Cutting carpet to hide seat tracks

Old May 17th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Ben

Thumbs up Cutting carpet to hide seat tracks

There is a sticky thread over on Team chevelle about this...
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236734

The factory cut the carpets in our cars a certain way to hide the seat track feet- But 99% of cars out there have this done incorrectly now after carpets have been replaced and just by pulling and then re-installing the seat over the top of the carpet.

When i went to pull my bucket seats i realized that my car still had the original carpet in it with these cool cuts, so after i got it all out out i took some pics, then replicated the cuts in the new carpet.

1st.. Photo of my cars original carpet, with the seat track cuts in it.
I highlighted the cuts in red. Green dots are the locations of the studs or bolts.
factory-carpet-cuts1.jpg

Closeup of the result, hidden seat track foot.
factory-carpet-cuts2.jpg

And cause i'm proud of myself, full shot showing my newly recovered seats, and the new carpet.
factory-carpet-cuts3.jpg

Sure looks better than an ugly metal track foot sitting ontop of the carpet! :yes:

Hope this helps some folks here too!
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:26 AM

Smile Floored

Nice job Rambow thats about the same way I do mine, took me about twelve hours to do my wife's carpet and put the interior back in!!
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:18 AM

Awesome job! Pat yourself on the back a few times...
Yes I went through this same thing when i did my carpet. Of course I had to add extra jute to make it sit right.
The right cutting at the seat legs is a perfect finishing detail, and I think i had also made a thread here about that early this year.

So what's next??
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Ben

Back to crusing & tuning... this last three weeks of downtime has been too much for me.

I have have a Holley 650dp sitting on my workbench that needs to be rebuilt before i slap it on, and i still need to figure out what the timing on this thing is doing... I plan to take it to the track once or twice this year in its current form with the 330/3spd/3.23 gears, but i want it to be performing the best it can.

BTW... I have used ACC carpets in the past and had the same bulging problems that had to be filled using extra jute also...

This time, i got the carpet from TRIM PARTS, which bought up the only competitor to ACC, Detrioit Carpet a couple years back.

This carpet fit 100% better than the ACC ones. It does not float over the tranny hump, there was tons of extra material front, rear & sides, the moldin in 4spd hump even fell where right over the hump!

If ordering another carpet set, i would forget ACC and try trim parts next time!
Old January 9th, 2018, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Nice job Rambow thats about the same way I do mine, took me about twelve hours to do my wife's carpet and put the interior back in!!
Thanks very much for the illustration. Makes great sense now.
Wayne