Need help with 1968 442 firewall pad install

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2018, 08:10 AM

Need help with 1968 442 firewall pad install

Hi Everyine I need help with a new firewall pad install that I am doing in a 1968 no a/c 442. Trying to install a new pad and have no old pad to reference. I知 looking for any pictures of under the dash showing firewall especially around the brake and clutch pedal area so I can get an idea of how it is installed around the steering column area. Also, I know there should be a lip at the bottom of the pad where there is no backing and the carpet should tuck under the rubber of the pad. My replacement pad has no lip. I was going to remove some of the backing on the lower edge to create a lip but don稚 know how big of a lip it is 1 inch to 1 1/2 or so I believe if any one could measure. I知 also not sure if the lip on the bottom extends all the way across the bottom of the pad or not. Hoping someone can help me out. Thanks!!!
Old September 15th, 2018, 09:37 PM

There is not really any "lip" along the bottom of the pads on the originals...or at most 1/8" or so. Doesn't look like it was very intentional as it's not enough of an overhang to hide much of the underlying jute material.

In any event, the carpet goes up much further than that under the pad. Don't trim the carpet too short...it may shrink slightly over time so you don't want to cut if too close and end up with an exposed edge later on.

Original pads ('70-72 at least) had a "separate" piece that installed around the column. I say "separate" in quotes because I think this piece still may have been attached, PARTIALLY, to the rest of the pad....but seems to have been partially cut out as well.

This "separate" piece has a vertical slit under the column to allow it to slip over the column tube.

Last edited by 70Post; September 15th, 2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old September 16th, 2018, 03:06 AM

My '68 definitely has a "lip" that the carpet can tuck under. You can see the molded lip in the pic I put up,the carpet tucks under it nicely. Mine is an a/c car though which takes a different pad . I've read other posts here about the repop firewall pads from some vendors fitting like crap,things like holes not lining up,being thinner than the factory ones,etc. I seem to remember someone saying Fusicks pad fit well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds 442 winter 2012-13 007.jpg (465.4 KB, 38 views)
Old September 16th, 2018, 06:21 AM

Thanks 70post and rob1960!

I think I have the passenger side pretty much figured out besides how big the lip is. If someone could measure the lip of the lip that would be great. It痴 the drivers side that I知 have the most struggles with. It looks like there is still a lip until the end of the plastic piece that bolts around the steering wheel and then maybe no more lip - I知 not sure. If anyone could send a good picture of the drivers side of the firewall pad showing how it is placed around all the pedal steering wheel etc that would be helpful as well. Thanks Tim.
Old September 16th, 2018, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by rob1960
My '68 definitely has a "lip" that the carpet can tuck under. You can see the molded lip in the pic I put up,the carpet tucks under it nicely. Mine is an a/c car though which takes a different pad . I've read other posts here about the repop firewall pads from some vendors fitting like crap,things like holes not lining up,being thinner than the factory ones,etc. I seem to remember someone saying Fusicks pad fit well.
The OP referred to the lip as being an area with "no backing" under the black rubberized surface....your's still has the backing in place in that area as does mine. BUT.....I see what you mean with the formed overall lip where the pad and backing material is raised.

Most of the repro pads are not molded. I believe Ames Performance (Pontiac repro stuff) sells a "molded pad" but haven't had my hands on one yet.

Old September 16th, 2018, 07:02 PM

Here is what I have done so far. Still trying to figure out some things. I purchased the firewall pad from Fusick. Like I have said I don稚 have my original pad to compare to the pad. I am pretty sure that I do remember though that it had a lip at the bottom whee it was just only the rubber part and the carpet would slide under it. I知 guessed and cut 1 1/2 inch of the jute backing from the lower part of the pad. The pad seems to be overall the correct width just didn稚 have the jute backing cut out for the lip. Still would like to get a clear picture of the driver side showing how the pad is installed around the steering wheel, pedals, speedo cable, and wires. Thanks for everyone help.

Tim Not sure about the extra extended part which would be right below the accelerator pedal???

Old September 17th, 2018, 05:45 AM

Tim, Here's a pic of the pedal area,your Fusick pad looks correct,the lip ends at the plastic column cover. I put up some pics of my car for you. I added lots of incorrect "stuff" to it but it's all bolt on & can be changed back easily(except the rear wing of course) Got a ton of things done on it this year, redid the a/c(went back to R12) new front seat covers,all new body mounts, new front bumper & on & on. I started a thread earlier in the "major builds & projects forum" but nobody cared!!!
Attached Images
DCP_5896.JPG (608.3 KB, 18 views)
DCP_5898.JPG (436.7 KB, 19 views)
DCP_5899.JPG (467.9 KB, 15 views)
DCP_5900.JPG (536.9 KB, 19 views)
Old September 17th, 2018, 08:10 PM

Thanks Rib1060 for your help. I feel better about finishing up my firewall pad installation. You have a great looking car!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures of it.
Old September 17th, 2018, 08:16 PM

Thanks rob1960 sorry I don稚 type well on the phone!!!
Old September 19th, 2018, 05:26 AM

I知 still struggling with this firewall pad install in my 1968 Cutlass. Can anyone tell me over under the drivers side by the main fuse block area does the firewall pad go under or over the wiring? Thanks!