Getting my 1969 442 convertible back on the road

Old January 12th, 2019, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
If you can put jack stands under the axle and load up the trunk with some weight to simulate gas in the car, it's easier to tighten/torque the UCA bolts that way.
thats a great idea!
Old January 12th, 2019, 03:47 PM

Today's progress

Had to fab up a bracket, this rear didn't have the bolt hole I seen in the manual.
Old January 13th, 2019, 05:03 PM

Got the rear suspension torqued. Hardest part was figuring out how to get wrenches on everything. I do not have a fancy torque wrench. Just the old fashioned long kind with the rod. But eventually I was able to figure it out. Fuel tank went back in smooth, other than I forgot double check the ground wire was out, so I had to drop it back down to fish it out.

I am really happy with ride height in the back. I was devastated for a minute when there was about 4\" difference from left to right, but after I bounced on the back 4 or 5 times it settled right in.

This is after the bounces.

Not sure I am happy about the front ride height, but I have a ton to put back on, (the outer fender you see and the core support is all that is on, more for me to see how it goes on). I want the front to be even or just a but lower than the rear.

I got a ton done. Still lots to do to get her driving by spring. I have been avoiding the front end because I have no idea how it goes together and I know I will take it apart a few times to get it right. But being able to run and tune the engine is great motivation. Have a 10 page paper write next weekend (last one!) So may be a few weekends before I get back to her.
- thanks for reading, and thanks for all the help so far. Olds people really are the class of the car world.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 04:01 PM

Front is back!

Got some time again today to work on her. I got the core support and fenders on, rad is in. The lower hose is not right, even the old one is wrong, so going to have to do some searching. Shroud didn't match completely either, but it should work for the time being. Started laying out the wiring, this is at least the second engine swap, so it looks a little cobbled. I may just order a new one to avoid headaches. Found the rubber parts of my fuel line behind the tire, got those replaced with new. Don't see any more so hopefully I got them all. Still lots of small things to do, but I should have no problem getting her road ready by spring. Couple more weekends I think.

Old January 28th, 2019, 03:53 PM

Great milestone

I cut about 15 wires today. Leftovers of the numerous engine swaps and stereos. Got her turning over on her own.

I also now have fuel to carb from the tank, so I should be able to validate that effort in the next day or two. Despite how happy I am about what I got done in my snow day, my wife is even happier, especially since -30 is coming.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 01:59 PM

Talking

Video 1

Hope this works. I got it running with everything hooked up so I could let her warm up a bit. Needs a bit of a tune, so I have lots to learn, but only a driveshaft and a snowing driveway stopping me from rolling her out. Maybe tomorrow.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 01:59 PM

Video 2
Old February 2nd, 2019, 02:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sounds good!
Old February 3rd, 2019, 12:29 PM

Running AND driving

Got her moving today. What a great feeling. Still need brake adjustments and a bunch of details buttoned up, but she will be ready to rock as soon as spring gets here!!
Old February 3rd, 2019, 12:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Old February 6th, 2019, 06:48 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Rvsmith5
Had to fab up a bracket, this rear didn't have the bolt hole I seen in the manual.
That would be because the rear has been swapped at some point. Good-lookin' fab, though.
Old April 14th, 2019, 04:09 PM

Oh so close

Thought I would get her road ready today, but didn't quite make it. Decided to paint the grill so have to wait a day to put it back. Hope to make a maiden voyage this week!

Part of the grill sitting in place. Still have lots of adjustment to get everything to fit.

Had to put in a new shifter to go with the auto trans. The original 4 speed shifter hooked to it was a bit sketchy. Have to button up the floor, but going to wait and put in new carpet too.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 12:57 PM

Back at it

Waiting anxiously for parts so figured I would post an update. My son came home on leave and helped me diagnose my engine trouble. Got it running, drove it around a bit. Decided to replace the rotten carpet and discovered some needed repairs. You can probably figure out what parts I am waiting on.

Old March 23rd, 2020, 03:32 PM

Update

Been working on new floor pans and painting interior parts.

Before and after of my kick panels. Vinyl dye paint worked well on everything so far. We will see how it holds up.

Old April 22nd, 2020, 02:56 PM

More progress.

Been busy with the 442 lately. Lots of small little details. Carpet is on order! I have got the insulation in. Did a ton of cleanup on the wiring, but have a bit more to go. Got the front drums figured out and back on. I am close to being able to cruise!

Old April 24th, 2020, 12:19 PM

Made a homemade speaker housing for my dash speaker from an aluminum sign. Wrapped it in insulation hopeing to reduce vibration. Not sure if it will work.

Only thing I wish I did was paint the insulation black. The aluminum on the insulation is more noticeable than I expected.
Old April 24th, 2020, 01:20 PM

looks like your coming along nicely, I believe there was a piece of material over the front speaker, even to keep dust etc from sitting in the speaker, might be worth revisiting that? up to you great job anyway
Old April 24th, 2020, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
I believe there was a piece of material over the front speaker, even to keep dust etc from sitting in the speaker, might be worth revisiting that?
great point. I do recall that lightweight fabric on a few other cars. I think I will fashion something to keep the dust out. Thank you!
Old April 24th, 2020, 06:44 PM

great point. I do recall that lightweight fabric on a few other cars. I think I will fashion something to keep the dust out. Thank you!
maybe a piece of pantyhose seriously, you could spray it black when its stretched you can use the other side to replenish funds for more projects LOL...
Old April 24th, 2020, 06:47 PM

or if your skittish LOL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152614615269 reasonably priced
Old April 25th, 2020, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
maybe a piece of pantyhose seriously, you could spray it black when its stretched you can use the other side to replenish funds for more projects LOL...
I do appreciate multitaskers.
Old April 25th, 2020, 09:46 AM

Lol
Old April 25th, 2020, 03:10 PM

More today

Carpet came and it just happened to be a sunny day so I put it in. Added some of the interior parts. The white sure makes that dash look even worse. I probably should have went for it, but man I want to cruise. I think it is something I can go back to next winter if I don't decide to repaint.

Almost time for these!
Old April 25th, 2020, 06:05 PM
No it's not a parts car!!

Carpet came and it just happened to be a sunny day so I put it in. Added some of the interior parts. The white sure makes that dash look even worse. I probably should have went for it, but man I want to cruise. I think it is something I can go back to next winter if I don't decide to repaint.

Almost time for these!
well now you've just gone and ruined it
Da Bears
Old April 29th, 2020, 01:12 PM

Old June 14th, 2020, 03:00 PM

The final post...for now.

Great news! I can declare my convertible officially back on the road! Its not that great to look at yet, but I will get there eventually. This is the 3rd car I have put this much work into, and the first one I ACTUALLY GOT TO DRIVE! The last two were met with untimely endings. (Divorce and fire) I can't tell you how giddy I am, and wow is that 455 fun! The guys at the bar probably thought I was showing off, but I really was just trying to go quick.

Would like to say thanks to everyone who chimed in on my many questions. The help in so many areas was incredible and priceless. Hope I can meet a few of you at a show or swap one day!

​​​​​​​Bob

Old January 28th, 2024, 01:37 PM

Thought it might be time for an update. I was able to drive my 442 a little over two summers before the transmission started slipping. I decided that it was a good time to start the body work, although COVID made the search for sheet metal a bit more difficult and pricey, I am making progress. I have one rear quarter in place, still need to do some welding and grinding. I need to do the wheel well on the other side yet. I will probably replace the front fenders as well. I have patches for them, but the inner fender structure is gone as well, so I think it will just be easier to get replacements. I hope to be able to start spraying primer as the spring weather comes. Still debating on when and how I am going to do the door jambs and those areas, thank you to everyone that commented on that post, it was very helpful.