1965 442 Sport Coupe Restoration

Old March 28th, 2019, 07:02 PM

1965 442 Sport Coupe Restoration

Hi All,
Figure I would start a single thread for my 65 442 resto. I had been updating my combined thread for my 64 Cutlass and the 65. Just about finished with the new trunk floor install and moving forward on the center floor cross-brace and a small section of floorpan repair. With the rain being off and on here in CA, I have had a few garage days to repair and replace some interior parts. Just finished having the seats recovered and also replaced the carpet at the bottom of the door panels. I had to make a new board for the passenger side as the cardboard had gotten wet and was pretty warped. Lucked out on the driver side, as the cardboard was just a little warped and was able to steam it back to almost flat. Once the floorpan repair is complete, I can install new carpet and the seats and start on getting the drive-train squared away. Here are a few photos.
Spo
Old March 29th, 2019, 06:34 AM

Looks sweet,is this a 4 speed car or auto?
Old March 29th, 2019, 07:40 AM

Thanks. It is a 4 speed car. Here is a link to my original thread:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...torations.html
Old March 29th, 2019, 07:54 AM

Wow very nice job on both cars.
Old March 31st, 2019, 07:39 PM

Floor brace and floorpan install

So I had a few days this weekend and the weather was nice. Was supposed to go to the GoodGuys in Pleasanton in the 64, but friends had to work. I figured I would dig into the 65 as the center floor brace and floor pan had rotted away from so many New York winters. The front and rear braces were fine and the pans look fine too. I bought a new center brace and dissected out the old one from above. Installed and welded in the new one and a donor pan I got out of a 65 my friend is cutting up. Went smooth and seamed sealed up everything after grinding back the welds. Installed the new back carpet section and cleaned the original rear seats. Installed the freshly recovered drivers seat to see how the colors matched. The PUI metallic red is a little lighter in shade, but will work. Now that she is drive-able again, I hope to get her in the big garage this next week end and finish the carpet install.

Old April 3rd, 2019, 07:35 AM

What color interior is that? Looks like a different shade than my "955" red in my '65.

Where did you get the carpet from and how do you like it?
Old April 3rd, 2019, 08:17 AM

Color for 65 interior

Looking at the 442 bro site, the 955 red was used on the Cutlass Holiday Coupes and convertible. My trim tag lists the interior as a 945 code for Cutlass sport coupes, which is what l have. The color listed by PUI is metallic red. The carpet is ACC in number 13 maroon. It was the closest I could find that matched floor and door panel carpet..
Old April 3rd, 2019, 08:23 AM

Thanks for that. When my father first got the car in '91 I remember the carpet and lower door panels being darker like the carpet you have. The dash top in my car is dark red / maroon also so the 2 tone would match.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 02:10 PM

That's a nice job. My 64 paint code I believe is CC target red.
Old April 7th, 2019, 08:02 AM

ACC Carpet Install and Door Panels

Trying to finish up the interior so I can move on to the mechanicals. Was able to get some time yesterday to work on the carpet. I used an ACC maroon carpet for an auto sedan, even though I have a 4 speed. This was based on what others had said about too much material in the hump area. It took a while but I was able to get it smoothed out pretty well. There is still more material needed over the trans hump and without a console, you cant pie section to hide. The shift boot does cover most of the extra, but very hard to get the contours right. It came out very well, with all considering.

Old April 7th, 2019, 09:15 AM

Nice job on the carpet!