Last pic of it together for a while. (updated 4-11-2023)

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
oldsmobile newbie

remind me again what you do for work, are you a kind of engineer for NASA or something ....
IS there any end to your genius...
i just don't know i remember something about mac gyver .. i definitly think you are related
Old August 23rd, 2008, 02:10 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by 65topless
remind me again what you do for work, are you a kind of engineer for NASA or something ....
IS there any end to your genius...
i just don't know i remember something about mac gyver .. i definitly think you are related
You guys crack me up. Not doing anything anyone couldn't do if they took thier time. As for Mac Gyver I already said there is no bubble gum holding anything together on this car
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Methinks this is one of my new favorite threads. *subscribe*
Old August 23rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Omicron
Methinks this is one of my new favorite threads. *subscribe*
About time you get in here. This party started a long time ago.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Senior Moment Member

You give yourself too little credit. Your work is really outstanding. Mcgyver has nothing on you! I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed this thread. Keep up the great work!
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Past Administrator

I have realized something, and not to diminish the work or skill that has gone into your project. A guy really needs a good space to work in and good tools. You really have a nice garage and that lift is great. I understand now why my project isn't getting finished. No space to work! Not making excuses, but it sure makes a difference if a person can just walk out into the garage, flip on the lights and start working. Just had to rant a little I guess.
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:31 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I have realized something, and not to diminish the work or skill that has gone into your project. A guy really needs a good space to work in and good tools. You really have a nice garage and that lift is great. I understand now why my project isn't getting finished. No space to work! Not making excuses, but it sure makes a difference if a person can just walk out into the garage, flip on the lights and start working. Just had to rant a little I guess.
Quit making excuses and get to work
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Past Administrator

Thanks, I needed that, honestly. A good kick in the pants never hurt anybody.
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:06 PM

it sure makes a difference if a person can just walk out into the garage, flip on the lights and start working
Go into the garage one weekend and throw away everything that isn't Oldsmobile related. You will never miss that old camping stuff.

Of course it could be due to the fact that you are 53!
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:36 PM

G-head,
Thanks for posting as I know it takes a lot of time to document and write. I've been glued to this thread and have enjoyed it very much. It's also given me some inspiration to tear into things like you do. Can't wait to see the final product.
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Olds64
Go into the garage one weekend and throw away everything that isn't Oldsmobile related. You will never miss that old camping stuff.

Of course it could be due to the fact that you are 53!

And I can still beat your Butt!
Anyone interested in some camping equipment?
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:08 AM

Anyone interested in some camping equipment?
Heck yeah, ya got an Omega mini camper?
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:15 PM

How does one subscribe to these threads? New ish to computers
Old August 26th, 2008, 08:13 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by csstrux
How does one subscribe to these threads? New ish to computers
When you post a reply look down at the bottom where it says additional options. The 3rd box down says notification type. Just change it to the choice you want.

If you want it to default a certain way every time you can go to user cp at the top and change your options
Old August 29th, 2008, 04:19 PM

Cool done
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:13 PM
car guy

I took the last week off on the car. I came aross a deal on a 01 Z28 with a blown motor. Worked on cleaning up and detailing it. Sold in 6 days and made a few bucks I can put back in the Olds.

Finally got a little work done tonight. Mostly odds and ends cleaning parts for future install.

I had a couple tries to get something I like and I and now happy with how the throtte piece is comming out. Still need to smooth it out and get it ready for refinish but you can get the idea of how it will look. The pot metal piece is what will be replaced.

[/img]

Last edited by gearheads78; December 10th, 2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:47 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Heck yeah, ya got an Omega mini camper?
Nope, besides that wouldn't go if I had one, it would have a rocket emblem on it someplace.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
You give yourself too little credit. Your work is really outstanding. Mcgyver has nothing on you! I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed this thread. Keep up the great work!
I totally agree. This level of skill has made me question my ability to restore anything.
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:15 AM

Amen to this - tenfold!!
I cannot even change headlights unless I back the car out and opening the garage, letting the hot or cold in.

Nice thing is that since Gearhead is just down the street from me, I can just go over and work on my car at his place!

J/K!
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I can just go over and work on my car at his place!

J/K!
Sounds like a good idea. Hmmm rent by the hour
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM
car guy

Today I dropped the last of the stuff I need plated off to the industrial plater I used before. I picked up my calipers a few days ago from the coater.

Boys and girls don't try this at home. I now have so much time in these front calipers its not even funny. About 2 hours sanding and shaping. About 4-5 hours with an xatco knife cuting the high heat tape for the coater and another 6-7 hours with the smallest dremel bit I have ever seen (apox 1/16") and xacto knife trimming the coating out of the letters and getting the masking tape out. My vision is finally a reality and I don't have to worry about seeing 50 cars with the same aftermarket brakes.
Drum roll please...So what do you think?

Old September 5th, 2008, 04:28 AM

I love it
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:55 AM
69CuttyS

I think you could make a good bit of coin selling these. That's what I think.
Probably about 30 guys right here.
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Good point! I've always subscribed to the "factory" school of thought, but those calipers are so cool, I'd buy a pair! Smells like an opportunity for someone...
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by KeithA0000
I think you could make a good bit of coin selling these. That's what I think.
Probably about 30 guys right here.
You could buy a set of Brembos for what I would have to charge for this set. If I did it again I would have to try to powder coat first then have machined. I am just not sure if the coating will machine off clean or chip up around the edges. If some people are seriously interested I will look in to what it would take for make a few sets. Keep in mind you would have to run min 17" wheels and a few styles would have to go to 18"
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Drum roll please...So what do you think?
AWSOME! I think we all know who the man is!
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Olds64
AWSOME! I think we all know who the man is!
Thanks

Real progress today

Got the pistons back in the calipers and got them all ready to install. I need to pick up some pads this week.

I got the belhousing mocked up one more time with the .007 offset dowels. Its now right under the specs recomended by the manufacture. They say .005 and I am at .004
Don't buy the Lakewood brand offset dowels. Mine were bigger than the hole by about .003
Went and got Moroso ones and they were right on.

Installed the adapter pilot bearing to use in an auto crank. I have read mixed revues about these. Hopefully it will last 6-8 months until the 455 is built.

Using a Centerforce DF clutch set and a McLeod ajustable pivot ball.

Finally out of the box and bolted to its new home.

Clutch fork needs to be 5-7 degrees toward the front. The angle was achieved using th adjustable ball. Notice how far the stud from the ball sticks out. Once marked it was pulled back apart to cut the excess off.

MMMMMMMM....... 5-speed finally in place

Now we are cookn'

Old September 8th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Thumbs up

WOW
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Senior Moment Member

WOW
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:15 PM
car guy

Is there an echo in here

Refurbished and redesigned throttle linkage done tonight. Another part with way too much time in.

before

after

Old September 8th, 2008, 11:17 PM

superb work and tx for all the pics /updates .
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:42 AM

If you all think this all looks great online, you should see it in person; it is more like a work of art!
I went over Saturday evening and I have to say this guy sure knows his stuff and he does not settle for "good enough".
I had never seen such a nice looking chassis up close; too bad it will be hidden under the body... Also I had never seen a tool chest that was the size of two refrigerators side by side!
Now I just wish I had postponed my visit a few days so I could have seen that engine and tranny in place!!
Keep it up Gearhead - you're on a roll!!
(Rolling chassis that is...)
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:15 AM
car guy

Thanks Rob It was nice meeting you. As for my box that whole top part is just a hutch and is worthless to me. Its designed for use in a shop where a tech can lock up large personal belongings like a radio or computer. I need a real top box in that area so I will have the space of two refrigerators.

I picked up the rear pads today so if I am not too tired tonight I may have the rolling chassis together with the other tires on the back installed.
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Thanks Rob It was nice meeting you. As for my box that whole top part is just a hutch and is worthless to me. Its designed for use in a shop where a tech can lock up large personal belongings like a radio or computer. I need a real top box in that area so I will have the space of two refrigerators.
Well just use that empty top space for a beer 'fridge and a stereo!
You need to outdo this one...
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...19D&lpage=none

I can't wait to see both of those huge rear tires on that chassis!
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Wow! That is cool beans!

When you get the car put together it will be like rowing a boat with that 5 speed manual. It will be fun!
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM

I always wondered about those fancy gadgets. I need to get me some of those... and the knoledge to use them. ah well, all tghings come in time right? Besides I,m still on my first project and still in the learning stages. Still, the quality of your work is something to aspire to, and the pics help when one can see what something should look like. BTW the throtle linkage is strictly mechanical on the 67 from the factory? or is that for a special intake? a friend had a 66 chuvvle and I had a 65, don't remember what either looked like to be honest.Don't know if underhood would look similar anyhow.
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:00 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by csstrux
I always wondered about those fancy gadgets. I need to get me some of those... and the knoledge to use them. ah well, all tghings come in time right? Besides I,m still on my first project and still in the learning stages. Still, the quality of your work is something to aspire to, and the pics help when one can see what something should look like. BTW the throtle linkage is strictly mechanical on the 67 from the factory? or is that for a special intake? a friend had a 66 chuvvle and I had a 65, don't remember what either looked like to be honest.Don't know if underhood would look similar anyhow.
65-67 use this type of linkage. I assume 64 does too but have never looked at one.

Brakes are on and now the rolling chassis is basicly complete. A few things to deal with in the body and then its time to finally start putting it all back together. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Old September 10th, 2008, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
65-67 use this type of linkage. I assume 64 does too but have never looked at one.

Brakes are on and now the rolling chassis is basicly complete. A few things to deal with in the body and then its time to finally start putting it all back together. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Great looking project. Something to be proud of. You'll enjoy every memory of completing this for many years

Old September 10th, 2008, 05:46 AM

WOW! Now that is one sweeeeettt-looking chassis! I still think it looks too nice to be hidden.
Hey - just add a seat and steering wheel and it would make one h*ll of a go-cart!

I see the light, too - it is all downhill from here (we hope!)

BTW, what is with those fine steel cables wrapped around the rear section? I forgot to ask on Sat...
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:43 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
WOW! Now that is one sweeeeettt-looking chassis! I still think it looks too nice to be hidden.
Hey - just add a seat and steering wheel and it would make one h*ll of a go-cart!

I see the light, too - it is all downhill from here (we hope!)

BTW, what is with those fine steel cables wrapped around the rear section? I forgot to ask on Sat...
E-brake cables...Waiting to get the body on to cut to length

Quick Reply: Last pic of it together for a while. (updated 4-11-2023)