Door disassembly and mirror mounting access

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2011, 05:31 PM

Door disassembly and mirror mounting access

'75 Cutlass Salon. Long story short, I need to open up the door and get at the mounting locations for the mirrors. I have to move where they are located on the door just a bit (they have to stick out about 1 less centimeter so they are not the widest part of the car.) Any tips on how to start tearing into the door with out harming the otherwise pristine interior of this Cutlass?
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:19 PM

Pick up an interior trim tool kit, they are cheap and will make the job a breeze also it will keep the retainer clip on the winow crank from sooting out and never being seen again
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I am not familiar with that exact car (too darn new ), but, in general:
  • Open window,
  • Unscrew lock button,
  • Pop off window crank clip (MUCH easier with correct flat tool), and possibly door handle clip (depending on model and construction),
  • Gently pull off window crank and associated plastic trim washer and, sometimes, spring,
  • Remove large horizontal Phillips screws fastening armrest base to door (if so equipped),
  • Remove small vertical Phillips screws in finger-grab well of armrest (if so equipped),
  • Remove one or more small chrome Phillips head screws holding door panel to door,
  • Use screwdriver or fancy tool to gently pop out a whole bunch of clips along the bottom of the door panel,
  • Pull door panel gently toward you and then lift upward, over lock button.

- Eric
Old July 28th, 2011, 04:34 PM

Passed inspection!

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post305637

About the door panels, I was actually able to get at the two nuts holding the mirrors on by just removing the top portion of the inside door panel (I didn't know it had two halves.) One screw at each end of the top door panel, one much bigger screw under each metal "button" that secures the ends of the pocket, and unscrewed the lock ****. Lift up and bam! Easy access. I was able to just loosen the nuts and give the mirror enough play to slide some foam rubber under the outside part of the mirror mount and tighten it back down. This in effect cambered the mirror in enough to pass.

Thanks for the help!