68 S (442) Steering Column Dash issues

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2014, 03:07 PM

68 S (442) Steering Column Dash issues

Hey guys, I am back on the restor project after a winter hiatus. I am trying to install a steering column I received via the forum and doesn't seem to be long enough, or my dash is incorrect. Can someone look at the pics and tell me everything they see wrong???? It's a 68 S and I don't see a whole for the glovebox either. I am thinking the first builder changed the dash out!!! Please help, any suggestions? I tried putting the dash plate with guages in and the steering column is too wide for the cutout on the dash plate.
thx, Howie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20140412_174155903_HDR.jpg (101.3 KB, 122 views)
IMG_20140412_174224130_HDR.jpg (94.6 KB, 95 views)
Old April 12th, 2014, 04:08 PM

he didn't change it, he filled everything in.

gonna have to get a new dash. or try to remove all of the "custom work" and save your original.

Last edited by scr8p; April 12th, 2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old April 12th, 2014, 05:05 PM

Wow looks like removed dash then customized the frame. The pics show what the original dash frame should look like
Attached Images
image.jpg (155.6 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by Beob; April 12th, 2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old April 12th, 2014, 05:18 PM

PIA doin this from iPhone
Attached Images
image.jpg (125.5 KB, 47 views)
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:39 AM

ANYBODY have an idea what this dash is from???

It is so different from original, the custom shop must have had some plan in mind. I am at a loss. Any Ideas? thx Howie
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by scr8p

gonna have to get a new dash. or try to remove all of the "custom work" and save your original.
I bought the car with this dash installed. The custom shop went bankrupt years ago and has since left the state and went to Texas..... warrants issued if you know what I mean. ANY idea on what car this dash is from? thx, Howie
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Xlhowie
It is so different from original, the custom shop must have had some plan in mind. I am at a loss. Any Ideas? thx Howie

Maybe look at the VIN in the dash and see what it's from. If they took that much time to modify the dash maybe they just took it out of a Chevelle or something and never changed the VIN.
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:03 AM

I am not sure. If I compare it to the pic BEOB sent me, it looks significantly different. Even where the column comes out, looks way wider than his pic. I am guessing another car model. Any ideas? thx, Howie
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Maybe look at the VIN in the dash and see what it's from. If they took that much time to modify the dash maybe they just took it out of a Chevelle or something and never changed the VIN.
VIN is a 68 S, for sure. I have had it titled by DMV and they had to inspect it. But, doesn't mean the VIN wasn't re-rivited on this dash. I am hoping someone will say, hey thats a 69 chevelle or something. I have found that the rear end is out of a 69 chevelle,,,, frame possibly is newer as it has "tow holes" in it. I am stumped. Thx, Howie
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:18 AM

I am hoping someone will say, hey thats a 69 chevelle or something. I have found that the rear end is out of a 69 chevelle,,,, frame possibly is newer as it has "tow holes" in it. I am stumped. Thx, Howie

I did a quick check on Google Images and I didn't see any 68-72 dash in Chevelle or GTO that's even close
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:58 PM

you can tell it's a 68 dash, most likely the original. they just filled in the glove box door and the lower trim where the radio, gauges, ignition, and all the rest mounts to. the upper pad will probably bolt right on...... all by itself.

if i had to guess, they didn't butcher it. just welded sheet metal to it to get the desired effect they were going for. if it was removed carefully, you could probably save the dash. if you can't, go find a parts car somewhere and cut the dash out of it. i wouldn't install the whole thing though, that way you don't have to transfer vin plates around. just replace what is needed.
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:01 PM

you can tell it's a 68 dash, most likely the original. they just filled in the glove box door and the lower trim where the radio, gauges, ignition, and all the rest mounts to. the upper pad will probably bolt right on...... all by itself

I initially thought that was probably the case but at the very least they grafted a completely different lower portion to it
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:10 PM

Builder was most likely going to install aftermarket column, as offered by Flaming River
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:03 PM

Can you lay on the floor and look at back side of the dash to see what they did ?
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:50 AM

I will tomorrow and I'll try to take pics.

Originally Posted by oggie442
Can you lay on the floor and look at back side of the dash to see what they did ?
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:19 PM

site having issues uloading pics

Old April 15th, 2014, 02:24 PM

Pics under dash

OK here are pics, kinda looks like he filled in areas. I hope these pics help. I couldnt get my fat head up in there LOL. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Howie
Attached Images
dash1.jpg (55.1 KB, 141 views)
dash2.jpg (48.8 KB, 56 views)
dash3.jpg (47.8 KB, 49 views)
dash4.jpg (53.4 KB, 49 views)
dash5.jpg (89.8 KB, 51 views)
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:26 PM

more pics

OK here are pics, kinda looks like he filled in areas. I hope these pics help. I couldnt get my fat head up in there LOL. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Howie
Attached Images
dash6.jpg (84.1 KB, 45 views)
dash7.jpg (85.5 KB, 47 views)
dash8.jpg (65.9 KB, 37 views)
Old April 15th, 2014, 04:56 PM

Cut all the custom crap out and get a donor 68 dash and weld it in. You're never going to figure out what the guy building it had in mind unless you can talk to him.
Old April 15th, 2014, 05:15 PM

Here's a close up of the column area
Attached Images
image.jpg (168.8 KB, 46 views)
Old April 15th, 2014, 06:16 PM

i still think you could dissect what was done to the face of the dash and put it back to original. the top looks like it's gonna be the tough part. going by some of the welding marks, as well as the fact that the speaker grill is visible from the bottom but not the top, and with the rows of holes for the defroster, i would assume they welded sheet metal over top of the dash most likely because it was rotted across the lower windshield. the area where the wiper trans bolts to the cowl would prove that point since it's smoothed off.

no matter what you do, you will be opening up a can of worms, but something needs to be done.

where are you located?
Old April 16th, 2014, 04:51 PM

I am looking at the pic beob sent. The dash looks way different. The one he sent has a rounded bottom below the steering column. Mine is concave or recessed. It makes the steering column way too short. I am scratching my head. I may end up taking it to a custom shop that is metal workers. I'm a wrench bender and horrible with a welder. LOL
I see that there are lots of rework that was done. I wish I even knew one of the workers from the old Tampa custom shop, I'd ask them if they had a plan,,,,,
Old April 16th, 2014, 04:54 PM

i still think you could dissect what was done to the face of the dash and put it back to original. the top looks like it's gonna be the tough part. going by some of the welding marks, as well as the fact that the speaker grill is visible from the bottom but not the top, and with the rows of holes for the defroster, i would assume they welded sheet metal over top of the dash most likely because it was rotted across the lower windshield. the area where the wiper trans bolts to the cowl would prove that point since it's smoothed off.

no matter what you do, you will be opening up a can of worms, but something needs to be done.

where are you located?
I am 25 miles East of Tampa Florida, any recommendations?
Old April 16th, 2014, 05:42 PM

Will your gauge cluster still fit ?
Old April 24th, 2014, 04:54 PM

No, not even close.
Old April 24th, 2014, 06:01 PM

No, not even close.
How about your dash pad ? Does it cover all the holes ?
You could go with after market gauges like Auto meter in the holes in dash pad.
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:46 PM

I agree with allyolds68, cut everything out and install good used dash support metal putting it back to stock format. I think that will save you headaches trying to make this work. There's several members here who have parts cars with what you need.

John
Old April 25th, 2014, 05:45 AM

It all depends on how original do you want it ?
You could have someone cut it out and replace with another dash, if you can find a shop to do it. Any Street Rod Garages down There ?
How much will cost to replace the dash ? Verse a set of gauges ?
You could get Speedo, Tach, and cluster of 4 (fuel, water, oil, alt) for around $700.
It looks like it has after market wire harness any way ? (Yes ?)
Yeah you might have to drill few holes for headlight switch, wiper switch, and cut hole for heater control, and always hide radio under dash.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:48 AM

Found a dash or two!

You could have someone cut it out and replace with another dash, if you can find a shop to do it. Any Street Rod Garages down There ?
You could get Speedo, Tach, and cluster of 4 (fuel, water, oil, alt) for around $700.
Yeah you might have to drill few holes for headlight switch, wiper switch, and cut hole for heater control, and always hide radio under dash.
I found a guy local that has 100 old olds in his garage, wow, what a collection. He said I can cut out one of his dash's and keep all of it including gauges for $600. Now, this is a little beyond my expertise. Where do ya cut???? What do I cut out and do I leave overlap, or what? Anyone with experience in this? thx, Howie
Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:50 AM

It does have an aftermarket 22 circuit wiring harness. So,,,,, getting stock equipment and gauges to run with this harness may be an issue also. Man, am I stumped. I feel like the USS Enterprise,,, going where I've never gone before
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:15 AM

It's not easy to remove and you'll lively hack the whole front end trying to do it. He's taking advantage of you charging you $600. I'll bet one of the guys on here that part cars out will charge you a lot less even after they remove it and ship it to you. You're going to have to remove the plastic and pad before you start cutting. You're not going to get it out in all one piece. For that kind of money it better have a mint A/C dash pad

BTW, don't you already have the dash plastic and pad?

Last edited by allyolds68; May 2nd, 2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:55 AM

I can probably get this one fairly reasonably if it's still in the yard around me (it's from a 69). I don't know what the base of the windshield is like but I doubt you would need it unless you're going for the perfect repair

Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:17 AM

69? Is that the same?

I can probably get this one fairly reasonably if it's still in the yard around me (it's from a 69). I don't know what the base of the windshield is like but I doubt you would need it unless you're going for the perfect repair

I thought they were different. I have the plastic face plate and radio face plate, glove box door, that's it.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:21 AM

I would cut it just above the dash pad holes???
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:40 AM

If u r not good with wiring definitely get an original harness. Will save u a lot head scratching. A good used one should be fine.
Too bad u can't figure out what was done, the original frame might still be intact under all that. Any way u can find an olds guy in your area to come to your place and check it out.

Last edited by Beob; May 2nd, 2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:53 AM

68 and 69 dash metal are the same. 68 dash plastic is different than 69 because of the ignition in the dash vs the column. 69 may have an extra vent hole but I don't think so.

You have enough good dash left that I would consider just patching the correct stuff back with a donor piece. Like scr8p previously said, I think they just laid metal over the top of the dash and tacked it in to cover the upper part of the dash where the speaker area is.

I'd try to patch just below the dash pad holes where the dash pad will cover the joint

It very hard to tell what to do without seeing it in person

Last edited by allyolds68; May 2nd, 2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 12:12 PM

68 and 69 dash metal are the same. 68 dash plastic is different than 69 because of the ignition in the dash vs the column. 69 may have an extra vent hole but I don't think so.

You have enough good dash left that I would consider just patching the correct stuff back with a donor piece. Like scr8p previously said, I think they just laid metal over the top of the dash and tacked it in to cover the upper part of the dash where the speaker area is.

I'd try to patch just below the dash pad holes where the dash pad will cover the joint

It very hard to tell what to do without seeing it in person
I took the best pics I could. This guy here is an expert but I'm sure he wouldn't come out. I am realizing that the wiring harness installed is geared toward an aftermarket set of gauges. I will look at it again and see if I can just cut out the junk and re-do what I have,,,,thx, Howie
Old May 2nd, 2014, 01:48 PM

More pics

I took the best pics I could. This guy here is an expert but I'm sure he wouldn't come out. I am realizing that the wiring harness installed is geared toward an aftermarket set of gauges. I will look at it again and see if I can just cut out the junk and re-do what I have,,,,thx, Howie
Here are a couple pics from the top. Looks like I need to change out quite a bit. Does it look like they installed a certain aftermarket dash?? Vent holes are different, speaker hole is missing, small indentations on front edge by window edge missing. Maybe somebody will recognize thie dash??? fingers crossed
Attached Images
IMG_20140502_163347325.jpg (85.9 KB, 11 views)
IMG_20140502_163359556.jpg (38.2 KB, 13 views)
Old May 2nd, 2014, 01:55 PM

Here are a couple pics from the top. Looks like I need to change out quite a bit. Does it look like they installed a certain aftermarket dash?? Vent holes are different, speaker hole is missing, small indentations on front edge by window edge missing. Maybe somebody will recognize thie dash??? fingers crossed

Isn't the old dash metal right under it? I thought I saw the old speaker grates in one of the pics from underneath

Edit:

This one, upper left

Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:57 PM

Does it look like they installed a certain aftermarket dash??
No such thing that I have ever heard of. They slapped some tin on, welded it, little body filler and sprayed it. You're hoping you can just buy the rest of the pieces to bolt in, cause they "had a plan", well, unfortunately NO....

Quick Reply: 68 S (442) Steering Column Dash issues