21 AM
car guy

Nope I live in a suburb near by
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...st-system.html
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:07 PM

Okay guys thanks for the "motivating words",

I will just deal with the "nagging" and keep both!

Excellent decision! When your wife nags about two desirable, appreciating classic cars, nag about her 100 depreciating shoes and purses that may be out of style already...

A nice drive in the Delta! That 330 should fit in the trunk with no issues. .
Old July 24th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

I think you planned to keep both cars all along. You just started this thread to get everybody all riled up.
Old July 24th, 2009, 06:28 PM

I think you planned to keep both cars all alon. You just started this thread to get everybody all riled up.
absolutely not my expertise is in the gm a body that is what I know and I am looking at it from a value stand point and it would seem to me that the cutlass has more value, but then again it depends on who wants it bad enough! I thoroughly gave the. Delta a good "run" today and looking at all the folks that said I should keep her it made me give it a second thought! So that being said they are both staying!

Ijason can u cone stay at your place?
Old July 24th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Ijason can u cone stay at your place?
Huh?
Old July 24th, 2009, 10:15 PM

Huh?
He is looking for places to stay, should the wifey not let him back in the house...
Old July 26th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Thanks Rob yes that is what I meant, I sent that from my iPhone on the fly!

7/25/09 @ 5:52 PM
Had a blowout on the passenger side front, thank god no one was hurt, there was a Corvette next to me that was "white knucklin" it to avoid me cause I damn sure was trying to avoid him! Well here are the pics

literally "ripped" the metal:

Lost my "Sylvester Stallone" hubcap!
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Cool

Yeah that deltas to nice to take apart,just tell her your using it for parts when it comes up say''i haven't got all the stuff i need off yet''.After a couple yrs,she'll catch on.hahaha,good luck,BO
Old July 26th, 2009, 12:06 PM

To bad about the body damage, but you didn't end up in an accident which is good. Looks like it can be fixed without to much trouble. Another excuse to keep it. I have to fix it to sell it dear you understand don't you (remember to keep a sad face on, do not giggle dead give away). Then lower your head and go out to the garage.
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM

Had a blowout on the passenger side front, thank god no one was hurt,
Damn! What did the tire look like after that?? Just pieces??
Geez... That could have happened to me on 7-4, but luckily it held together for 80 more miles... https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-dilemma.html

Sorry to hear about the damage, but glad you kept her in control.
Time for new shoes it looks!
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:52 PM

Here are pics of the tire! ughhhh!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 001.jpg (58.7 KB, 12 views)
Picture 006.jpg (55.2 KB, 5 views)
Picture 010.jpg (59.3 KB, 9 views)
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM

YEEOOUUWWW!!

I wonder how old those were!! As said before, glad you kept it under control. Do replace all of them!
Old July 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM

That looks like a truck tire when they come apart! How much pressure was in it?
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by csstrux
That looks like a truck tire when they come apart! How much pressure was in it?
32 PSI