citcapp's 48 Olds project with 455

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM

citcapp's 48 Olds project with 455

Here are the pictures of my latest project that I am starting. This car will have a 455 with a 5-speed stick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0739.jpg (75.8 KB, 141 views)
DSCN0740.jpg (75.8 KB, 147 views)
DSCN0741.jpg (89.6 KB, 140 views)
DSCN0743.jpg (94.4 KB, 174 views)
DSCN0744.jpg (57.3 KB, 152 views)
Old December 20th, 2008, 04:06 PM

That looks like it's going to be a super neat Olds. What 5 speed is that you're using ? Do you have to use an adapter to hook it to the 455 ?
Mike
Old December 20th, 2008, 06:41 PM

The transmission is a Tremec 5-speed from classic Motorsports good for up to 600 lbs of torque. I bought the bell housiing, clutch, pressure plate. Hydraulic throw out bearing. All designed to bolt up to the Oldsmobile 455 engine. I have a steel cross drilled crank for a 4-speed car that I will install in the engine when I rebuild it so everything will mate up. The car already has a mustang front end with tube upper and lower A-arms and power rack and pinion steering. The rear end is a narrowed ford 9" with 4:11 gears. the trunk has already been tubbed and there are disc brakers all around. The engine bay is already set up for a 455. The build will be be fun to complete

Last edited by citcapp; December 20th, 2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old December 20th, 2008, 06:46 PM

Hey citcapp, can't wait to see this one done, I love that long sloping roofline awesome. Any ideas on color etc. yet? This is the car your running n.o.s. in right?
Old December 20th, 2008, 06:58 PM

Wife and I are looking at colors now. Have not made final decision yet. Yes this car will have n.o.s.
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:03 PM

Nice! gangster black with some ghost flames good thing it's got them big fenders, you'll be able to fit some big rubber under there so it'll hook up when you hit the spray
Old December 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM
car guy

very cool..glad you were able to pick it up
Old December 21st, 2008, 02:53 AM

That is going to be one BA ride! I kind of like the green on it. Is that the one you hauled from OK?
Old December 21st, 2008, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by NAS Backyard
That is going to be one BA ride! I kind of like the green on it. Is that the one you hauled from OK?
X2
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:53 AM

Yes this is the car I picked up in Oklahoma. Now if it would just warm up I could get started
Old December 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM

Now if it would just warm up I could get started
Wear a jacket and gloves and go out and work on it. Neither rain, nor sleet, nor hail.

Just kidding. Very cool car. It will be bodacious when you get it done.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Registered Luser

Thumbs up

I love big hips on a woman!...by the way, whatever you decide with the body, keep the frowning grille and the block letters. Too many people eliminate what helped make these old girls so classy IMHO!
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:52 AM
Past Administrator

Good to see you made it home with all your goodies before Christmas Pat. Guys, that tub job in the back is really well done and the car overall is very, very solid. It is going to be really cool when it is finished.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:08 AM

Just picked up refurbished Bezals and glass taillights on evil bay, there are still a few missing small parts I need to find. The air vent door and hardware that is in front of the windshield is missing and the door panels and inside rear side panels have to be found as well. I have found new glass for the side windows and windshield. The rear curved window is with the car and in good shape. I also need to find a new tilt/telescoping column and steering wheel and clutch/brake peddle assembly for a hydraulic clutch and power brakes. Any suggestions will be appricated.

I am leaving the grill and all of the Oldsmobile emblems as they are. I like the look as well.

Thanks
Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:24 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by citcapp
...The air vent door and hardware that is in front of the windshield is missing. Any suggestions will be appricated. Thanks
This thing?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:08 AM

Dan,

Yes thats the thingy I need. Just placed a bid for it. Thanks
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:05 AM

Won the thinginy on e-bay along with new tail light bezels and parking lights that fit in the front bumper guards. Now all I need is the trunk emblem/handle and I will have all of the body parts. Has anyone installed a electric door release kit? The doors have been shaved and filled so I will be installing this type system with keyless entry. The car will have door handles on the inside to comply with state law.
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Wow,

Now you really have a neat project going...

I very much like the uniqueness of that car; you HAVE to keep the frowny grille!
(In fact you should make that your avitar, hehe...)
Do you plan to keep it stock looking inside?
Door handles inside would be a nice "convenience"...

A 455 with nos? Talk about a screamer...

I wonder if i will have a project like this in the future? I do have years ahead of me...
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM

My buddy put an electric release in his charger, I can't remember the name of the kit but the install was pretty easy and it was also very reliable. He always left his vent window unlocked in case he had to reach in to open the door but I dont think it ever let him down. He had a button in the drivers side rear wheelhouse to open the door, I like the keyless feature, your car is going to so cool, can't wait to see it done.
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:58 AM

thats a cool project. Im looking forward to seeing more!
Old January 8th, 2009, 10:25 AM

I am leaving the grill, bumpers, Olds emblems on the hood and the turnk. I like the old school look. All of the other chrome side pieces are gone and the holes are filled. The original owner threw the seats away and included bucket seats when I bought the car. I am not going to use them. I am currently looking for bench seats close to the orginals to stay with the old hotrod look and feel. So far I have not had any luck finding them, but the search is on.
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Very cool car
I think it would look real nice in emerald isle green
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Update:

Picked up a set of new edelbrock heads, headbolts, roller rockers, and pushrods for the 455 build at a really good price. The Toro engine will go off to the machinist soon. I hope to keep the stock bore on the Toro engine along with the stock pistons. Also picked up new in the box front running lights (will keep the boxes for display). The part collecting only lacks seats and window glass then I will start the build.

I am considering a two tone dark forest green on the body with a cream/light green color on the hood, over the roof and down the trunk. Almost a stock color from that year only in reverse from what is was offered. What's the opinion on the colors. It will be two tone regardles
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Past Administrator

What part number are the rockers and what cam are you using? Good idea about the bore, I agree. I would have stayed standard bore but my machinist said it needed .030 over bore so... I really, really like your color scheme idea! So, will the interior be a cream color or a dark color, and will it be some original or close to original material like a tweed? Man, I am really getting excited about your car. You are really going to do it right. It will make the '46 look like a back woods hill-billy next to a Los Angeles movie star.
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:04 AM

You're not going to believe this but my next door neighbor [a Dr] had a similar color scheme on his Olds in the early 50's and I can see it parked next door in my mind.

Sounds great. Keep it up and load us with progress pics. Just like Richard's Geerhead thread.
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Dan,

The roller rockers are a kit from Mondello ARK-455 and include polylocks, studs, guide plates, and pushrods for a flat tappet cam. I have not selected a cam yet, but will go with something that makes good low end and will have a mild lope. Has to have a lope. Have not decided if I want to go with roller lifters and cam yet. If I do then I will have to get different pushrods. So many decisions makes my head hurt. I will use the mohair look for the interior in a light tan if I go green combo color. I think it would look the best.
Old January 15th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Past Administrator

More low end? you're going to have so much torque that when you stomp on it the whole car will do a barrel roll. I like the idea of mohair, not often seen today and will go well with the colors you have chosen.
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:49 AM

A Great Rocket 48 Olds.

Note from 47 Coupe, sorry I missed you. It has been awhile since I last ckecked the site. Your 48 is going to be some machine. I'm glad your keeping the < what I call the Catfish smile> grille. Gata love them Fat Fenders. Glad that you made it home safe with the 48. Washington has had some rough weather. Hope it clears some so we all can spend some time on the Beast. You have a Great plan and will be one Rolling Rocket 48. I'm in Hillsboro, Or.
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:22 AM

Thanks guys, just need to finish the disc breaks on the 57 then I can get it out of the garage to the body shop to fix the two rust areas, Then I can move the 48 in and start work.
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:47 AM
car nut farmer

That'll be nice when finished.
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:36 PM

finally got the UPS package with my edelbrock heads and roller rockers. Now if the weather would just warm up into the 40's I could start work on the engine.................................
Old February 1st, 2009, 05:38 AM

Update:

Picked up a set of new edelbrock heads, headbolts, roller rockers, and pushrods for the 455 build at a really good price. The Toro engine will go off to the machinist soon. I hope to keep the stock bore on the Toro engine along with the stock pistons. Also picked up new in the box front running lights (will keep the boxes for display). The part collecting only lacks seats and window glass then I will start the build.

I am considering a two tone dark forest green on the body with a cream/light green color on the hood, over the roof and down the trunk. Almost a stock color from that year only in reverse from what is was offered. What's the opinion on the colors. It will be two tone regardles
Mikey likes
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:01 AM

Picked up the performer intake for the 455 last friday. Now ready to start the engine build. The block will go into the machine shop in a week or so. I have collected most of the missing parts for the body except the inner rear fenders. Did not know they were missing until I tried to get the fenders to line up correctly. I bought a body book and thats when I discovered the problem. I now am on the hunt for these. New learning esperence trying to find parts for a 60 year old car. Will start the actual assembly soon as the garage is warming up +32 in there today
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:14 AM

Nice! Youll like that performer intake. Good all around intake.
Old April 9th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Registered car nut

So the weathers much better now
Old April 9th, 2009, 03:12 PM

I have collected all but a few parts. I am doing the swap to disc brakes and dual master cylinder with power brake conversion on the 57 right now as soon as it is out of the garage (week or two depending on work) i will start the assembly of the 48
Old April 9th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Ben

I have collected all but a few parts. I am doing the swap to disc brakes and dual master cylinder with power brake conversion on the 57 right now as soon as it is out of the garage (week or two depending on work) i will start the assembly of the 48
Hey Pat- Looks like you are just down the road from me- Who are you going to have do the machine work on the engine?

Sometime in the next year i'm going to have to yank out my 330 and have it gone through, prefer someone who knows oldsmobile engines.
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:43 AM

Same guy who did the build on my 455 in the 57 Olds. Jim Green's speed shop in Lynnwood. Did a great job. here is the build sheet for the work done at their shop
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Build sheet.pdf (16.4 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by citcapp; April 10th, 2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:10 PM

im excited to see the finished product of this project..i have an available volvo parts in here,,and I would like to immitate your design using that parts..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; July 20th, 2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old July 17th, 2009, 05:19 AM

Pat, aren't you done yet?? We wanna see!!

Quick Reply: citcapp's 48 Olds project with 455