1948 Olds Sedan (Model 66)

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2023, 02:19 AM

1948 Olds Sedan (Model 66)

Hi Guys, want to introduce my current project, which keeps me in the garage since 2019.
After finishing my 1934 Ford Pickup Hotrod in 2014 I had a well driving 1967 Plymout Fury VIP Coupe with a 383 Engine.
But I was always looking for another project much older this one.
So I found a 1948 Olds with no rust but with tons of missing parts: no engine/transmission, no interieur, no glass, no mouldings..
As I´m always loving challenges I started with thousands of ideas how to customize this great old car.

In another post here people helped me to identify what car it is, as additionally no VIN/Tag was anywhere to find.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 02:26 AM

Me and my best friend did dozends of changes/customizing:
- added a 1968 Chevy Inline 6 Engine with 250 CUI + a 350 GM Transmission, Engine is total new done with drilling/honing, new pistons, valves, cam, split exhaust, Offenhauser Intake, 3 BBL Holley Car, parts mainly from 12.bolt.com
- cleaned the engine bay to have a very clean look with as less as possible cable and other stuff
- if you miss the battery: will be in the trunk, hidden in the spare wheel bay

Last edited by olds-tom; February 3rd, 2023 at 02:28 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 03:27 AM

Very cool! Make sure you keep us updated.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 03:38 AM

Love the straight 6!! Very cool.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 04:46 AM
Past Administrator

I think you did more than just that. Those frame bolts look new and all the hardware as well, plus the frame is so clean. Please tell/show us more as it seems you are sandbagging on some info here, no can do, that's not nice. Please share more.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 04:48 AM

update regarding body

Some Information about the body: as no a single moulding was left I decided to close alle the holes for them; as well as the bumpers were not left I decided to user some chevy ones and customize them to follow the body very closely; this makes it nearly impossible to rechrom theme but for now I can live with colouring them in the body colour (dark grey).

Rear view with split exhaust, frenched headlights and painted bumper.

Another idea was to have a split rear window, so we used 2 different parts of metal and split in 2 parts; the glass will be used from a Karmann Ghia front and cut in 2 peaces.

Old February 3rd, 2023, 04:55 AM

regarding frame

as I like to do things perfect I decided to complete dissamble the car and start with sandblasting the frame. Every single bolt was cleaned and painted or replaced with fitting ones; every rubber, sealing is completely new!
The frame was primered with epoxy and 2 times brushed with oil based Chassis laque.
customizing for the frame was done to replace front and rear shock absorbers, to allow double exhaust through the frame and to have enough space for the GMTH350 + customized cardan shaft.

Last edited by olds-tom; February 3rd, 2023 at 04:59 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 05:11 AM

Good job! Great body style.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 07:43 PM
Past Administrator

Thanks for all the information and pictures. Regarding the frame and suspension, if I recall the late forties cars had knee action shock absorbers so no surprise that you replaced the shock absorbers with something better. This is going to be a true one-off custom job. The bumper looks good, love the frenched tail lights and the split rear window idea is very creative and unique.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 08:51 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I also like the split rear window and the frenched taillights. That paint really looks nice. Keep the posts coming.
Old February 4th, 2023, 09:03 AM

Dash Impressions

Hi Folks, thanks for reading my posts and the positive feedback.
Want to introdude my idea for a very customized dashboard; starting with the metal one from a chevy from this time period I decided to mix old and new;
found a speedometer and a fitting clock (a real mechanic one!) and mixed it with some custom Switches + some gauges for more information.
Even the glovebox and the lid for it was done in metal.
The radio is only decoration and lighted, will not install any loud speakers in this old car;
I´m happy in my other classic car as well to use Mobilphone + a bluetooth loudspeaker (Retrolook from Marshall).

Start

half way

ready inclusive the leather job

Last edited by olds-tom; February 4th, 2023 at 09:07 AM.
Old February 4th, 2023, 10:18 AM
Banned

Wow that is Awesome!!! Looks fantastic!! I love the gauges too. Super thumbs up 👍👍

One question is it difficult to register without a vin?

Last edited by no1oldsfan; February 4th, 2023 at 10:21 AM.
Old February 5th, 2023, 02:35 AM

Registration without VIN

regarding the missing VIN: I even found nothing in the area of the driver door, so I will user the title I got with the car; this austrian title is for a Chevy Fleetmaster from 1948 with a photo in it (this was common in the 60´s in Austria);
every try to persuade the german government that the title is not for the olds will not work; so unfortunately the paperwork will be for the chevy Fleetmaster with a VIN from the title I will stamp on a plate..
Old February 5th, 2023, 07:42 AM
Banned

Well at least you can get it registered. You have done great work on your car. I love seeing people give old cars love. Gives them a brand new life. Good for you. 👍