1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2013, 06:35 PM

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S

Hello fellow CO.com members. This is my first post. I have a "69 Cutlass that was given to me by my father for being the first in the family to graduate high school. I was beyond happy receiving this car and still am. The car runs and everything, but has been sitting for awhile because I took out the interior to try and put new interior in myself. I'm just about ready to buy the carpet, headliner, and other materials needed for installation.

The original engine needs to be rebuilt, but the car does have a 350 engine from a early 70's truck. However, I've been wanting to swap it with a LS1 engine or whatever engine you guys might recommend for this car along the process.

Me and my dad did the paint job on it ourselves. It wasn't that bad for a pair of rookies and it being done in a house garage. However, you can still tell it wasn't professionally done. I'm not sure if I want to take it get it done somewhere, or leave and be able to say we did it ourselves.

Pretty much I want fix up this whole car into one bad a** car, but I will have some questions and opened for suggestions. I'll post on other threads about specific areas and will update this one along the process.
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:48 PM

Welcome to CO, my first car was a 69 Cutlass S.I like to keep them original but put whatever engine in it that makes you happy. Any pictures?
Old June 20th, 2013, 04:58 PM

Hello ParaTrooper. Is that your first car as your picture? I've been told to keep everything original, but don't think that will end up happening. I was going to post up some pictures in this thread, but wasn't sure if there's a certain place that I have to put my pictures in.
Old June 20th, 2013, 05:50 PM

Nope not my first. First was a white Cutlass S sold it for a 74 Stingray. The car I had the best memories and missed the most was the Cutlass. Bought the 442 a few years ago.
You can put your pictures on this thread. You'll enjoy it here lots of knowledge and a great place to find parts.
Old July 1st, 2013, 04:00 PM

Thanks 501PT I will upload some of the pics I got of my car right now. This does look like a great place to help me out with my car. I'm not much of an expert, but feel like I will learn a lot on this site. I want to do as much as I can by myself so I can learn how to do it instead of taking it to someone. They all learned someway too didn't they? lol
Old July 1st, 2013, 05:06 PM

Some pics of the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Image01.jpg (212.0 KB, 61 views)
Image02.jpg (13.6 KB, 64 views)
Image03.jpg (18.9 KB, 65 views)
Old July 1st, 2013, 09:54 PM

Nice!
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:41 PM

So I haven't posted in awhile since I haven't worked on the car in awhile. Got wound up on other things, but I'm ready to get this baby going. It has been sitting for awhile. I started to tear down the Olds 350. Like I mentioned I wanted to swap it to an LS engine, but decided to rebuild the original engine instead. I'm still new to working with engines and cars in general, but have been learning a lot since tearing the engine down and watching some youtube videos. I want to work on this car myself and learn along the way instead of having a mechanic or my father have all the fun. My dad is very knowledgeable in old muscle cars, but he's not really a good teacher. lol so I try watching videos and going on different sites.

I'm going to start other threads for different areas of the cars just to be a little more organized and will post on here to talk about the overall project. I would greatly appreciate help and links to helpful resources. Got big ideas for this car.
Old May 10th, 2014, 09:02 PM

Thread on the engine rebuild
Old May 10th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Looks like a worthy project. Do you have a budget for what you have in mind? Do you want to build a mostly street cruiser or something to run on the track? Before diving in head first it may benefit you to go to a big block Olds. You have a blank slate there and at this point can go any direction.
Old May 10th, 2014, 09:29 PM

I want it to be a daily driver but with some nice power behind it and at least some decent MPG. I don't want to be filling it up every four days lol. Do you think that if I move to a big block it will affect the MPG or does MPG have nothing to do with size of the engine. I'm getting some pictures ready at this moment to post on another thread. From the outside it doesn't look to good but in the inside it doesn't look bad at all.. It did, however, have some water in the oil since it has been sitting outside uncovered for a long time.
Old May 10th, 2014, 10:49 PM

as for budget, I don't really have one. But I don't want to spend big money for parts that give little improvement. Other than that, if I feel like the improvement is worth the money then I'm ok with it. I plan to get a new intake manifold and carburetor for sure. Not sure which would be best though.

Last edited by Roger Dodger '69; May 11th, 2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old May 10th, 2014, 11:57 PM

Just posted the pics up of the engine tear down. I don't think I have come across any major problem so far, but the top(?) of one of the lifters was off and in the valley of the engine. The pushrod was still in place and didn't look too crooked, but ill have to double check.
Attached Images
image23.jpg (75.8 KB, 14 views)