High School Auto Body

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

High School Auto Body

Back in the 10-12 grades we had vocational school for auto mechanics and auto body. You had to sign up 1-2 years ahead of time and hope you'd get in. The cool thing was you got to get out of school at noon and a bus would take you across town to the vocational school. Great teachers!There were so many guys interested in mechanics and body/metal work. But just like shop class, it's all gone. No interest and I'm sure the schools didn't want the liability. Hell, if you got hurt back then it was your fault!They even had a full paint shop for teaching. Don't know where the graduates went, but there sure not around here
AL

Last edited by Al Graaf; March 25th, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old March 25th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I went to a school like this through my high school. I actally got a job for the old shop my teacher worked for after i left my first shop where i was at 3 years . The other teacher tells me if i ever need a shop he has one i can go to . I graduated top 3 in my year class for that program. Kids today dont care they see it as an easy credit and way to get out of school. I went in and my first year was a total joke i screwed around alot. My second year started out rough and my teacher personally told me i got on his nerves but he said once you got out there and worked i saw potential in you and he is the one who pushed me hard and just wanted to keep me busy so i would shut up., But i learnd enough to start working staright out of high school in a body shop i contacted. I worked with a great crew and the manager was a hardcore olds guy with a 9 sec olds and that where it all started for me .
Old March 25th, 2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by shimmer
we had vacational school
While I'm sure many students treated it this way, and this is a Freudian slip if there ever was one, I think you mean vocational school!

vocation: work; job

vacation: what you do when you're not doing the above

Old March 25th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by jaunty75
While I'm sure many students treated it this way, and this is a Freudian slip if there ever was one, I think you mean vocational school!

vocation: work; job

vacation: what you do when you're not doing the above

I liked the way you explained that
Old March 25th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Oldsdruid

Most school systems no longer see the value in trades education. I think it has something to do with funding formulas and how many kids they send on to a 4-year school.

From experience, the high school I attended was simply not interested in you if you weren't headed to a big-name four year school. Once that old bat who was head of guidance department retired, things changed a lot and the high school opened up a bunch of useful trades courses.

Now with all the funding cuts, the first thing they eliminated were the vocational classes.

Dumb sumbiches obviously don't realise you HAVE to have people who can repair and fix things to keep modern life going. Mechanics, plumbers, electricians, carpenters, masons, those type folks. The folks who have to build and fix things for the educated but ignorant holders of bachelors and advanced degrees.
Old March 25th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Most school systems no longer see the value in trades education. I think it has something to do with funding formulas and how many kids they send on to a 4-year school.

From experience, the high school I attended was simply not interested in you if you weren't headed to a big-name four year school. Once that old bat who was head of guidance department retired, things changed a lot and the high school opened up a bunch of useful trades courses.

Now with all the funding cuts, the first thing they eliminated were the vocational classes.

Dumb sumbiches obviously don't realise you HAVE to have people who can repair and fix things to keep modern life going. Mechanics, plumbers, electricians, carpenters, masons, those type folks. The folks who have to build and fix things for the educated but ignorant holders of bachelors and advanced degrees.
Agreed! I'm a remodeling contractor for 39 years now and our core base of customer is the advanced degrees as you call them. I love my work as we do all the different items you mentioned. But ignorant..yep! Amazing little story:Had a job we were on and the housewife tells me the bedroom doors upstairs haven't closed since they had them painted. Even had screen door hooks on them! This was a very nice area of town. Said we'd look at it and take care of it. Her husband an attorney couldn't figure it out. Well the hinge screws were sticking out. Kid you not. Screwed them in and they thought I was wonderful. Didn't tell them. Dumb sumbitches!Guy on my crew uses that work alot
Old March 25th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider

It's the above, plus the lawyers...
Old March 26th, 2012, 06:59 AM

Education system is all about passing standardized tests, not getting you ready for a vocation or college. Then we end up with too many 20-somethings with piles of student loans living with parents instead of supporting themselves.
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Administrator

I am a product of the high school vocational system, I graduated with the equivalent of an Associates Degree in electronics. Back in the mid 70's, you did not have to have a degree from a college to get a decent job, just ambition.

I was very successful in my work career without a degree. I started out in the video game industry and landed a job with a Flight Simmulator co, I taught myself 3 programming languages and became very proficient in electronics, hydraulics, and electrical systems. From there I went to work on real airplanes and had a very solid career in that field.

Then in the early 90's, the aircraft industry was in a slump, so I took all that aircraft tech and applied it to the food manufacturing industry automating plants, which led to another successful career running and building food plants.

Then in 2000 I got into industrial sales, as I was tired of traveling, and was extremely successful at that. Now I'm part of the working retired, selling previously enjoyed cars for the past 10 years.

The problem in this country now is everyone pushes college, and we have no vocational education system for the kids that have no interested in college. Add that to our manufacturing industry moving so many jobs overseas chasing cheap labor. So whats a kid to do when there are so little choices left?

I see no reason for kids to amass $100-200,000 of student dept in order to get a $40-50,000 a year job!

Last edited by oldcutlass; March 26th, 2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:57 AM

Copper- sounds like you were ar Ladendorf Olds body shop on Rand Road in Mt Prospect!
Heard nothing but good about it!

I, too, took Auto Body at Maine South in Park Ridge, Ill. - gave us a chance to fix-up your DD.
Did a torquois '64 Bel Air that came out great!
Gave me the knowledge to go on and manage 5 different body shops!
Don't know if they still offer it though - todays kids would rather play video games and let Daddy support them!!
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

No rickman48 my first shop was colors collision in st. Charles but I did work with a body man who worked fir leslie olds in glen ellyn for many many years.
Old March 26th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by starfire
It's the above, plus the lawyers...
By sending them to a 4 year college they will be required to take out loans to give the money to the school. It's a sweet deal for the colleges. They get all this money to do what they want to (salaries,buildings,etc) and they don't have to pay it back. The students do. Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone borrowed money, gave it to you, and they had to pay it back and you didn't? 50% drop out here at UK with the student left with the loan.Preparing you for what job?