70 Cutlass manual console looks like ???

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2010 | 11:04 AM

70 Cutlass manual console looks like ???

What does the 70 manual console look like ??
I'm going to a manual in my car, so I'm going to sell my mint condition console.
I'm just not sure if I want to replace it with a manual console or leave it empty.

Anyone got any pics they can post of what they look like ???
Old September 18th, 2010 | 11:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
What does the 70 manual console look like ??
I'm going to a manual in my car, so I'm going to sell my mint condition console.
I'm just not sure if I want to replace it with a manual console or leave it empty.

Anyone got any pics they can post of what they look like ???
It looks just like the automatic console for 1970-72. The M/T version uses an adapter that fits over the top and holds the shifter boot. The woodgrain inserts are different because of this. As with the dual gate, the console is scored on the underside for the necessary cutout to use it as an M/T console.
Old September 18th, 2010 | 10:50 PM

And....you can buy all the parts to make the conversion on the console from The Parts Place.

So DON'T SELL YOUR NICE CONSOLE!!!!

Of course, this all assumes you are using a shifter/trans setup that has everything (like the shifter) in the stock location.
Old September 20th, 2010 | 12:37 AM

http://www.protoyzinc.com/product.cfm?id=12

Finally found a picture.
I've seen one of these @ The Parts Place.
I had no idea it was an Olds console tho. They are definitely different.

It's not the same console. 90% similar, but that shifter boot section
is wider then then the narrow sections in front and behind like the Auto
Consoles use the entire length.

Originally Posted by 70Post
And....you can buy all the parts to make the conversion on the console from The Parts Place.

So DON'T SELL YOUR NICE CONSOLE!!!!
I can't possibly see a conversion being possible without hacking the center
of the auto console to open it up more. I'd rather sell it and have no console
then do that. Besides, I really don't know where the shifter will end up yet
for the transmission I'm going to be using. Borg Warner T-56 6-Speed.

The parts place is where I normally go since it's 45 mins from my house.

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 20th, 2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old September 20th, 2010 | 10:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
It's not the same console. 90% similar, but that shifter boot section is wider then then the narrow sections in front and behind like the Auto Consoles use the entire length.
It is 100% the same console. The score marks are on the underside for exactly these cutouts. The adapter that fits over the top and holds the boot also covers the cutouts that go past the sides of the center portion. Note the part in the left of this photo.

I can't possibly see a conversion being possible without hacking the center of the auto console to open it up more. I'd rather sell it and have no console then do that.
That is exactly how the factory did it. The same molded piece of plastic was used for the console on all three configurations - A/T, Dual Gate, and M/T. It's well documented in the CSM.

Besides, I really don't know where the shifter will end up yet for the transmission I'm going to be using.
That's a whole different problem. You've obviously got three choices on shifter location on the T56, but whether any one of them is in the right place is a question that can only be answered with a mockup of the installation. Since the console is tapered, the four speed adapter shown above only fits in one location. You cannot easily move it forward and backward to fit the shifter location.
Old September 20th, 2010 | 05:58 PM

Okay, so it IS the same console.

So I have to do some cutouts on my existing auto console to adapt those pieces in is what you're saying. That makes sense. I just couldn't see it being a drop on top and go sort of thing.

Thanks for da info. Guess I'm not doing anything til spring anyways.
Old September 20th, 2010 | 08:33 PM

I have a 4 speed console question. I ran across a craigslist ad for a 4 speed console out of a 72. He makes a point of stating that it has the correct grayed-out rear lens unlike the white lens in the automatic console. First time I have ever heard this but I am learning new things about these cars everyday. I was hoping Joe or another expert could weigh in. Thanks guys.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/1964503246.html
Old September 21st, 2010 | 08:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 6inarow
I have a 4 speed console question. I ran across a craigslist ad for a 4 speed console out of a 72. He makes a point of stating that it has the correct grayed-out rear lens unlike the white lens in the automatic console. First time I have ever heard this but I am learning new things about these cars everyday. I was hoping Joe or another expert could weigh in. Thanks guys.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/1964503246.html
I believe that's correct. The manual trans console did not have functioning lights since there was no need to run a harness in the M/T console (no NSS, no gear indicator light.)
Old September 21st, 2010 | 08:15 AM

Hurst used to offer different handles for different applications on the 4-speed linkage.
Might check-out different handles on the T-56 to put it where you need it!