Intrigue struts

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2008, 05:29 AM

Intrigue struts

1998 Intrigue with 108k miles looks like it needs rear struts. One side is visually leaking and the car just doesn't handle like it used to. Since I've only changed shocks on my older cars, what kind of work is this? Can I do it with standard hand tools? Will the car need a 4 wheel alignment afterward? What are the cost of struts? Or should I just bring it to my trusty mechanic and take out a 2nd mortgage
Thanks!
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by olds68
1998 Intrigue with 108k miles looks like it needs rear struts. One side is visually leaking and the car just doesn't handle like it used to. Since I've only changed shocks on my older cars, what kind of work is this? Can I do it with standard hand tools? Will the car need a 4 wheel alignment afterward? What are the cost of struts? Or should I just bring it to my trusty mechanic and take out a 2nd mortgage
Thanks!
Not that hard to do. You will need a spring compressor. Some auto part stores will loan the tool you need. Harbor freight have some cheapies that will work (buy two sets so they don't strip on you though). You will have a oval hole with the main bolt or bolts are towards the bottom and take note their position and if the car was not alighned when the struts were shot your alighnment should be ok.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 10:39 AM

Not that hard to do.
I agree. You can even sometimes buy quick struts so you don't have to take the spring off and move it to the new strut. Of course, these are more expensive. I suggest you buy the normal struts and rent a compressor to use the old springs. Don't forget to buy new strut bushings that go in between the strut and body of the car.
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Not that bad to change them. I just did the back ones.
I had to go to the dealer for the spings.(mine broke)
But with the spring compressor it was pretty easy.
I do think you cam find the front one allready assembled.
Old December 20th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Just A BaBy {:

I just got an 98 as well,with about 130.xxx an i will be changing the rear shocks,
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

I just had mine done on my 99..........thought about doing it myself but i really dont like to mess with compressed springs that can kill you if something goes wrong....
$318 out the door.......New struts,Bushings etc.........Your suppossed to to a 4 wheel alignment but I told him to eyeball it till I get the front ones done......

me personally it not worth the blood sweat and in my case tears involved with messing with struts on a newer car.......The front struts the shop i went to dreaded changing those but luckly they still have a few miles to go on them.......

i got 183,XXX miles out of the originals.......Dont know if you have a place called http://www.farmandfleet.com/ but thats were I went and it was the cheapest in town.
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:04 AM

Actually, I was ashamed to reply to this thread earlier because I finally brought it into a garage to be done. Glad I did as the cost was not that bad and I have piece of mind now.
The Intrigue handles like it new again with over 120k now.
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Mine needed replacement last year. Midas wanted $1800 including the struts. I asked them what struts they were going to use. They said Monroe Gas-matics. I went to a discount auto warehouse and bought the same for $400. A buddy and I did them, borrowed a spring compressor from an auto parts store ($0) . Drives like new. When I asked Midas why such a difference in price, he said I probably bought cheap struts from Asia. When I showed him the box for the Monroe gas-matic he stammered to say something. Funny how he 'dised Asia, he, or his ancestors were from south Asia. Spent the savings on a new roof for my garage....did that too..... never again. Saved big time last summer.
Old June 14th, 2010, 03:24 PM

I replaced all four struts on my Intrigue with Monroe-matics purchased off E-bay for about
$75/pair. Had them installed for $200 by a mechanic who was practically begging for work last
year when the economy tanked. Then got new tires all around and a four wheel alignment
from the local NTB (who were also hurting for business.)

Total cost: about $875 (including three free oil changes from NTB)

It's almost like driving a new car.
Old July 19th, 2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by easytobedead
I just got an 98 as well,with about 130.xxx an i will be changing the rear shocks,
i also use a 130 for my 98,,it works well..Its not that bad to change them. its as easy as changing Brake Disc..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; July 19th, 2010 at 07:38 PM.