removing back seat

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2006, 08:03 PM

removing back seat

Any tips or tricks for removing back seat in a '72 Cutlass? Need to know for reupholstery job.
Thanks, Chumley
Old November 10th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Past Administrator

I posted an answer yesterday but guess it didn't take, someone added a modem on our company's local network which was fighting for control of the internet access and we kept getting bumped, anyway....

Two steps and the first one is the hardest. First the bottome cushion, it is secured by hooks located in the floorboard that face backward and a frame rail in the cushion( about 3/8 inch rod actually) that runs transversally to the car is "captured" in place by it, this in turn holds the cushion down. What you have to do is put the heel of your hand against the frame portion of the bottom seat cushion about midway between the middle and one edge (either side first) and push back hard to dis-engage the rail from the hook. You have to push hard and it might take more than one try. You will know when it dis-engages because the seat cushion will appear loose on that side. Then do the same thing on the other side. Once both sides are loose, lift the front of the cushion up and slide the back portion of the cushion toward the front of the car as it is captured under the lower most part of the back cushion. You can then remove it completely from the car but be careful and don't rip the headliner with it! Next the back cushion, if you look closely at the bottom end of the cushion you will see one bolt on either side which is screwed into the vertical partition between the passenger compartment and the trunk. Just remove each bolt. Then grasp the lower part of the back cushion with each hand as you are kneeling in the car where the bottom cushion used to be and pull straight up. Be careful and/or wear gloves or you might scrape your knuckles! The top frame rail (again actually a round rod) is secured by upward facing hooks similar to the ones that held the front of the bottom cushion in place. Then you can remove the top cushion. Again, be careful for the headliner. Once you have done it and can see the bare metal and the hooks it all makes perfect sense and you will be able to do it over and over again, sort of like riding a bike. Hope this helps, almost all GM rear seats in the seventies and probably the eighties are secured this way.
Old November 10th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Thanks Dan, I knew there had to be something quirky like that for removal of the seat. Will give it a shot(after I replace my battery cables, which I'm sure willl pre-scrape up my knuckles)
Chumley