Asylum Men Coming for the Maniac! Another 67 442

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2023, 05:47 PM

Asylum Men Coming for the Maniac! Another 67 442

So I was in the right frame of mind when it comes to my 67 addiction and out of the blue fellow member A body messages me. "Hey Joe I picked up a 67 post car and maybe you are interested?" I said thanks but NO and thought man is this guy serious, he knows my addiction and this was like giving matches to a Pyro! He goes on to say yeah its a solid car, 3 speed stick with console, runs drives stops but needs attention here and there and vinyl top has been removed, paint is failing. My interest was growing and I still said no. So then he starts sending pictures. I then messaged another member here Giftman, my friend and 67 guy, hoping I could find some satisfaction if he got the car but after some thought he declined and thats when A body's bait was swallowed hook line and sinker and he reeled me in! So the Giftman and myself spent today going over the car, its solid as a rock, nice chrome and Odometer showing 62,000 miles. I love the 3 speed and console, original E block 400 and pretty much unmolested. The rear is a 323 non posi code SE Olds 12 bolt cover. Initial assessment is the quadrajet needs a rebuild and at a minimum the heads look to have been off. The dipstick tube is installed backwards, newer valve covers are not 67 era and pcv installed on the wrong side. It was told to me there was a noise in the engine, maybe a lifter tick. After we looked things over today it seems the noise is originating from the crankshaft hitting the oil pan and there is possibly the beginning of an oil leak there where the front bottom of the pan is pushed in slightly but time will tell. I will start a build thread here when I start diving into the project. I have to say its the most solid 67 project car I have ever bought. Thanks A body and Giftman 23 for feeding my addiction!

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; November 24th, 2023 at 06:01 PM. Reason: pictures
Old November 24th, 2023, 05:54 PM
Running On Empty

Pretty darn nice. The previous owner liked the car well enough to invest in red stripe radials at some point I guess, eh?
Old November 24th, 2023, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Pretty darn nice. The previous owner liked the car well enough to invest in red stripe radials at some point I guess, eh?
Yes the car has those as well as repro chambered exhaust pipes along with all new exhaust. My issue with the redlines is that they are only 205R 14 instead of the 215's
Old November 24th, 2023, 06:06 PM
Running On Empty

My 1st car purchased in 1969 (16 yrs old) was a bench seat 1967 4-4-2 at the insistence of my father who was tired of me dropping the drive shaft on our 1964 Buick Wildcat convertible family car. I haven't owned a '67 since then, but I love the '67 4-4-2. Looking forward to your build. Good Luck.
Old November 24th, 2023, 06:13 PM

Ha Ha Ha. Solid as a rock and anything needed you (we) have - you can do this one with your eyes closed and 1 hand tied behind your back!
Old November 24th, 2023, 06:27 PM
Phantom Phixer

Nice find!
It looks like it spent most of it's time in the dry southwest.
Old November 24th, 2023, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Nice find!
It looks like it spent most of it's time in the dry southwest.
I brought it to NJ from Indiana, dont know where it originally located. For sure it was garaged for a good part.
Old November 24th, 2023, 06:45 PM

Oh that's nice. You should make a no-options stripper out of it. That's got a pretty sparse cowl tag. Tinted windshield, 3 speed floor with a console, deluxe belts, and 442 trim. I think I see an AM radio.

Is the vinyl roof just blasted, or was it a two tone?

You could do a mechanical fix only and drive around shaming kids who try you on.
Old November 24th, 2023, 07:02 PM

That's a dandy Joe! It will be a real beauty by the time you're done with it.
Old November 24th, 2023, 07:02 PM

My favorite year. I’ve been looking for just the right one. Lol!
Old November 24th, 2023, 07:05 PM

If you need relief from your project let me know please. JK
Old November 24th, 2023, 09:04 PM

Nice
Looking forward to the build thread.
Old November 25th, 2023, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Oh that's nice. You should make a no-options stripper out of it. That's got a pretty sparse cowl tag. Tinted windshield, 3 speed floor with a console, deluxe belts, and 442 trim. I think I see an AM radio.

Is the vinyl roof just blasted, or was it a two tone?
Originally a black vinyl top, but I really dont like vinyl tops on post cars so someday the plan is to paint the roof a subdued white, yes just an AM radio.
Old November 25th, 2023, 04:20 AM

with that color combo, w vinyl top, once done is going to look badass! Cant wait to see finished product Joe!
Old November 25th, 2023, 04:56 AM

Its coincidental also that the Pewter car is like this one a lan O5D build, 124 cars apart.

Old November 25th, 2023, 06:09 AM

Very nice! Congrats Joe.
Old November 25th, 2023, 06:55 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Nice looking score! Looking forward to the build thread!
Old November 25th, 2023, 09:02 AM

Damn, that’s a very solid car..Doesn’t look rusty at all, which is a money save deluxe..Congrats and those 3 speed cars were just as fast as the 4 speed. Friend in high school had a 68 GTO 400, 3 speed..that car caught many by surprise including another buddies 71 boss 351 mustang. Some days the goat won, some days the boss 351..Best to you, this would make a great w30 tribute car..
Old November 25th, 2023, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Originally a black vinyl top, but I really dont like vinyl tops on post cars so someday the plan is to paint the roof a subdued white, yes just an AM radio.
I agree post cars look best with out the vinyl, Is the blue the original color?
Old November 25th, 2023, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Andy
Damn, that’s a very solid car..Doesn’t look rusty at all, which is a money save deluxe..Congrats and those 3 speed cars were just as fast as the 4 speed. Friend in high school had a 68 GTO 400, 3 speed..that car caught many by surprise including another buddies 71 boss 351 mustang. Some days the goat won, some days the boss 351..Best to you, this would make a great w30 tribute car..
Friends don't let friends clone cars.
Old November 25th, 2023, 09:48 AM

N I C E ! It is in good hands, staying tuned for the progress...
Old November 25th, 2023, 09:53 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Bernhard
Is the blue the original color?
Cowl tag demonstrates E2 (lower body color) = Midnight Blue. I suspect it's the original color it doesn't appear to have been repainted.
Old November 25th, 2023, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Cowl tag demonstrates E2 (lower body color) = Midnight Blue. I suspect it's the original color it doesn't appear to have been repainted.
I think it was painted the original color sometime in the past, weird that the flaking paint is right down to the metal.... poor prep before paint.
Old November 25th, 2023, 01:01 PM

Good score, hope you keep it dark blue.
Old November 26th, 2023, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by dragline
Good score, hope you keep it dark blue.
That is the plan when I really get into the resto, Patina is the In Thing now so when I work out the bugs will drive it around a bit.
Old November 26th, 2023, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
That is the plan when I really get into the resto, Patina is the In Thing now so when I work out the bugs will drive it around a bit.
cool piece of history. It wouldn’t take much to flash over the peeled paint with a spray bomb.. detail the rest, then add some blue rims and dog dishes..😎

The stance is exactly how they were back when new..low

Old November 27th, 2023, 05:08 PM

The only cure for the addiction is another 67 project ! Looks like a good one. Of course I like the 3 speed with that console. Also like the wheel covers with the redlines! Be following along.
Old November 29th, 2023, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by tva442
The only cure for the addiction is another 67 project ! Looks like a good one. Of course I like the 3 speed with that console. Also like the wheel covers with the redlines! Be following along.
I think you are right, am cured for the moment. The 3 speed is different for sure and people will look and think, oh its a 4speed unless they look closely. When I drive a 4spd I end up skipping 3rd gear at times....
Old November 29th, 2023, 10:02 AM

Nice score, should be fun !

Steve
Old November 29th, 2023, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
The stance is exactly how they were back when new..low
Exactly what the Giftman and myself thought.
Old November 29th, 2023, 12:37 PM

A few more picts.

Old December 4th, 2023, 07:12 AM

Hoping I can get this thread moved to the Major Build Forum, Moderators Please? But unlike my usual builds that are basically basket cases, this one will go slow and to a degree lesser. The car is really solid, no floor welding, trunk pan replacements, sheet metal replacement and the like. There is evidence of lower quarter rot repair (minor) and a patch on each side of trunk floor where the 67's typically rot. I am hoping these repairs were done correctly as they appear to be. The car is very complete with nice door panels, dash, trim, bumpers. The core support is nice, carpet ok, and headliner fair as there is one small rip rear side. What I will do is pull the front and back glass for assessment and or repair and reseal. The oil pan will come off to determine if the crank is indeed kissing the oil pan. Things that are not correct will be made right and the valve covers have already been swapped for un-dented correct ones. The exhaust is new with original style chambered and tipped tail pipes. And the exhaust manifolds are perhaps nos as they are just starting to surface rust and the heat riser valve assembly looks new. A new grill is on order as the original one has some breaks. I suspect the clutch rod thru the firewall is installed wrong as it comes thru at a steep angle. Of course the paint is shot but "patina" seems to be the in thing these days. I would have no issue driving as is with either some poverty caps on it or old school mags. I was happy to find in the trunk, among other parts, the original reverse light bracket and switch compatible with the Dearborn 3 speed trans. Plans too are to have the original 2 row radiator recored to a 3 row. Upon removing the valve covers I saw new rockers and stands pretty much confirming the heads were redone.

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; December 4th, 2023 at 07:15 AM.
Old December 6th, 2023, 07:21 PM

Caught Joe “ Knockin at my Cellar Door” 🤷‍♂️

Glad you got the car and agreed with my best assessment of it Joe. Can’t wait to follow along.
Old December 7th, 2023, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by 67abody
Caught Joe “ Knockin at my Cellar Door” 🤷‍♂️

Glad you got the car and agreed with my best assessment of it Joe. Can’t wait to follow along.
Hmmm the guilty party has surfaced! lol
Old December 7th, 2023, 05:01 PM

And it's a "Post Car" nice....
Old December 15th, 2023, 03:19 PM

Picked up the recored radiator from my local shop. That was a quick 760 dollars but they reused the original manual trans side tanks and upgraded the two row to 3 rows and the new core has maximum cooling due to improved fin design over the standard 3 row core. A local guy to me also has some 67 parts listed on craigslist. I picked up a pair of 442 tail lights since one of mine was broken and my new grill arrived from the Parts Place. I have done a few of these cars over the years and I can say prices are substantially up! I have a carb kit on order and when thats installed the plan is to swap garage spots with the Pewter car so I can get to the oil pan removal. This will be a good chance to see if the timing chain set is original, this is a good thing to check.

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; December 22nd, 2023 at 04:59 AM.
Old December 29th, 2023, 02:46 PM

Spent the day fiddling with the 442. I figured I would start the oil pan removal since I suspect the crank is touching the oil pan where it is dented.. Draining the coolant I would say it was straight Prestone.... but was happy to see a new timing chain set and fuel pump. This along with new rockers leads me to believe the engine was rebuilt or maybe wishful thinking. It looks like the front and rear seals on the intake manifold are leaking and no RTV was used, the seals wiggle.

Old December 29th, 2023, 02:52 PM

Wondered how long before you made the switch Joe 🤷‍♂️. I like, But what’s scruffy gonna drink from now?
Old December 29th, 2023, 03:28 PM

Love the 400E's and the 425's...
Old December 30th, 2023, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by 67abody
Wondered how long before you made the switch Joe 🤷‍♂️.
Ya realized couldnt do much in the house garage and so little tools there so its back in the shack where magic happens! lol

Quick Reply: Asylum Men Coming for the Maniac! Another 67 442