70 442 advice requested on how deep to go into rebuild

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2016, 02:55 PM

70 442 advice requested on how deep to go into rebuild

1970 442, scheduled to pull the engine & trans. for a rebuild/refresh. My goal is NOT to have a concourse car, but to have a nice Sunday driver that remains mostly original (it's ALL original now - family heirloom with build history, etc.). So.... while the engine is pulled, I'm looking for thoughts of what typically needs inspecting/replacing in an original 1970 car. Engine bay clean up is obvious. Wondering about the suspension bushings - would replacing them with polyurethane all around make it enough more highway worthy to justify the work? fuel lines? electrical? Any thoughts on what typically would be a good idea to look into are welcome!
Old April 26th, 2016, 03:40 PM

Safray,

First let me welcome you to CO. This is a great place to get advice from others that have been there, done that. That being said, the things you would want to replace to make the car safe and reliable aside from the drivetrain

1) Electrical wiring (old wiring is often deteriorated and exposing live wires to metal which can cause shorts and even fires, trust me)
2) Brakes (I would look at upgrading the brakes to front disc if the car doesn't have them already and if so just do a full overhaul; pads, shoes, cylinders and even lines)
3) Fuel lines (this could be done the same time you do the brake lines and it is a good idea. Also, any corrosion in the tank would make is a candidate to be replaced as well)
4) Suspension/steering (replace all rubber components with either OEM or poly, depending on what you prefer in the ride feel. Inspect the steering coupling "rag joint" as this is deteriorates)

You can get all the OEM wiring harnesses at American Autowire and they are very accurate. The brake and fuel lines can be bought at Inline Tube and the rest can be purchased at various sites.

Good luck and keep us posted with photos of progress.

Sean
Old April 26th, 2016, 06:25 PM

X2 on Boilerz25 recommendations as well as Mounts(motor/trans),hoses(all), rod out radiator and replace lower radiator mount rubbers , replace exhaust manifold studs while they are off. If you have overheating issues put on a FlowKooler brand water pump to end that issue. Fuel pump.
Old April 27th, 2016, 05:03 AM

Thanks guys - that's what I'm looking for. Car has disc front brakes, & I know there has been fuel line leaks in the past. I'll look at all these things when the engine is out.