Body/Paint Quotes

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:26 PM

Body/Paint Quotes

Hey fellas, I have decided to make a leap forward and take my car to a shop for body work and paint prep and finally paint. I was wondering what I should expect to pay for each of these if anyone had any ideas. I got some rust repair that needs to be done (which I know is ambiguous and hard to guess cost) but basically rocker panels need some love, fenders need lower patches, trunk needs welded in and I got some wrinkles in the doors from a previous accident. How much should prep and paint work cost? I am not looking for a show car, but a better-than-new modern paintjob, most likely an OEM color from GM or something. Any thoughts or other questions I could answer to give me a good basic quote? Never done this before and I am currently trying to save up some money to get this all done in one shot. Thanks guys!
Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:37 PM
Justin

There have been a few threads on this .
It really depends on the shop and what you want and how bad the car is really . my guess would be between 6k -10k paint alone these days can range from 1000-4000 for paint alone not even on the car well this is all clear coat too

Several members have talked to a few shops and worked out deals for cheaper labor cost to work on them in there slow times . I have seen good and bad comments on this
Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:59 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jolly Green
I was wondering what I should expect to pay for each of these if anyone had any ideas.
Yeah - try the Search function, as this has been pretty much talked to death in this thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...t-painjob.html
Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:12 PM

Gotcha, my apologies. I tried the search but must not have been using the right keywords.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:44 PM
Administrator

The only suggestion I can pass on is to drive it over to a couple of shops and see what the quotes come in at. We have no idea what yours looks like nor your budget.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:54 PM

Here is some of the damage besides the rocker panels needing replaced. Already had the roof replaced. Trunk is cut out, but new panels not in place. Rear bottom of one quarter looks like it may be displaced a bit (3"). Trunk extensions will need replacing most likely and a hammer taken to the inner quarter well.
What's a good hourly rate?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0708.jpg (46.5 KB, 28 views)
100_0710.jpg (44.4 KB, 28 views)
100_0711.jpg (31.3 KB, 28 views)
Old August 3rd, 2013, 04:05 PM
Justin

I think I would try and fine good used fenders might be cheaper in the long run

Body shops here in Utah rang from 40-80 hr now there are a few classic shops that are 110-150 range
Old August 3rd, 2013, 05:02 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I might even try and find another car. From what you describe, this one needs tons of work. I bet you will be at least $25,000.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 05:26 PM

Wow, after looking at the pic's, I would look for different sheet metal or a doner car also. The shops will rake you for all of that to be done right. I do all of my own body work and paint and that would be quite a challenge to just repair the panels as is. Of course there will be more once you get into them and underneath. Good luck with your project.

Last edited by ziff396; August 4th, 2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:06 PM

Mine is in the body jail right now. The shop labor,rate,is 75.oo per hr. I had estimates from 5 k To 20 k before I settled on this shop. He fell halfway in between. The difference was he wrote me a detailed estimate of what would be included just like a collision shop would do. If he finds something not in the estimate he calls and I go over and look at the problem and there are no questions about was this included or not. Great arrangement. Now if I can just get my car back.
Old August 4th, 2013, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by ziff396
Wow, after looking at the pic's, I would look for different sheet metal or a doner car also. The shops will rake you for all of that to be done right. I do all of my own body work and paint and that would be quite a challenge to just repair the panels as is. Of course there will be more once you get into them and underneath. God luck with your project.
I actually have a lot of the panels and have the possibility of buying two perfect doors and a fender off a friend. I have the trunkpan, but need the rockers and extensions. I also have a fender patch. I am attached to this car...its a real 442 and also my first classic. Already spent more than I should but I wanna see this through.

Might just have to try and work this through myself then :/ was hoping for no more than 14K...
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:09 AM

Yes, you could save a lot of money doing a lot of the dirty work yourself. Most body shops hate working with rust. Do you have a friend that knows how to weld or someone who can give you a few pointers to learn yourself? It's not hard, and you can use some of the old junk panels to practice on. Just a thought.
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:12 AM

Well, I moved from Vegas to Tucson, with all my good bodywork friends in Vegas. I tried taking to a shop, offered them $100 JUST to VISIT my house nearby and ask them to point out what I needed to do on the car (cut versus save, etc) but they never called to make a time even though I asked for just 30 minutes. Apparently my money wasn't good enough. Any shop I have called hasn't called back. So I have been having to teach myself pretty much.