brotherGood and the '69 442

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2023, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Good for Man. Car looks great. Really turned out nice. Always cool to see someone build a car as they want it. I love the color too. 👍🍻
Thanks. Provided it actually is back from the shop this week, I think the plan is that it'll go out Saturday and get the paint touched up in spots and get a full detail.

I say "if" because it was supposed to be done yesterday yet they forgot to address the 2nd reason it went in there.
Old May 21st, 2023, 11:28 AM

Haven't updated this thread in a bit evidently..

Once it came back from the shop, I was dealing with more of the same-vacuum issues and lack of power (see "school me on the 400" thread if you're a glutton for punishment). It was also still leaking transmission fluid. That Saturday, it went out for paint correction/ceramic coating and holy smokes it came out looking like an entirely different car.

When I got it back home, we addressed the transmission leak (swapped a rubber pan seal in) and so far, so good.

It went to its first car show last night, and took a top 5 overall trophy home

At this point, it's still got a good bit of work ahead. The engine needs revisiting, the front suspension needs revisiting, the brakes need attention again, but beyond that..its just little stuff like replacing the seat belt buckle covers and things of that nature.

Daunting with what still needs done, but humbling know how far it's come.
Old May 21st, 2023, 11:32 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Gorgeous car, love the colour. Sorry it still runs shitty.
Old May 21st, 2023, 01:54 PM

That looks incredible!!! WOW. You Really hit the jackpot on that car. Good Job.

Steve
Old May 21st, 2023, 02:05 PM
Banned

I can't say enough about this thread. Absolutely love the color on this car. I am a Dad of daughters and one son. That pic of your girl next to your car melts my heart. Awesome Awesome Awesome
Old May 29th, 2023, 03:05 PM

Well, as I search for someone reputable to degree this cam, I checked a box today and loaded the fam up and we took the Olds to DQ. Considering everything going on in life and with the car, checking the box and doing the one thing I wanted to do once the car could drive was easily the highlight of the last few days
Old May 29th, 2023, 04:47 PM

The wheels the stance looks awesome together....
Old May 29th, 2023, 06:46 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by 65B01Delta
The wheels the stance looks awesome together....
Yeah, but wait til you read his engine thread.
Old May 29th, 2023, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
Yeah, but wait til you read his engine thread.
lol.. no kidding.

The wheels I'm happy with, however the stance needs help. Front springs aren't indexed correctly, and for some reason it sounded like it bottomed out in the wheel well today. I've not taken a closer look yet, but when it goes out to get the fronts addressed I'll check that out too
Old May 30th, 2023, 05:17 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by brotherGood
The wheels I'm happy with, however the stance needs help. Front springs aren't indexed correctly, and for some reason it sounded like it bottomed out in the wheel well today. I've not taken a closer look yet, but when it goes out to get the fronts addressed I'll check that out too
In terms of looks and apparent ride height, it's great. A refreshing change from so many of these cars (including my own) that seem to sit low.
Old July 5th, 2023, 08:50 AM

Figured i'd just throw the update in here first..then split out into appropriate areas:

About a month or so ago now, the car went to find someone to degree the cam..only to come back without having anything done really. The issues in terms of drivability/power stemmed from A. gear, B. not being a "low end" car, C. machine shop not cutting the block like they said and therefore essentially being "over cammed" and D. the accelerator pedal is hanging up on the carpet over the trans tunnel. At this point, the only other real attention I'll be giving the engine will be a trip to the dyno to ensure its properly tuned.

I also changed the radiator cap to the appropriate PSI. That has helped my issue with it spitting coolant out of the overflow, regardless of the level. I still have a lower radiator spring to install, but that shouldn't be too hateful.

We just had our July 4th car show, a show that garners about 680 cars annually, which for our little town is huge. Other than looking like a leveled truck, this is the best this car has looked yet. It didn't win anything, but being able to show the car off and have the family want to be a part of it is better than any trophy.

I also have my short list of "to-do"s before Nationals in August. I just ordered an internal spring compressor to fix the front being up so high. Its an inch high in the nose on the drivers side, and looks visually higher than that on the passengers side. I know the drivers side is closer to being properly indexed, so while it explains why one side is higher than the other...the results will be determined shortly as to whether or not the "correct" springs are the culprit at all.

I've also gotta check my rear brakes, as they're making an odd sound. I'm hoping its just due to the mistake during a previous assembly-the shoes were installed incorrectly. Since that problem was fixed, I've noticed the noise. I may go ahead and get a new set of shoes just to have, but I don't like playing with brakes-especially when it comes to the fact this car hasn't been out of town yet.

In addition to those things, I am hoping I can get the exhaust done, and have it tuned on the dyno prior to Nats. If not, I think it's "good enough" to at least make the drive down and back once those safety & suspension things are sorted. I also need to pick up a set of rear lap belts. I see you can get them for around $60 online, so once I figure out what size I need I'll go ahead and get them ordered.

I still have an offseason list, or at least a list of things needing done prior to Nationals..but priority 1 is to make sure it is safe (and I will be safe) taking it on its first highway trip since before I got out of high school..ha!
Old July 5th, 2023, 11:39 AM
Banned

I haven't checked in on your thread for awhile. But..

Transmission leak? I have learned over my years that a lot of the time it can be the O ring on the dipstick tube.
Brakes are super simple. That will be an easy fix. Bent drum maybe? Not uncommon. You will figure it out. Love your car.

Have I mentioned ever my Love for the color on your car?
Awesome story thread etc. Can't thank you enough for sharing. 👍🍻

One of my favorite threads here for sure.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; July 5th, 2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old July 5th, 2023, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I haven't checked in on your thread for awhile. But..

Transmission leak? I have learned over my years that a lot of the time it can be the O ring on the dipstick tube.
Brakes are super simple. That will be an easy fix. Bent drum maybe? Not uncommon. You figure it out. Love your car.

Have I mentioned ever my Love for the color on your car?
Awesome story thread etc. Can't thank you enough for sharing. 👍🍻
Trans leak was the cork gasket, though every once in a while I swear I see a spot. I need to clean the garage floor (bad) though. That, or just find another box...ha!

Yeah, brakes aren't bad..its the taking off and reinstalling of the wheels that have me sideways. One wheel falls off and now you question everything 🤦‍♂️ but based on how oddly the pads were worn (once installed correctly) it wouldn't surprise me if that had anything to do with it.

Thank you, as I've mentioned the entire time..its one of those stories I grew up reading in the magazines.
Old July 5th, 2023, 11:56 AM
Banned

The love you give this car is what Oldsmobiling should be. Not just writing a check.
My first car was a 69 GTO with a vinyl top from Michigan so it was completely rusted out. I was 14 and paid 250 dollars. Loaded car so I did okay on the end.

My first Oldsmobile was a 69. White. Blue top blue bucket seat car. I Love a 68-69-70 car. Love your car and all that you have done to it.

There is a 68 442 with a factory three spoke wheel in a back yard by me that has been fenced around. I have known this car for over thirty years. Covered with a cover. Nobody knows what it is. All I can do to not go try and get it.
Old July 5th, 2023, 05:37 PM

You have come a long way with the car and it looks amazing. I hope you get it sorted out soon and just get to enloy it!

Steve
Old July 5th, 2023, 05:46 PM

Made a new discovery, though not sure how I'd not looked at it this entire time. I'm trying to sort out the length of the rear belts so that I can order some new ones. Initially, I was just planning on getting "ones that'll work" with the only requirement being the silver buckle, the GM logo, and black webbing.

Well, upon further inspection (meaning, I finally noticed it....) props to whoever swapped interiors out in this car, as they paid attention to the dates

..or at least enough to grab belts near the date, and not just a random set "that'll work" such as I was going to do. Granted, now I feel obligated to find the right ones
.ha!
Old August 13th, 2023, 12:58 PM

Alright.. quick catching up.

Since the previous post, I have tinkered with an off idle stumble to the point where I'm comfortable letting the pros do it. I have also pulled the driveshaft and addressed a leak from the weep hole, as well as fixed the rattling around from the self adjuster having fallen out.

All of this with the intention of making sure it was going to be safe to drive the 45 minus from my house to Dayton for the OCA Nats. It drove well, but toward the end (especially after shutting it down to get my registration packet) it was not very happy at all. Once I got parked, I realized just how out of my element I was.. lol. Fortunately we had the kids with us to help remind us it wasn't that big of a deal.. ha!

that concern only got ratcheted up Friday during judging, to the point where I was just thankful to have made the drive, though come to find out it was good enough for a 1st place score.

Now that it's home, I'm going to put the new seat belt in, and a few other little things to get me through till the church car show in a couple weeks. Blown away doesn't even come close to describing the award..I didn't see that coming at all. The amount of immaculate cars there made mine look like it didn't fit in.

I'm just glad that I was able to bring this car from rotting away in a barn, to scoring that high at Nats. It makes the stress/sleepless nights a bit more with it.

Last edited by brotherGood; August 17th, 2023 at 05:41 AM.
Old August 19th, 2023, 03:51 PM

CONGRATS for a job well done. It was a really great opportunity you had getting this car. I've enjoyed watching it come together. 1st place, wow!!
Steve
Old August 19th, 2023, 05:17 PM

Very cool! It has been fun tagging along with your resurrection of this car! Great work!
Old August 19th, 2023, 05:50 PM

Thanks. It has definitely been a journey. I put the first and most recent pictures together the other day and just kinda chuckled at how far it's come.

I'm just ready to get things finished up and drive the heck out of it. Lol
Old August 19th, 2023, 05:57 PM

Congratulations on the win at the OCA Nationals, a job well done on a great car!
Old August 19th, 2023, 08:23 PM
same but different

Congratulations, Its quite a journey.
Old August 20th, 2023, 05:22 AM

Congrats for winning an award at the show! You did a good job there.
Old September 19th, 2023, 07:09 PM

Alright.. so I've pretty much driven the car to and from work everyday for the past few weeks. Working on little stuff waiting for time/tools to address the cam issue & get an exhaust/tune.

I am hoping to get some interior stuff done here in the next few weeks.. such as addressing the screws from the console hitting the driveshaft (see separate thread), replacing a couple more bulbs in the gauges, reattaching some HVAC hoses, tracking down why I have no power to my mirror light (may be as simple as not plugged into the fuse box) and addressing the rear seat belts.

My hope is to knock my entire list out for spring, but its a long one and I'm not sure how much more the wife will let me spend before I'm grounded.. haha!
Old September 19th, 2023, 09:10 PM

Being well grounded may solve the various electrical items...? :-D
Old September 20th, 2023, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
Being well grounded may solve the various electrical items...? :-D
ha! this is true.

I slept on it, and I really think the mirror light simply isnt plugged in (see picture)

I've not run the wires back yet, but if it were shorted out/chewed through/whatever..I would expect to see some sort of fuse blown or something. With as little as I got under there, I didn't see anything too obvious. It just simply acts as if there's no power to it.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 03:41 AM

Nice job! Great thread and great car! What is the factory name for that color ? Im not usually a fan of reds...but thats cool _
Old September 22nd, 2023, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by 95Jeep
Nice job! Great thread and great car! What is the factory name for that color ? Im not usually a fan of reds...but thats cool _
I'm leaning strongly toward this being the "Burgundy Mist" color offered in '69. Originally, this car was Nassau Blue from the factory (as well has with a Parchment interior) but the color combination had been changed at some point. I'm guessing mid-90's based on the glove box liner date.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 08:53 AM
Banned

I have always loved your car. The way everything turned out us just awesome. Love this car. The maroon tones on an A body looks so good. I am glad that you are enjoying your car. That's what it is all about. 👍
Old September 22nd, 2023, 08:59 AM
Running On Empty

Enjoy following your thread. Nice work and congrats.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 08:59 AM

I was just curious also ... does a truly #'s matching car have to have the same paint as the vin tag ? Does look like "Burgundy Mist" ...nice colour.

Last edited by 95Jeep; September 22nd, 2023 at 09:02 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 10:42 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I was just curious also ... does a truly #'s matching car have to have the same paint as the vin tag ?
Most serious enthusiasts will say yes.

But there are hacks like me who prefer red to brown under any circumstances.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 01:29 PM

LOL... I hear ya ! lol
Old September 22nd, 2023, 01:34 PM

I was just curious also ... does a truly #'s matching car have to have the same paint as the vin tag ? Does look like "Burgundy Mist" ...nice colour.
Yeah, I think technically a true numbers matching car would have to have the same paint colors/etc. I know I'm bad about short handing it as "numbers matching" rather than explaining everytime "numbers matching drivetrain", though when discussing it in a non-forum setting (eg. in person) I definitely make sure to elaborate on that. If/when the time comes for me to sell the car, that is not something I would dare gloss over. I actually sold cars for a "living" at one point. I say "living" as I wasn't very good at it-I was too honest..ha!
Old September 22nd, 2023, 02:02 PM

Lol.. I was just curious because I've never thought about it till now and my neighbour has a 69 cutlass that is #'s matching and the original paint...and he wants to sell it to me lol
Old September 22nd, 2023, 02:48 PM

Lol.. I was just curious because I've never thought about it till now and my neighbour has a 69 cutlass that is #'s matching and the original paint...and he wants to sell it to me lol
if I ever got to the point of a full repaint..Id feel somewhat obligated to repaint it in the original color. Then again though, I'd also then need to find correct wheels, switch the interior back to the Parchment, and find the correct stainless as I was told at Nats the stainless was wrong.
Old October 24th, 2023, 10:16 AM

Not much to update here, however I have been slowly working on the offseason list. A couple of weeks ago I started swapping the screws that hold the console brackets to the floor. Driver's side went in/out fairly easily, but the passengers side was a bit more complicated (read: I had to loosen the console off the brackets). While I had the car out so I could have both doors opened, I figured that'd be a good time to get in and swap the rear seatbelt out that I'd been having issues with. I didn't realize until then that I'd never pulled the rear seatback out. Once I got it loose and moved forward the slightest bit, I was met with probably the biggest mouse nest that's been in that car. Naturally, I pulled it out, removed the nest, cleaned and got everything put back together. Didn't expect that one, but I guess I should've pulled it originally when I had the base out the first time.

Now that the car is back together, I need to mess around a bit with the console. Its vibrating ever so slightly now, but it could also be paranoia from switching to smaller screws. I did see where one looked like it had been ground on the tip ever so slightly when I took the old bolts out though. Hopefully this fixes that.

I'm working on lining up a degree wheel to both verify where the cam is currently, as well as install the new timing set (9 keyway) to ensure it is degreed properly. As much as I'm hoping it's still relatively decent out when that's finished up so I can test it-I'm getting swamped with everything other than car stuff so I'm not certain I'll have the time in the near future. Once that's done, I've got really just exhaust, AC line, and a couple minor things to address and we're pretty much as done as I'm going to get it. I'm hoping that everything can be checked off for the start of the weather getting nice next spring, as it's not looking good for 2025 as they're tearing up the road I live on and I'd rather not let the car sit in my garage for essentially a year and a half.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 02:36 AM

Quick update to the main thread...

Over the winter, the cam was degreed in, but that project is all I was really able to accomplish. Since that was finished, I've been taking notes and making finite adjustments to the tune, to help dial it in as best I can before it goes to a dyno. It is scheduled to finally have the exhaust work done next Monday, so I can't wait to check that off the list. Still have quite a bit of "small" things to do, but its doing much better than it was 3 years ago.

Here's a video I took a few weeks ago just ripping around town.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 04:37 PM

Sounds good however I was wondering if you had a shift kit installed in your turbo 400. It seems to be sliding into each gear shift.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by SY2455
Sounds good however I was wondering if you had a shift kit installed in your turbo 400. It seems to be sliding into each gear shift.
yes, one was installed upon rebuild.

Quick Reply: brotherGood and the '69 442