Garage Finally

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2012, 08:45 PM

Garage Finally

Garage started today, woohoo! Yes that is my phone line. That back hoe was tall sitting on that trailer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Excavation 1.JPG (151.9 KB, 268 views)
Excavation 2.JPG (150.8 KB, 246 views)
Excavation.JPG (148.5 KB, 247 views)
Telephone Line.JPG (148.8 KB, 254 views)
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Congrats! Looks like it will be a fair size?
Old September 18th, 2012, 04:44 AM
72 Olds CS

is that a friggen dunkin donuts cup ???

I am going to collect every one I see (including those that get thrown in my driveway) and bring them all back to DD and throw them in their P lot

aside from that congrats on the garage !!!

before you answer how big it is...I'll tell you its not big enough Mine has somehow gotten smaller the more I use it

Last edited by RetroRanger; September 18th, 2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old September 18th, 2012, 06:15 AM

It's 24x24, two 9x7 doors and I'm sure it's never going to be big enough. Yes that is a DD cup. As soon as I took the pic I saw that, hehe. Just waiting for the form guys to show up now to pour the foundation and also Verizon to fix this telephone line. Just glad it wasn't the power line or cable. On a good note, now the phone line will be higher.
Old September 18th, 2012, 06:21 AM
MOTORHEAD

Hey G
Good to see you have broken ground! Hope you get to move into the new digs before snow flies
Old September 18th, 2012, 06:25 AM

I'm so jealous
Old September 18th, 2012, 06:57 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
is that a friggen dunkin donuts cup ???

I am going to collect every one I see (including those that get thrown in my driveway) and bring them all back to DD and throw them in their P lot
I take it you live near Dunkin Donuts ?

Take your pick at what kind of garbage ends up over here ... Including the human kind . We live in a decent area , but the drug heads and dealers decide this is a good place to do their thing , because the building we live in is off the beaten path
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:09 AM

Yes, DD about two miles away. I live in a nice area thankfully so I don't have to worry about that. Besides, riff raff gets shot on my property and I don't take prisoners. I'm sure the property inspector has a good story from a few years ago. I won't go into that, lol.
Foundation guys just came but there is a snafu. Building inspector says hole needs to be deeper in front. Foundation needs to be a minimum of 42" in the ground in this area. So now I have a truck full of foundations forms on my lawn while we wait for the excavator to come back and fix the hole. Looks like Thursday before the forms go up.
Woot, Verizon just showed up and is fixing the phone line. He says it's going higher up this time, lol.
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

excellent!
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:39 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Nice
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:55 AM

Don't let the concrete contractor talk you into doing a "monolithic pour". This is where they just put a form around the perimeter and pour ALL of the footer and floor at one time. Mine talked me into it saying that it made for a stronger result. BS!!!! Did I say BS!!!???
My floor cracked ALL the way around the perimeter of the garage about 4 feet from the wall after about a week.
After I saw that and thought about it, I saw why. The weight of the walls and footer are much heavier than the weight of the 4 or 5 inch thick floor. The footer is going to settle some. Unfortunately, due to the weight difference, the footer/walls will settle more than the floor causing the floor to crack.
The sales pitch about it being stronger was BS. It's just cheaper for the contractor to do it at one time because they don't have to have the concrete people come out on two seperate occasions. Once for the footer and once to pour the floor (if you do a traditional floating floor).
Congrats and Good luck,
Old September 18th, 2012, 08:21 AM

Good luck with the garage build! mine is 50 x 50 and about 450% too small! Ithink they shrink over time!
Old September 18th, 2012, 08:22 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by W70442
Don't let the concrete contractor talk you into doing a "monolithic pour". This is where they just put a form around the perimeter and pour ALL of the footer and floor at one time. Mine talked me into it saying that it made for a stronger result. BS!!!! Did I say BS!!!???
My floor cracked ALL the way around the perimeter of the garage about 4 feet from the wall after about a week.
After I saw that and thought about it, I saw why. The weight of the walls and footer are much heavier than the weight of the 4 or 5 inch thick floor. The footer is going to settle some. Unfortunately, due to the weight difference, the footer/walls will settle more than the floor causing the floor to crack.
The sales pitch about it being stronger was BS. It's just cheaper for the contractor to do it at one time because they don't have to have the concrete people come out on two seperate occasions. Once for the footer and once to pour the floor (if you do a traditional floating floor).
Congrats and Good luck,
Thant sucks . The place I work at had some additional docks , and of course the sloped slabs leading to them . The slabs themselves are all busting up on the edges just after a couple of years . These same contractors put a top coat on the blacktop parking lot to which I was not very impressed either . I thought to myself , I would never call them if I ever needed concrete work done ..... but I forgot the name of the company
Old September 18th, 2012, 09:30 AM

Nice !!! I just got Planning Board approval to build one. They ruled last week need to wait 20 days before i can pull a permit.

garage.jpg

Whats your timeline?
Old September 18th, 2012, 09:38 AM

You can never build them big enough.. You just put more stuff in them & they get smaller !!!
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:29 AM

congrats....

I hope I will be able to get a nice size garage, shop and Man Cave some day, there is no room on my property so it'll have to wait till I move LOL... I wish you all the best.
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by W70442
My old garage was 22x24 and the floor was a monolithic pour too. The contractor came out, dug tamped, watered, tamped, placed sand base, tamped. Formed everything and poured. It never cracked anywhere. I think it has more to do with proper preparation and type of concrete/reinforcement than anything else.

Sorry yours had issues, but I'm not sold that mono pouring doesn't work. Don't forget I also live in a climate that freeze thaw are common. Just as side info there is a heavy concentration of clay in our area that makes these types of pours very stable.
Old September 21st, 2012, 07:04 AM

Foundation poured yesterday and they are removing the forms as I speak. Yes the floor is separate, six inches minimum of 3000 psi.
Attached Images
Forms.JPG (143.0 KB, 169 views)
Forms 1.JPG (143.4 KB, 143 views)
Forms 2.JPG (154.2 KB, 138 views)
Old September 21st, 2012, 07:15 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Best thing I ever did was put an epoxy coating on my slab - do it before you start putting stuff in there otherwise you'll never do it..a few hundred dollars worth of paint, but well worth it.
Old September 21st, 2012, 07:23 AM

I was planning on coating it but I heard you should wait awhile. Anyone know the time frame to wait? I was checking out the Behr brand at Home Depot but I'm sure there are many others.
Old September 21st, 2012, 07:25 AM

X2 on the epoxy - mine filled too fast to get it done!
Happened to find 30" pallet racks, 24' long, cheap, that couldn't sit outside.
Old September 21st, 2012, 07:26 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

The coat time varies by manufacturer - I'd avoid the HD / Lowe's stuff - go with a Sherwin Williams or similar...far superior product for marginal cost increase.

I think if it's a moisture cure, your concrete time is not as critical.
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:10 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
Nice !!! I just got Planning Board approval to build one. They ruled last week need to wait 20 days before i can pull a permit.
That's a beautiful design. I'm guessing by the nature of the planning board requirement you live in a historic area and have to meet design criteria. Is the 20 day delay in case of appeal by neighbors or another commission?

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Foundation poured yesterday and they are removing the forms as I speak. Yes the floor is separate, six inches minimum of 3000 psi.
First time I ever saw cribbing that looks like a castle turret. I guess that building codes are different everywhere you go.
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:24 AM

I wish I didn't live in the 'burbs...I would love to have a shop. Trip, by the look of the forms I assume you are going to do some kind of stone front on the building? Its gonna look nice I'm sure
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:44 AM

I think the forms are just high depending on various designs. I'll get pics once they are gone. It's much simpler than what it looks like. No stone just vinyl siding to match the existing house.
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:55 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by Allan R
I guess that building codes are different everywhere you go.
I'm a structural engineer, and believe me, building codes are very different everywhere...but universally a huge P.I.T.A
Old September 21st, 2012, 09:06 AM

Now you can see it's much simpler. Just your basic 'Man Cave'
Attached Images
Foundation.JPG (151.2 KB, 140 views)
Foundation 1.JPG (143.4 KB, 104 views)
Foundation 2.JPG (156.5 KB, 116 views)
Old September 21st, 2012, 09:16 AM

awesome

But at the moment it is a man mound lol. But I have to say I am jealous and very happy for you looks great
Old September 21st, 2012, 09:31 AM

I was planning on coating it but I heard you should wait awhile. Anyone know the time frame to wait? I was checking out the Behr brand at Home Depot but I'm sure there are many others.

One tip that I heard with floor coatings was to not use those flakes, make it a solid color. The reason given was if you drop a small part it can be hard to find with the flakes. It looks good so far.

Please keep us posted, I'm going to enjoy this.
Old September 21st, 2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
That's a beautiful design. I'm guessing by the nature of the planning board requirement you live in a historic area and have to meet design criteria. Is the 20 day delay in case of appeal by neighbors or another commission?
Sorry didn't mean to hijack.

I'm limited to 1000 sf total garage space. I already have 600 and therefore required zoning board approval. I wanted the board to know I'm not looking for a big bland over grown shed.

Setback requirement is 40 ft so it's closer to house than I'd like. I wanted it to look nice from my kitchen and deck.

I have to wait for the appeal period to be over before I can get the actual permit. I guess it's in the event I or an abutter , all 20 something of them, wanted to challenge the boards decision.
Old September 21st, 2012, 11:04 AM

I waited 3 weeks myself Pete. Although I doubt it was the towns fault. The faster they get my tax money the better Next week I'm planning to pick up the short block and drop off the intake to get Extrude honed. Busy busy. Any word on those girdles?
Old September 22nd, 2012, 03:49 AM
NOVICE car nut

Man that is awesome , you must be stoked ! Happy for ya .
Old September 22nd, 2012, 05:31 AM

nice!

Where is the lift going?
Old September 22nd, 2012, 06:29 AM

little tip, buy yourself a nice size shed to stop from being tempted into putting stuff in the new garage that "doesn't really belong".

My garage is 36 x 24 and the 10x14 shed went up after but it's still too small. between the patio table and chairs to the lawn mower,shovels,rakes and kids bikes it fill up quick.

The garage keeps the "98", my van, Honda Valkyrie and my daily driver along w/ snow blower,MC trailer and a host of other "stuff".

I'm actually looking to get either another shed or just throw up a new one that's about 20x16...yeah almost another garage.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 06:58 AM

I get to see a lot of garages being built , they always seem to damage the phone service wire , and I get to fix/replace them as I work for VZ .
Mine is 24x26 barn style with finished 2nd floor for pool table , pin ball machines and car parts and other things piled on top of them . Added a 10x14 room to the back for a little man cave , and pored a 25x25 pad in front of it so I have a place to work on stuff (garage is full) . Next up is a car port over the pad .
Congrats on your starter garage .
Old September 27th, 2012, 09:19 AM

More progress today. They just got done putting the 'processed gravel' in. Looks more like sand or dirt to me but what do I know. Four inches of 3000 psi cement next week. It's getting there.
Attached Images
Backfill.JPG (144.9 KB, 113 views)
Backfill 1.JPG (146.0 KB, 106 views)
Gravel.JPG (138.3 KB, 113 views)
Gravel 1.JPG (154.0 KB, 89 views)
Gravel 2.JPG (143.1 KB, 86 views)
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:41 AM

More progress today. They just got done putting the 'processed gravel' in. Looks more like sand or dirt to me but what do I know. Four inches of 3000 psi cement next week. It's getting there.
As soon as they're gone make a little dam (high point) at the door openings and flood the garage area with a hose until you have a puddle. It will take are of any crappy compaction job in areas they may have missed, particularily in the outside corners where the slab will want to crack. RI is 99% sand everywhere and it can only help.....
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:48 AM

Trip that looks good...I can't wait to see the slab completed. Are you going to pour a driveway as well?
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:46 PM

We had lots of rain the past few days so I'm sure it's good and compacted. It's hard to see in the pics but there is a little dam built up right in front so it can hold water. I don't plan on putting in a concrete driveway. That's a little cost prohibitive at the moment. In fact, had it not been for my disability settlement this wouldn't have gone in as soon as it did. I do plan on extending the asphalt from the existing driveway to meet up with the garage. Once this is all done I plan to do another thread on the restoration of my 66 Cutlass convertible. I'll have some parts for sale for sure. Off the top of my head the SSIIs and the 12 bolt Chevy will be for sale if anyone is interested.
Old September 29th, 2012, 08:12 PM

If you can't manage the whole driveway in concrete, at least a concrete apron in front of the garage is worth doing. It gives you an extension in working area when the weather permits. The trouble with asphalt is jacks and jack stands will sink into hot asphalt, but concrete will let you put a car on stands outside if you need to.

Quick Reply: Garage Finally