Into the unknown - Underhood restoration!

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by macrover
It took me a minute to cycle through my acronym soup but I got it now..."SFH" Ha!
As opposed to a "BFH". All 3 tools a requirement of a DIY mechanic. Oh yeah add 2 more 'secret weapons' - duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't - Duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should - WD40!
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
wow , thats turning out great ... good job ! btw... did you get any tiny air bubbles in the POR15 when you brushed it on ? I always had to deal with that when I worked with POR15. how did you avoid that ?.... I tried pouring the paint through a screen from a coffee maker to get rid of bubbles , but didnt seem to work/ or I was in to big of a hurry
This will happen when it is too humid out or the metal is damp. It dries too fast.
I did mine in 30% or less, so there were some bubbles but they went away.
The slower it dries, the better the finish it almost seems.

It took me a minute to cycle through my acronym soup but I got it now..."SFH" Ha!
small f'in hammer.

Rob, you're planning this on a wagon??? Man oh man..
Yep. The guys in the white coats will be taking me away soon...

Originally Posted by 69442C
THAT big bolt retains the harmonic balancer to the crank and shouldn't pass through the pulley. The pulley should come off with just by removing the 4 smaller bolts and maybe with a little gentle persuasion with a SFH or rubber mallet.
SERIOUSLY???
I was thinking of my Ford which has that one bolt that holds it all on. It has a 4 speed, so removing it is easy.
Well, it looks like Mr. Pulley will be coming off this afternoon!!

I am sure glad this was brought up!!
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
If it moves and it shouldn't - Duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should - WD40!
And if WD40 will not make it move, enter BFH. Gotta have a backup/last resort method...
OOH, BOY.... Mr pulley gets to meet Mr. BFH this afternoon.........
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:43 AM

Duly noted! Even though I prefer PB-Blaster over WD40 for the things that don't move so easily.

Judging from Rob's work and progress, I'm going to need a few cans of both for my projects, that's for sure.

Oh, make sure not the get any on the BFH, I'd hate for it's to slip off the pulley.
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
SERIOUSLY??? I was thinking of my Ford which has that one bolt that holds it all on. It has a 4 speed, so removing it is easy. Well, it looks like Mr. Pulley will be coming off this afternoon!! I am sure glad this was brought up!!
Dude! When have we not been serious??? (sound familiar? )
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Just an Olds Guy

And if WD40 will not make it move, enter BFH. Gotta have a backup/last resort method...
OOH, BOY.... Mr pulley gets to meet Mr. BFH this afternoon.........
Careful there Master Yoda! Wiggle it should off easily..... LIGHT persuasion as needed. So Rubber mallet, maaayyybee a SFH with Light taps and it should pop right off. It did with the one on the 455 I tored down and it was on tighter than a Scotsman's hands on his wallet.
Old September 16th, 2011, 12:13 PM

Dude! When have we not been serious???
Old September 16th, 2011, 04:35 PM

A block of wood may limit damage and still allow the use of a BFH if necessary. Up north we use pine. it is pretty soft. What is the mesquite like down there?
Old September 16th, 2011, 05:58 PM

Duly noted! Even though I prefer PB-Blaster over WD40 for the things that don't move so easily.

Judging from Rob's work and progress, I'm going to need a few cans of both for my projects, that's for sure.

Oh, make sure not the get any on the BFH, I'd hate for it's to slip off the pulley.

This is a great build to watch. The speed of the work is amazing. I wonder how Rob can get 28 hours out of one day.
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:57 PM

Careful there Master Yoda! Wiggle it should off easily..... LIGHT persuasion as needed. So Rubber mallet, maaayyybee a SFH with Light taps and it should pop right off. It did with the one on the 455 I tored down and it was on tighter than a Scotsman's hands on his wallet.
Super easy, yea. In a fantacy world I guess!
So popped the 4 bolts off with the 18V impact wrench and toss em in the parts washer. Nice going so far!

However.................
Mr. Pulley is stuck. Mr. Pulley meets SFH. Mr. Pulley curses SFH. SFH refuses to work. Grab BFRM (BF rubber mallet). Beat pulley from all sides. Pulley becomes loose. Lots of crap falls out. Grab pulley and pull and twist, lightly and hard. Pulley starts to rotate. Spray with WD40. Beat pulley more. Turn pulley. Pull pulley. Repeat 10 times.
Pulley now spins all the way around easily like its on bearings. Pulley will not come forward. Pry on pulley with 3 screwdrivers. Pulley stays put. Get SBFH ("Big Bertha"). No room to swing. Get beer. Look for hidden nuts or washers. None to be found. Grab pulley again and pull and twist. Pulley curses me and spins. Get big screwdriver and pound it in between SOB pulley and balancer with BFH from below. Mr. Pulley pops off and drops. Mr. Pulley trys to knock Rob in the noggin. Rob trys hard to not launch Mr. pulley into Earth's orbit.

So as you can see, this was no cakewalk.. Almost 2 hours on a stinken' pulley.
However, I defeated the sucker and it got wirewheeled, derusted, etched, and primed. To my amazement, drops of water began falling from the sky. What are these??? Odd....
Therefore I could not apply final paint, but will do that tomorrow.

Originally Posted by stellar
What is the mesquite like down there?
After this summer, dead...

This is a great build to watch. The speed of the work is amazing. I wonder how Rob can get 28 hours out of one day.
I wonder that, too... Extra time comes from that 'sleep' time that apparently I do not need. Factor in the day job, errands after work, yard work, and car work and "busy" is suddenly redefined. Add in thoughts of picking up a wagon In MI and helping a friend with his resto, sleep becomes more optional...

The commitment to finishing by October keeps me going, though.
It looks like your starter will get its first juice by next weekend.
Old September 16th, 2011, 07:36 PM

Rob, what are you doing in October? I have an October deadline set for myself as well...I'm trying to make the BOP shootout in San Antonio. I need break-in miles so if there is something going on up your way I'd love the opportunity to drive up there.
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Rob, what are you doing in October? I have an October deadline set for myself as well...I'm trying to make the BOP shootout in San Antonio. I need break-in miles so if there is something going on up your way I'd love the opportunity to drive up there.
This:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ow-update.html

Here are pics from 2 years ago when I went:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...zone-show.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...a-members.html

If this aint worth driving down to attend, nothing is!
Old September 17th, 2011, 05:37 AM

I am hoping to attend the zone show this year to check out all the neat cars!
Old September 17th, 2011, 07:00 AM

The Mr. Pulley post is a classic. Had me laughing for a long time.
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:00 PM

Care package from John arrives!

Saturday delivery – just in time!
In the box was a choke stove and pipes, two steering column bearings, an ignition capacitor, sway bar bracket, exhaust spring and a valve rotator.

Exhaust spring and rotator was cleaned up and checked out and installed. I did notice the rotator was worn 0.020” more than the old one. Therefore there would be less force on the exhaust valve, but I figure that little bit could not matter that much on a street engine. It turns fine, unlike my old one that binds. My original is on the right.

The choke stove was for a 455, different than for a 350, but easily modified to fit a 350. Some careful creative bending and presto!

Old on the left, new on the right:

For a used part, it is pretty solid. The part that goes in the manifold is a lot shorter than mine, but it should work.. My old hot air pipe had a hole in it, so his new one would surely work better!
I cleaned it up, smoothed it out, and painted it.

The steering column bearings were both as loose as my old one. I am guessing they all have a 0.01” slop designed in, so I cleaned up my old one more, packed it with grease, then reinstalled it.

I never felt any looseness down there before, so I will leave it as is. The added grease firmed it up some also.

Ignition cap, bracket, and sway bar bracket were all stripped, cleaned, and painted.
Cap was mounted on the coil bracket the next day along with the coil.
Brake booster pipe assembly was assembled also.

Lastly, the infamous (pain-in-the-butt) Mr. Pulley was painted with underhood black, along with the bolts..

Good progress for 4 hours. So now the missing puzzle pieces have been found and assembly continues. I will take the parts I did not use back to John when I visit with him this fall - works out great for both of us. Thanks John!

The Mr. Pulley post is a classic. Had me laughing for a long time.

RX pain meds and beer do strange things to my mind.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rotators_3043.jpg (32.3 KB, 702 views)
Choke stove_assys_3052.jpg (78.0 KB, 699 views)
Lower_column_bearing_3040.jpg (54.2 KB, 704 views)
More_parts_ready_3062.jpg (49.2 KB, 703 views)
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Super easy, yea. In a fantacy world I guess!
So popped the 4 bolts off with the 18V impact wrench and toss em in the parts washer. Nice going so far!

However.................
Mr. Pulley is stuck. Mr. Pulley meets SFH. Mr. Pulley curses SFH. SFH refuses to work. Grab BFRM. Beat pulley from all sides. Pulley becomes loose. Lots of crap falls out. Grab pulley and pull and twist, lightly and hard. Pulley starts to rotate. Spray with WD40. Beat pulley more. Turn pulley. Pull pulley. Repeat 10 times.
Pulley now turns all the way around easily like its on bearings. Pulley will not come forward. Pry on pulley with 3 screwdrivers. Pulley stays put. Get SBFH ("Big Bertha"). No room to swing. Get beer. Look for hidden nuts or washers. None to be found. Grab pulley again and pull and twist. Pulley curses me and spins. Get big screwdriver and pound it in between SOB pulley and balancer with BFH from below. Mr. Pulley pops off and drops. Mr. Pulley trys to knock Rob in the noggin. Rob trys hard to not launch Mr. pulley into Earth's orbit.
I knows zactly hows ya feels... Your pulley and my UCA bushings!!!
Old September 19th, 2011, 07:05 PM

I knows zactly hows ya feels... Your pulley and my UCA bushings!!!
But bushings are supposed to be a pain! After all they are press fit and rusted on with a shaft through the center.
My pulley? Four friggen bolts that came right out. Nothing else visible to hold it on. That's my luck. The hard parts pop right off but the easy stuff don't.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:16 PM

Woot. Highly recommend the semi gloss black.
I started out with flat, and then went to semi-gloss instead. This is the flat in the pic tho.

442enginebayclean.jpg

For the plastic fender wells buy the Krylon FUSION rattle can paint.
It's specially designed for plastics, and it works awesome. Just about all parts stores carry it.
Old September 21st, 2011, 07:30 PM

On Tuesday the frame grooves were welded

After the bozo who was supposed to come weld it with his gas powered unit didn’t show, I hired the legendary gearhead78 to come weld them up with his Millermatic 175 MIG. I should have called him in the first place, but my ignorance of welders never led me to believe they could plug into a regular clothes dryer outlet. We did just that since the welder only needed a 30A circuit.
Richard was here for 30 minutes, only 2 minutes of that was blue-light time…

So in the end I had two nice thick welds, one in each front control arm mounting point.
Thanks for a good job Richard!

The next day was the fun of grinding the welds. They were not easy to grind through, so they must be quite strong! I used an angle grinder to hit the highest points but it would not get into the back.. I tried the dremel but it would take too long. I ended up using my 30 year old 120V 2000 RPM electric drill with a mower blade sharpening stone. It worked but was time consuming and messy. After about 30 minutes per side, I cleaned the areas and painted them with POR15 like the rest of the frame.

Here is the process - before, after weld, after grind, after paint. Good enough.

Glad to have that milestone passed!

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Highly recommend the semi gloss black.
I started out with flat, and then went to semi-gloss instead. This is the flat in the pic tho.

For the plastic fender wells buy the Krylon FUSION rattle can paint.
It's specially designed for plastics, and it works awesome. Just about all parts stores carry it.
The flat black on your firewall looks pretty factory to me. Yes, the frame is best with the semigloss, not only for looks, but for cleanability, too. Should be easy to topcoat over the flat.

No paint is best on the fenderwells and oven cleaner will strip them CLEAN of almost everything.
The plastic paint is a good idea if the plastic is discolored on the engine side like mine were on the tire side.
Attached Images
Frame_welding_0781.jpg (63.6 KB, 658 views)
Frame_welding.jpg (69.6 KB, 653 views)
Old September 22nd, 2011, 04:19 AM

Glad to have that milestone passed!
I had wondered what happened with this repair since you mentioned a welder was supposed to arrive on a Saturday a couple of weeks ago. People who never follow through on what they promise really bug the crap out of me. Glad you found someone to take care of it and now you don't have to worry about those grooves and feel you need to look them over from time to time. Problem solved. You will find that some of the small welders will plug into a 110V receptacle. These migs are very user friendly and require no special power source, which is why I was kidding you in the past about no one down your way offering to help you out. As for the lawn mover griding stone, I had to laugh at that one because...well.. I did the same exact thing many years ago and it did the trick.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by 69442C
You will find that some of the small welders will plug into a 110V receptacle. These migs are very user friendly and require no special power source, which is why I was kidding you in the past about no one down your way offering to help you out. As for the lawn mover griding stone, I had to laugh at that one because...well.. I did the same exact thing many years ago and it did the trick.
This is what happens when I am not knowledgable in something. I was asking around for someone with a 120V or gas welder. Most did not have one. Most 230V welders have NEMA 6-50 plugs and larger ones need 50A circuits, neither of which I have.
Richard's welder had a 6-50 plug, but he had a 20' extension that had a 6-50 receptical and a 10-30 plug, which is a dryer plug. I never knew about this and I am glad we looked into it. Heck, when he told me his welder only needed a 30A circuit, i was ready to swap out my dryer plug for a 6-50 just so we could get the job done. His extension saved more time and all in all I got a quality repair in just 30 minutes. I learned a lot here! Now to move on with reassembly.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:40 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

His extension saved more time and all in all I got a quality repair in just 30 minutes.
They also make (or you can fabricate) a "Two-Headed" cord that can be used in cases where there is no 220v source available (provided the draw isn't too high) - you just cut the female ends off of two heavy-duty extension cords, and connect them both to a 220v receptacle in a steel box ("Hot" or black of each cord to a different "Hot" terminal of the receptacle, and "Cold" or white of both cords to "Cold" of the receptacle. For good measure, you can connect the "Grounds" or greens of both to the box itself, and to a fourth receptacle terminal, if you've got a newfangled receptacle), then plug each cord into different 110v outlets on different "legs" of the circuit (you confirm by checking for voltage across the "Hots" of the receptacle - same leg will give you Zero, different legs will give you 220). So long as nobody hooked up the polarity of any outlets backwards (which would trip a breaker as soon as you plugged in), you're good to go!

Did I explain that well enough?

- Eric
Old September 22nd, 2011, 07:30 AM
car guy

I hired the legendary gearhead78 to come weld them up with his Millermatic 175 MIG.

That mad me giggle a little

Crawling around your floor I sure learned something. I am a spoiled SOB.

It's been 9 years since I moved outside of town to a house with a small shop and now built a bigger small shop. I don't know how I ever worked out of a regular house garage with 2 cars in it all the time like I used to.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Got a question now. Seeing as the frame can be welded (high heat) what are the chances my Control arm that got dented during the bushing press can be heated and pounded flat again?

A mechanic said this would be a bad move because it is a suspension part, and heating will ruin the steels tempering rendering the CA useless. Is this true? that CA is bloody heavy gauge steel. It is one of the rear CA bushing holes (the back one to be specific) that got dented.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
That mad me giggle a little

Rob, I think Richard liked getting off diaper duty for a little while.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM

The frame is an alloy of mild steel as is that lower control arm. However that hole the bushing goes in is a high tolerance hole. Not much of a variance in the size because that bushing MUST fit very tightly. If you heat that arm it could change the size of it. I wouldn't take the chance. It can be cold straightened. There are gorillas swinging BFHs to straighten and metal finishing our big old bumpers.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442_Mustang
Not much of a variance in the size because that bushing MUST fit very tightly....... It can be cold straightened. There are gorillas swinging BFHs to straighten and metal finishing our big old bumpers.
Here gorilla rilla rilla.....Got a banana for you.....
Point taken. I'll drop by a shop and see if they can help. I was having a problem with it because it doesn't fit easily into a vise, and I don't have an anvil to beat it against.
Here's what it looks like:

As you can see there is absolutely no damage to the main seat where the bushing presses in. The damage is on the back side where the bushing sits. Rob and I discussed this and think it may be ok as is, but ultimately would be better if it was straightened.
Attached Images
IMG_1683.jpg (61.2 KB, 629 views)
IMG_1692.JPG (44.1 KB, 622 views)
Old September 22nd, 2011, 04:13 PM

Good job by Richard the care guy. Rob what does Richards giggle sound like?
Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:13 PM
car guy

How about a big c -clamp and two pieces of thick metal sandwiched together.

Here gorilla rilla rilla.....Got a banana for you.....
Point taken. I'll drop by a shop and see if they can help. I was having a problem with it because it doesn't fit easily into a vise, and I don't have an anvil to beat it against.
Here's what it looks like:

As you can see there is absolutely no damage to the main seat where the bushing presses in. The damage is on the back side where the bushing sits. Rob and I discussed this and think it may be ok as is, but ultimately would be better if it was straightened.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hmmm, never thought of that. Need to find some thick flat steel. How thick do you think? Would 3/8" plate work?
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Did I explain that well enough?
Yep, I know exactly what you mean. Glad the dryer outlet worked so well.

... I don't know how I ever worked out of a regular house garage with 2 cars in it all the time like I used to.
I'll say! I never thought I would be working on cars like this or I would have bought more land or built a bigger garage! Hindsight is SOOOooo 20/20.
Here is what Richard is referring to; the biggest challenge of this project aside from the extreme heat is CLOSE QUARTERS:

Originally Posted by citcapp
Good job by Richard the car guy. Rob what does Richards giggle sound like?
He made sure he was gone before the giggle. His own little secret I guess...

Use a 8" - 12" quality clamp and the base of the clamp could go right on the arm and only one plate of 1/4" or up can be used under the rotating foot of the clamp. Lube the clamp thread well first! Worth a try and should work...
Clamp of the ball joint press could even be adapted for use.
Attached Images
Close_quarters_2920.jpg (54.6 KB, 599 views)
Close_quarters_2922.jpg (65.6 KB, 610 views)
Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I'll say! I never thought I would be working on cars like this or I would have bought more land or built a bigger garage! Hindsight is SOOOooo 20/20.
Here is what Richard is referring to; the biggest challenge of this project aside from the extreme heat is CLOSE QUARTERS
Ahhh, I see what the problem is. You forgot that you can park one car outside and use the whole garage to your advantage!!! You are soooo right, Hindsight is 20/20 when the car's apart and up on jacks...... If I don't get finished mine in time, I can still just clean up part of the garage for my wife to park in. A good winter day up here is worse than your worst winter day in TX.

Use a 8" - 12" quality clamp and the base of the clamp could go right on the arm and only one plate of 1/4" or up can be used under the rotating foot of the clamp. Lube the clamp thread well first! Worth a try and should work...
Clamp of the ball joint press could even be adapted for use.
Good suggestion. I have a good 8" C clamp. BJ press? No, it's way too big to maneuver in there & besides I took it back yesterday. I can get it again anytime I need it on the loaner program. (these guys are starting to recognize me and think I'm running a business I think )
Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:54 AM

Ahhh, I see what the problem is. You forgot that you can park one car outside and use the whole garage to your advantage!!!
Ahhhh.... But what you do not see are up to 3 cars and a bike outside also. No way am I gonna play musical cars for 20 minutes just too do a few hours of wrenching...
And that 7" gap between the front bumper and work bench is what I call "fat man's squeeze". I can barely get by if I stand on my toes and face the wall. Moving a car out will not help that. Note the angled aluminum mounted on the workbench to keep my clothes from catching on the wood edge... Richard found it easier just to crawl under the car...
With all the hot weather and bugs we have, the roll up door has to stay closed when working, so no going around.

Translation - standard sized garages suck for working on cars.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:08 AM
car guy

... Richard found it easier just to crawl under the car.
Nice way to say I was too fat to pass through
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:28 AM

[QUOTE=Lady72nRob71;324710]
I never thought I would be working on cars like this or I would have bought more land or built a bigger garage! Hindsight is SOOOooo 20/20.
QUOTE]

Yikes, I started to feel claustrophobic just looking at the pictures. I have a friend with a very similar situation in garage about the same size and he decided he needed a 2 post lift. Talk about 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag! I had a garage like that in the past and it was no fun to work in. So when we built the current house I had the opportunity to solve that problem. But the problem with garages or work shops is no matter how big you make them, they will eventually start to feel too small at some point. I think it has to do with more space means more stuff and more stuff means less room. Less room means stuff needs to be removed or the shop needs to be bigger. I seem to see it as the shop needs to be bigger.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ahhhh.... But what you do not see are up to 3 cars and a bike outside also.
With all the hot weather and bugs we have, the roll up door has to stay closed when working, so no going around.
Translation - standard sized garages suck for working on cars.
Ok, I get it. You rich enough to afford more transportation than you can drive at one time, but too cheap to buy a big garage?? Just kidding.

I guess that I really can't complain. I can open the garage door and it's 75° outside. I close it and it goes down to 65°. And the other part about my garage that makes it somewhat easier to get around, it's split. One side is 24X10 and the other half is 20X10. It gives me some latitude for the 'fat man blues'.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I prefer to think of my girth as something earned, as well as bought and paid for! I think we're in the same boat, although from the pic Rob posted of you, I doubt you're more than 200 soaking wet.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:00 PM

Don't worry. Carl (HAMM36) was over the other day and he couldn't make it either. Did not even try. Heck, I had to quit drinking beer and loose weight so I could pass through.

Ok, I get it. You rich enough to afford more transportation than you can drive at one time, but too cheap to buy a big garage?? Just kidding.
Got the $, just do not want to dump a lot into this house. Doing it right would be very costly. Not the right neighborhood and I would not get it back when I sell. Thought about a cheapie carport but wont help in the extreme temps...
Besides, I screwed myself on the house placement to add on even if I wanted to.
Now my next house in OR will be different. Huge garage and a small shop on acreage.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:09 PM

Nice job on the welding. I have yet to get mine done (wallowed out hole on lower front dr. side mounting bracket). I have a new Lincoln MIG/Flux Core welder, but my welding skillz suck.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by oldzy
I have a new Lincoln MIG/Flux Core welder, but my welding skillz suck.
Mine too. I tried a 120V wire feed unit a while back to repair a spot weld in a door. Even after some practice of blowing holes in sheet metal, my finished spot weld looked more like what ducks leave on the dock.
It held though, surprisingly...

Quick Reply: Into the unknown - Underhood restoration!