'70 442 restoration shop in WI

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2011, 08:31 AM

'70 442 restoration shop in WI

Hi everyone, I'm wondering who has any info on great WI shops for restoration. I have the car in So. WI, so I can go to No. Illinois, but would prefer anywhere in WI if you know good shops. I'm not a millionaire, so cost is a consideration as obviously is quality. Thanks for the help!
-Ryan
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:26 AM

don't know them...

but there work looks good... on the web, Don't know nothing about them as I said, never dealt with them etc, just trying to help, I am sure others will chime in

http://www.musclecarrestorations.com/
Old March 1st, 2011, 01:42 PM

Thanks, any help here is greatly appreciated. I can do interior installation, wiring, suspension, and general work, but I really want someone professional to assist with bodywork, paint, and panel alignment. I don't want to screw this up, but I read too many horror stories of too little or way too much spent. I'm going to drive this and want it to look right, but I don't need numbers matching everything to make me feel good. Thoughts on where you started or suggestions help a ton. I have pictures posted in gallery. Most of my parts on hand are all all suspension, most of the interior, air con, steering, full engine(save carb and air cleaner assembly), trans, and rear end. I need to get an OAI hood, interior door panels, convertible top cover, and carpet. Everyone here has been great so far. I have my dream car, but it's a long way from being on the road...
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:49 PM

you're welcome

glad it helped, well I started a LOOOOONNNGGGG time ago, I actually had a 69 goat convertible with 4 speed, it was this ice blue color with a navy blue interior and top, had spoked hubcaps, and when i had it it had 7 inch steelies on her , it got hit by a drunk driver and back in those days they gave you blue book which was around 176.73 cents, it wasn't totaled by any means just a fender and a bumper perhaps, well that was more then the car was worth.. so they totaled it, the body shop where it was towed wouldn't sell it back for less then 1500 etc etc and waited till the storage charges equaled the book value and got the title...

Anyway built A 67 box nova with a 350 and a poor man;s lenco ( powerglide with a vega converter) sold that and bought my olds... no offense but couldn't find another goat that was even close to what I had, then like an arranged marraige i eventually fell in love with her, When I bought it it was decked out as a 442 I didn't know no better and later found out it was a rebadged cutty,

drove it everywhere, when it came to the resto, I had just finished a 72 buick skylark for my wife, that was our everyday car, drove the olds into the garage ( 94) and then got posted overseas for 4 years, came back started the resto on and off as I was doing a lot of traveling for work, then started seriously probably 2001-2002, pulled the motor, tranny etc lifted the body off the frame, and started collecting parts, mucgh like you, I redid the front suspension first, then the frame, then all the fuel lines brake lines etc and was waiting for someone to come out with 69 full rear quarters for a convertible, got fed up and bought a pair of good marks, chinese I guess, but look ok, I have done the floors already but may go back and get a repop floor pan as the ones in there were just hammered on a sand bag by hand, anyway then i sent my motor to be done, then the tranny, did the rear myself with a ton of help from Monzaz here on the forum, got my new springs, and then decided to convert to 4 wheel disc brakes, got the full kit and stainless steel hoses etc of course all the stainless lines I bought before were different LOL... so it goes.

my advice would be do it in little chunks, meaning work on the mechanicals while you can still drive it, then make sure you have all your funding in place, need parts plan on swap meets carlisle etc, or look for a parts car take what you need and piece out the rest if you have room.

and as was said by a lot of very knowledgeable folks start with the best you can it's cheaper in the long run.

I swapped in a date correct 455, c heads, etc I still have the original 350 with # 5 Heads, crank drilled for a 4 speed, and will probably hang on to it in case i sell it and someone wants an all original 69 cutlass s 4 speed posi car LOL.... not likely to see it bring big bucks at mecums or barrett/jackson....

if your having your body done, check with the guy at the shop and ask what you can do for sweat equity, meaning do your own disassembly, stripping etc. just have the folks do what your uncomfortable doing.

ok well sorry this turned into an opus and I do rattle on seems to happen more and more as i getr older.... Karaaappppp I am turning into my father.....
Old March 1st, 2011, 07:28 PM

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...thern-Illinois

Originally Posted by Jacoz70442
I'm not a millionaire, so cost is a consideration as obviously is quality. Thanks for the help!
-Ryan
Then don't come anywhere near Chicago.
Everything around here is higher cost because of the COLA

I've used Riggs Brothers who has 3 locations for interior work locally outside the city.
Not cheap by any means, but not as high as Ogden Top and Trim.
Thats the best in the entire area, but you're going to pay through the nose.

Last edited by Aceshigh; March 1st, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old March 1st, 2011, 08:14 PM

there is a body chop in Yorkville Illinois I hear is pretty darn good, they advertise in OCA and seem to be reasonably priced since they are way out of the city.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:48 AM

Thanks, I'm trying to stay a little closer. I live in the Fox Valley(south of Green Bay) and I have the car currently further south as my family has way more space and tools to do some work. I'd like to keep it somewhere in between if possible. Thanks again for the suggestions and help. I just shudder at trying to figure out how much it's going to cost me to get it back on the road. I can visualize the end product, but the check writing nightmares can keep one up at night.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:09 AM

Most shops get at least $75 per hour.

If you figure 500 hours, then it is $37,500

Better to do it yourself or buy a finished car.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:02 AM

as mentioned before, take it in chunks, from what i can see in your pictures i would say all of the sheet metal is in good condition or repairable. remember the 1970 fenders have subtle differences from the 71-72 i would keep what you have. i think the quarters are very repairable. Interior and top are going to be expensive. keep focused and take your time and it will get done
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:56 AM

I'm good with it taking some time. I've been part hunting for the better part of a year and gotten body repair and panel prep quotes. I feel really comfortable with interior installation and underhoood details(carb work, exhaust, etc.). Body panel alignment and paint are very obvious to the naked eye and I don't want to botch this. It is fun though! I built cars on the assembly line for GM while in college and remember the steps, phases, and all the details...now it's mine and the line moves a little slower
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by My442

Agreed. Unless you're going custom for a good reason.

Buyers market right now for complete cars
Definitely NOT a builders market.
Parts prices have skyrocketed & labor is NOT cheap.

Only thing I paid an interior shop to do with install my 2 front seats new upholstery and foam.
3 of the 4 pieces.....and that was $325 .....good deal IMO.

Last edited by Aceshigh; March 2nd, 2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:23 PM

Totally agree it's not a builder's market. Amazing how hard I had to work jsut to get a guy to call me back on parts for my dash. Got them, but took a lot of work. I'll put the time in to find quality parts but I'm smart enough to know that unless you've done a lot of builds or have body/paint in your work history it is better to have someone else do that. If I can have someone do good panel fixes and paint I'll be happy. Most of the rest I can do with elbow grease, the right tools, parts, and time. I'm interested to see some of the pitfalls each of you have run into so I minimize mine. Thanks again for the help, as it is greatly appreciated!
BTW, Aces-love the green!
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by My442
Shops outside of major metropolitan areas are more like $45-$55 per hour. That's why I waited have my car painted where I live now as apposed to when I lived in Boston. I did all the metal work myself and two different shops quoted me 150-200 hours to do body work and paint. The difference is one shop gave me a fixed price of $6000 (he either figured less than $45/hr or he thought he could do it in less than 150 hours) and the other gave me an "estimate" of $10,000 to do the job but he wouldn't do it fixed price. I went with the fixed price & I'm happy. It's not a show car but it came out decent.

If you want to PM me I know someone in southern WI that had a 68 442 convertible done recently. I'll pass along your info to him. I can't PM you because you don't have your account set up to accept PM's
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:50 PM

I have a friend who has a shop south of Park Rapids Mn called Anderson Customs. He does very good work and is reasonable and flexible as to what customers want. His rate is 50/hr and if he works on it for a full day he bills for about 6 hrs with his reasoning that he has to do other stuff like answer the phone, write estimates, general body shop stuff and generally gives the customer the benefit of the doubt. He has built several show quality vehicles and I know he is not a hack. I occasionally run up to help him on the weekends.
I know it's not in Sconnie but just to let you know there are places out there that are reasonable
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:48 PM

I'd be very interested in info on the info you have on the So. WI friend. Changed my options, so should be good for PM's now...must have accidentally clicked "only contacts & mods" in that box. Thanks!
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jacoz70442
I'd be very interested in info on the info you have on the So. WI friend. Changed my options, so should be good for PM's now...must have accidentally clicked "only contacts & mods" in that box. Thanks!
you now have a PM..lol
Old March 21st, 2011, 07:33 PM

Paul's Auto Appearance Restoration
950 N Rand Rd Ste 206
Wauconda, IL 60084
(847) 487-7838
Paul is a great guy and they to TOP NOTCH work. 4 years ago I had them do some minor stuff on my 442 and I was more than pleased with the work.
He had a 1970 Chevelle SS 396 in there that he was doing a frame off on. You could eat off of any part of that car. It was absolutely immaculate.
If I were to have anyone in that area work on my car it would for sure be him.