Couple of general questions?

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2012, 03:31 PM

Question Couple of general questions?

It is not a major build yet but it will be when she is done... so if this needs to be in another forum let me know.
That said a few quick questions:
1 - can any of you tell me if the interior of the '65 442 was supposed to be painted an orangish color and if the black tar type stuff is factory or something a previous owner did?
2 - Extra parts I found in the trunk. Anything worth a closer photo?
3 -Can anyone tell by the number on the lock cylinder if this is an original lock to a "65 cutlass?
4 - Best for last. A good view of a faked "E" block. Being a total newbie I posted a month or so ago about the number and the "E" not matching. A poster on her told me to get a tooth brush and clean it really good, that I would find that the "E" was probably an "F" and had been altered.
Sure enough - you can see it plain as day in the photo. I lightened it and pointed to the discoloration of the new portion. It wasn't a represented to me as an "E" and I knew it was not a numbers matching motor so I am fine with it... I'll bet someone before me was fit to be tied though.

Thanks for all your help. This site is fantastic...

Todd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_6127.jpg (283.8 KB, 59 views)
DSC_6145.jpg (299.4 KB, 51 views)
DSC_6146.jpg (307.7 KB, 44 views)
DSC_6163.jpg (268.3 KB, 47 views)
F to E fake.jpg (215.5 KB, 57 views)
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:28 PM

The biggest question is what do want out of the car? A driver? an original? pro-touring? race car? If you don't know already, depending on your skill level, time dedication, space, this can be a very expensive hobby-money pit. Chances are from one picture you will most likely need floor pans, braces and trunk pan and braces. Depending on what I mentioned could cost from 1-3K. Not trying to scare you off from the hobby, there are TONS of classic cars out there sitting various stages of what the owner wanted in terms of his ride. They sit because of time, lost interest, career, new family, or it became a money pit My mother told me 40 years ago I spent WAY to much money on cars, but what do I know?? Anyway the 396021 is a very common 455 could even be a low compression smog motor, curious what is the ID on the heads? Just my 2 cents.
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:33 PM
car guy

What am I not seeing that you are Rob. What little bit of floor I see is perfect.
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:54 PM

Thank you both.
It is certainly going to be extensive in time and money... I got that part down pretty well.
I am planning on it being a driver. As to how much modification I am not certain. There will certainly be some.
The floor pans seem pretty solid to me?
Do either of you know if the orange coating is original? It is flaking off really easy but everything I see under it is in great shape. It is much thicker in some areas than others though?
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:32 PM
car guy

What you are chipping off is just the factory seam sealer. It is black. The orange is just a primer over the top of it.
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:58 AM

That black stiff is factory , looks like a good solid car to me.
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:03 AM

I guess I may need an eye exam, but where his index finger is where the seam sealer is removed looks to me like Mr. Rust had been chewing.
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:06 PM
same but different

I saw your post last night and thought that looked like factory seam sealer and primer.

Those parts you have pictured...the rockers look just like the Harland Sharps that Mondello sold for a long time. They are good pieces and can be rebuilt if needed. Part#7200. Do you have a complete set?

The Oil pan,dampner and distributors look like factory units. The spacers/gaskets look ok too...I mean, I would'nt throw them away just yet.