Finally a 442 4 me

Old May 12th, 2019, 04:56 AM

I agree Troy, vinyl tops do look good on certain color combos. The first '68 442 I restored back in '79 was saffron with a black top & I loved how it looked! My buddy Brian's '70 W30 post looks just awesome with the black top over the platinum silver after Thorntons got done with it back in '13!! Right before I bought my current '68 in '12 there was another turquoise one for sale on e-pay that I almost bought. It had pretty much every option available(but it was an auto trans & I really wanted a factory stick), it had a black top that just killed it!! I like mine so much more without the vinyl top!!!

Last edited by rob1960; May 12th, 2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old May 12th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by rob1960 View Post

I agree Troy, vinyl tops do look good on certain color combos. The first '68 442 I restored back in '79 was saffron with a black top & I loved how it looked! My buddy Brian's '70 W30 post looks just awesome with the black top over the platinum silver after Thorntons got done with it back in '13!! Right before I bought my current '68 in '12 there was another turquoise one for sale on e-pay that I almost bought. It had pretty much every option available(but it was an auto trans & I really wanted a factory stick), it had a black top that just killed it!! I like mine so much more without the vinyl top!!!
Nice looking W-30! Are you going to be at the Aliance show this year. It is on my to doís for shows. I havenít had a car there since 1989. Iíve been there a couple of times the past 4-5 yrs.
Old May 13th, 2019, 06:39 AM

I plan to go to Alliance this year. I missed the last 2 yrs due to other projects,weather etc. Hope to see you there this year Troy
Old May 13th, 2019, 10:54 AM
delete

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by rob1960 View Post
Beautiful job Troy!! Great choice leaving the ugly white vinyl top off!!!
Hurtful

Just kidding. Different strokes for different folks. I was never a vinyl top guy but mine has grown on me over time. I thought about taking it off when it was painted but its in great shape & it wasn't in the budget. It did stop me from doing the wing however. I don't like wings & vinyl tops together. Too busy

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr
Old May 13th, 2019, 07:05 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Alternate speaker mounting

Starting on the interior. What is one of the important items for the interior? Music of course.

I wanted to put 6x9ís in but I didnít want to recut the 6x9 holes in the package tray, as I had it repaired at the body shop. It was really hacked up bad, when I got the car. I did not want big speaker grills in the package tray either. I had thought about using two original speaker grills with the one over the rear defroster, but still didnít like that option the best. Legendary had a perforated package tray option, when I did my interior, so I ordered one of those.

That brought up the next problem how to mount them. This is what I came up with. I bought a Piece of 10Mx24 All thread. Fender washers with 1/8 inch hole and tested my welding skills. I drilled part way though the washer to create a pocket, and welded a 2 inch long piece of all thread to it.

I gave them a quick coat of paint. Put them in the holes in the package trays, another flat washer on the bottom side with a nut to hold the stud in place. 1/2 inch speaker spacer, speaker, and the final nut to hold everything in place. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Old May 13th, 2019, 07:24 PM
JC

Here is what you can use next time, and its factory fit too.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F350568213482

I actually removed a few of those above when installing 6x9s on my car.
I didn't end up using those on my 6x9's though, ...and I also used a dremmel and with surgeon like skills lol, cut out that middle section of the speaker holes that blocks the sound a bit, but also keeping with the exact radius of the holes.

Then used a fine file to file the edges to look like it was made that way.👍

Last edited by JCMC64; May 13th, 2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old May 13th, 2019, 08:33 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by JCMC64 View Post
Here is what you can use next time, and its factory fit too.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F350568213482

I actually removed a few of those above when installing 6x9s on my car.
I didn't end up using those on my 6x9's though, ...and I also used a dremmel and with surgeon like skills lol, cut out that middle section of the speaker holes that blocks the sound a bit, but also keeping with the exact radius of the holes.

Then used a fine file to file the edges to look like it was made that way.👍
I had seen those, but they were not long enough to do what I wanted. I did not want to cut out anything. Been there, done that in the past. With the spacers the speakers do not hit the metal in the middle, and one would be hard pressed to say any sound is blocked. I purchased some Memphis 6x9ís, and they sound great! Both my son and I were very impressed with how these sounded.