1970 Cutlass Supreme. Performance upgrades and refresh.

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2021, 05:11 PM

1970 Cutlass Supreme. Performance upgrades and refresh.

So picked up this Cutlass last year. Didn't really go specifically to see the car but it caught my eye while I was there. Body was clean, chrome looked great, paint was in good shape, nice clear coat and the interior looked good. But it was slow and lot to be desired under the hood. Really the perfect short term project considering overall condition, money and maintenance put into it already. My buddy owns a shop and was nice enough to let me stash it there and provide guidance and help since I'm only good at tearing things apart not putting them back together. Got everything pulled out. Definitely a mess under the hood.

Quick overview of what we did since I didn't get pics of everything.

Engine -
Crane Cam (I'll have to dig up the specs - its a mild cam)
Rockers
Valve job
Lifters
Springs
Timing Chain
Intake
Carb
Push Rods
Long tube headers
New exhaust most of the way back
3.42 Gears / Posi
Shift Kit
Trans cooler
Converter
Clutch fan

Old May 17th, 2021, 05:13 PM

Started to get things cleaned up and painted.

Old May 17th, 2021, 05:16 PM

Started to disassemble the engine and get the heads done and everything back together.

Found this in the oil pan. A real mess.

Old May 17th, 2021, 05:19 PM

Mocking up and reassemble the engine and get the rear end shimmed and done.

Really wanted to keep the valve covers but they wouldn't fit with those rockers.

Old May 17th, 2021, 05:25 PM
Banned

Tell you what I love a Supreme body more and more. Black on black on black 70 Cutlass Supreme? Get out of here. Love it. Is it factory black black black car? What an awesome starting point. Me personally it would be so hard to not 455 it. I had a 70 SX. Loved that car. I will definitely be watching this post. What a great looking car. I hope to get another Cutlass Supreme one day.
Old May 17th, 2021, 05:29 PM

So everything back in except the AC which we had to really modify the brackets to accommodate the taller valve covers. Not a fan of the chrome valve covers at all. Might order another set and strip them down and paint them. Been driving it about two weeks. Really drives great but there are still some bugs to work out. Very slow trans drip, I still think timing and carb need adjusting. Wants to stall if I get stuck at a light too long with the AC on. Also doesn't want to shift into third if I really get on it hard once its warmed up... like its hitting a rev limiter until I let off the gas and then it shifts. Only happens when I floor the hell out of it.

Going forward. Strongly considering a Holley Sniper set up with their ignition and distributor. Also considering aluminum radiator with electric fans. I understand that can be controlled by the Sniper controller. Feels like I'm running a bit hot but won't know until I add in a gauge to see exactly what temp its running. I'm guessing at some point might need to go to a stronger trans, not sure. Disk brakes would be nice also, perhaps a wider tire at some point.

Overall it runs really good and should have the kinks worked out in the next month or so.

Old May 17th, 2021, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Tell you what I love a Supreme body more and more. Black on black on black 70 Cutlass Supreme? Get out of here. Love it. Is it factory black black black car? What an awesome starting point. Me personally it would be so hard to not 455 it. I had a 70 SX. Loved that car. I will definitely be watching this post. What a great looking car. I hope to get another Cutlass Supreme one day.
No its green on green on green. Black on black on black would have been awesome. I'll have some fresh pics soon when the weather gets better. I'm not a fan of the green but it did polish up real nice.
Old May 17th, 2021, 05:54 PM

Have you started the motor yet? Did you install pushrod guide plates? Pretty sure those rockers need guide plates.
Old May 17th, 2021, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by 70W-32
Have you started the motor yet? Did you install pushrod guide plates? Pretty sure those rockers need guide plates.
Yes. That was just a mock up before I got the plates. We did use guide plates.
Old May 17th, 2021, 06:25 PM
Banned

If you don't like the chrome paint them. Nothing wrong with gold Edlebrock valve covers. Rough them up first.

Your car is no trailer queen. Keep it black. Damn that car looks good. My brother had a W-31. I was always kind of jealous of the rpm's it could pull over my 455.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; May 17th, 2021 at 06:27 PM.
Old May 18th, 2021, 12:30 PM

Car and engine look really good. Just a suggestion on your valve covers; a lot of guys want to run the factory painted covers with the HS rockers. Most guys have used a spacer between the head and cover to give you another 1/8-1/4" or so.
Old May 18th, 2021, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by acavagnaro
Car and engine look really good. Just a suggestion on your valve covers; a lot of guys want to run the factory painted covers with the HS rockers. Most guys have used a spacer between the head and cover to give you another 1/8-1/4" or so.
Rocket Racing makes valve cover spacers in 3/8" and 3/4" thickness
Old May 18th, 2021, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 70W-32
Rocket Racing makes valve cover spacers in 3/8" and 3/4" thickness
I had no idea. I probably would have jumped on those. I found some brushed looking matte or unfinished ones that said “Oldsmobile” on them but they’ve been discontinued.