72 Cutlass Vert Interior Rehab

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2017, 09:25 AM

72 Cutlass Vert Interior Rehab

Hello all CO Folks,

It's been a while since I've been on the boards.. Great to be back and seeing all the great cars again.

Been very busy with kids sports and other priorities, but finally got back around to the 72 Cutlass vert. The PO painted it red and white from the original Sequoia Green color and the original saddle interior doesn't really look to good. So I am going with a white interior.

For those of you who don't recall the carhttps://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/major-builds-projects/71975-72-cutlass-convertible.html, I had to replace the entire frame due to rust, so heeding the advice of the members here, I made safety my first priority. So it has a new frame, brakes/lines all around, new fuel lines and last year had the front end done with new bushing and all the fixings. Car drives like a dream now.

Now onto the interior. I did come across some rust that I knew was there from the top of the windshield. It rusted through the black fabric on the windshield header.

I've attached pics of the rust.

I guess I have 3 options and would love any feedback from the group. Keep in mind, this is just a non matching numbers/cloned by PO weekend cruiser for Ice Cream and baseball games. It will never see the rain or weather. Just sporadic baths.

Option 1. Fiberglass Filler - Fill and sand all the holes smooth, paint with rust inhibitor and recover with the fabric. Will the rust return even though it won't see water?

Option 2. Cut and replace. Cut out infected areas's and weld in new patch pieces. Spray with rust inhibitor and cover.

Option 3 - Replace entire window frame.

Thanks for any insight and I'll try and get my updates posted.

Plans:
- Fix/replace rust spots
- Install sound deadner
- new PUI seat covers
- Paint/dye Interior part white with dash and lower kick panels in the landau black with SEM products.
- Replace bushing in passenger door.
- New windshield
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
windshield 2.JPG (85.0 KB, 54 views)
windshield3.JPG (97.5 KB, 52 views)
windshield.JPG (101.8 KB, 52 views)
Old March 17th, 2017, 10:01 AM

That looks too bad for bondo. I'm not a body man but I'm sure that area needs to be fairly strong.
Old March 27th, 2017, 01:44 PM

Gary,

Thanks for the input. I will look into getting it replaced.