Headliner for 1980-85 Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2017, 06:25 PM

Headliner for 1980-85 Delta 88

Wondering if anyone makes a headliner for my 1983 Delta 88. I'm finally taking some time to look at it again and one of the first things on my list is to replace the headliner.

If not, I'll look at a local shop.
Old July 29th, 2017, 05:06 AM

Maybe I'm thinking wrong ,but don't that model have the foam backed cloth,that you take the headliner board out and scrape off the old foam, then spray glue the board and install the new material to the glued board. If so the material is sold by the yard at many cloth shops and online.If so you will need about 2&1/2 yards of material in the correct color. Get you some 3M spray glue just made for headliners. Probably take 2 cans,that's a big car.
Good luck ,Larry
Old July 29th, 2017, 07:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Maybe I'm thinking wrong ,but don't that model have the foam backed cloth,that you take the headliner board out and scrape off the old foam, then spray glue the board and install the new material to the glued board. If so the material is sold by the yard at many cloth shops and online.If so you will need about 2&1/2 yards of material in the correct color. Get you some 3M spray glue just made for headliners. Probably take 2 cans,that's a big car.
Good luck ,Larry
Correct. Unfortunately, the one-piece headliner board only fits through the windshield opening, so the glass needs to come out first. Bending it to force it through a door will not end well.
Old July 29th, 2017, 04:48 PM

It can be removed through the passenger door ,but you must work it underneath the steering wheel. We had a guy that came by our car lot every Thursday and reupholstered them in our shop for several years , and he never removed a windshield. I'm not saying that I could do it without damage to the board, but he could. Larry
Old July 29th, 2017, 04:58 PM
Olds Fever

I have removed them through the passenger door... But I did remove the front seat as well...
Old July 29th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
I have removed them through the passenger door... But I did remove the front seat as well...
On a 2dr or a 4dr? I need to redo the headliner in my wife's 85 D88 4dr and I don't think it's coming out the passenger door, front or back.
Old July 29th, 2017, 06:05 PM
Olds Fever

I was referring to a 2-DR... I thought the OP's 88 was a 2-DR, but looking closer at his photo that's not the case... I guess a four door might be a tight squeeze, never tried it... I would definitely be doing a lot of measuring and calculating before I removed the windshield, but better yet, I would just ask my local Upholstery Shop I have done business with in the past and get his professional advice...
Old July 29th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
I was referring to a 2-DR... I thought the OP's 88 was a 2-DR, but looking closer at his photo that's not the case... I guess a four door might be a tight squeeze, never tried it... I would definitely be doing a lot of measuring and calculating before I removed the windshield, but better yet, I would just ask my local Upholstery Shop I have done business with in the past and get his professional advice...
It actually isn't that difficult to pull the windshield. I've got the trim removal tool and the cutter tool for the urethane.
Old July 29th, 2017, 08:51 PM

Thanks for all the info. Yes mine is a 4-door. Looks like I'll be consulting a local upholstery shop about the headliner.
Old July 30th, 2017, 05:14 AM

This guy I am referring to did nothing else but replace headliners 6 days a week. He stocked material of all colors in his pickup, and he lived 75 miles from my place but came every week.
He has come into my shop at at 2PM ,do three headliners and we closed at 6PM.Full sized 4 Door cars were a big part of our sales ,so I'm sure he did those. There's a knack to doing some things ,and that must have been his. Larry
Old July 30th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It actually isn't that difficult to pull the windshield. I've got the trim removal tool and the cutter tool for the urethane.
That's true... I also have the tooling to remove windshields... BUT, there is that slight concern of chipping or cracking the glass... Remember good old Murphy...