'70 code help

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Trying to remember member

'70 code help

Trying to find some more obscure info:
1. What is the "Y68 Appearance Pkg". Found on GM Canada documentation of at least 2 W-31s.
2. Trim code "Z". Found as a prefix to interior trim codes on at least some '70 W-30s and W-31s. Like "Z930"
Yes,1 and 2 may be related.

TIA
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Oldsdruid

Kurt, the closest I can get is in 1965-66, Y68 was "deluxe chrome exterior moldings".

1967-68 it was "chrome side and wheel opening moldings". It disappears in my 1974 parts book after that. It may have been a Canada-only thing after 1968. Were these W31s F85 based? might explain the need for extra trim holes.

That "Z930" question came up somewhere else, maybe on ROP, and I don't think anyone could answer it there either. 930 is a black vinyl Strato-bucket interior in 1970, for Cutlass/442 Sports and Holiday coupes. I'm bound to think there's someone who worked at Fisher back then who can answer it.

I had some communication a while back from a Chevelle owner who was trying to document use of Olds interior patterns in Chevelles, and turns out the Olds code matched his Chevrolet data plate. Seems this might have been going on during the 1968 strike.
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Fisher code for export body?

Originally Posted by wmachine
Trying to find some more obscure info:
1. What is the "Y68 Appearance Pkg". Found on GM Canada documentation of at least 2 W-31s.
2. Trim code "Z". Found as a prefix to interior trim codes on at least some '70 W-30s and W-31s. Like "Z930"
Yes,1 and 2 may be related.

TIA

Please review attached photo of my Canadian 70 Pace Car.
I have seen the "Z" on most Canadian 1970 Olds products. I have seen it even on a 1970 Canadian Toronado. Last year I purchased a U.S. sold 1970 W30. I have all the paper work on this car from day one I have found the broadcast card that also has the "Z" but I have not looked for the buildsheet that probably does not exist. My theory is the "Z" is a Fisher code for export body but due to lower than anticipated export demand these "Z" bodies were also used for U.S. sold production. My 72 Cutlass Supreme (Canadian car) did not have the "Z" on the cowl tag but on the GM of Canada export document it had something like Z49 for Canadian option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Canadian - Z .JPG (79.8 KB, 54 views)
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:59 PM

my dad had a 70 W-30 that was sold in greencastle indiana that had the Z. i was told that it was on cars that were ordered with "other than normal" options. i have no idea if it is true but our W-30 was sebring yellow with light blue stripes and interior. it was also loaded with options. A/C, pw, pl, rear window defrost, ps,tw,pt. the only thing it did not have was cc. we had the build sheet, i think we made a copy. i will look if it will help someone doing research.
Old August 5th, 2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
my dad had a 70 W-30 that was sold in greencastle indiana that had the Z. i was told that it was on cars that were ordered with "other than normal" options. i have no idea if it is true but our W-30 was sebring yellow with light blue stripes and interior. it was also loaded with options. A/C, pw, pl, rear window defrost, ps,tw,pt. the only thing it did not have was cc. we had the build sheet, i think we made a copy. i will look if it will help someone doing research.
If you find it please let me know.
Thanks
Old August 6th, 2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedeb
I have seen the "Z" on most Canadian 1970 Olds products. I have seen it even on a 1970 Canadian Toronado. Last year I purchased a U.S. sold 1970 W30. I have all the paper work on this car from day one I have found the broadcast card that also has the "Z" but I have not looked for the buildsheet that probably does not exist. My theory is the "Z" is a Fisher code for export body but due to lower than anticipated export demand these "Z" bodies were also used for U.S. sold production. My 72 Cutlass Supreme (Canadian car) did not have the "Z" on the cowl tag but on the GM of Canada export document it had something like Z49 for Canadian option.
Thanks, Bustedeb. That is a very compelling argument and is worth more exploration. Some info, like it being on a Toronado too, certainly broadens the scope.
Okay, next logical question perusing this path is "what makes a body an export body"? Interesting, as most export detail I can recall is engine and chassis related.

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i was told that it was on cars that were ordered with "other than normal" options. i have no idea if it is true but.....
Because the Z is specifically data plate info, I think the "other than normal options" is far too broad to be the answer here. I can't even imagine why "other than normal options" would even be noted other than specifically.
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:10 PM

I love this thread. I've been looking for an answer to this question (as Kurt, Mr. Padavano, & others ) can attest to for a loooong time.

My trim tag looks just like Bustedeb's with the exception of the interior code (Z930 vs Z970).

I have seen this code on non W 442's as well so it is not a "W" thing. I don't know about the 'intended for export' theory though. My car was built to order with virtually no comfort options. No p/s, p/b, in a 4 spd car. And an uncomplimentary color combo of Twilight Blue w/black stripes and black vinyl top. Not exactly a car that would be built with the intention of being sold off of any showroom floor.

Seat belts? Weren't the seat belts an actual option code that could've/should've appeared on the broadcast card or build sheet with the appropriate option code, and not a mysterious "Z"?

I have seen the code on hard tops as well as convertibles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
broadcast.jpg (63.1 KB, 1360 views)
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:17 AM

Okay, I have a "lead" to pursue here. Is the Z possibly front shoulder belts? Feedback from those that have or know of this code, please!

Edit: New info, now the question is:
Is the Z code possibly deluxe shoulder belts?

Last edited by wmachine; May 5th, 2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:11 AM

Mt car has shoulder belts but it's a 71. I don't see a Z on the code. Maybe the belts were standard by 71.
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by MN71W30

Mt car has shoulder belts but it's a 71. I don't see a Z on the code. Maybe the belts were standard by 71.
Thanks. Front shoulder belts were standard in coupes starting in 1968. So the question is now more specifically "can the Z denote *deluxe* shoulder belts?".
The Z has only been reported on '70s at this point.
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:00 PM

well I have front shoulder belts and the mini deluxe lap belts but no Z on my cowl tag - that I remember and that is something I think I'd remember But I have not found a broadcast card either. From what I have heard shoulder belts for convertibles could be ordered as a factory item but were still installed at the dealer, they were delivered in the trunk of the car. They were also a dealer option as well but dealers did not want to install them as they were a pain for the money.
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
well I have front shoulder belts and the mini deluxe lap belts but no Z on my cowl tag - that I remember and that is something I think I'd remember But I have not found a broadcast card either. From what I have heard shoulder belts for convertibles could be ordered as a factory item but were still installed at the dealer, they were delivered in the trunk of the car. They were also a dealer option as well but dealers did not want to install them as they were a pain for the money.
Okay, do you mean you have the AS1 (standard style) shoulder belts with your deluxe lap belts or the AK1 (deluxe style) shoulder belt with your deluxe lap belts?
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Okay, do you mean you have the AS1 (standard style) shoulder belts with your deluxe lap belts or the AK1 (deluxe style) shoulder belt with your deluxe lap belts?
Uh, I don't know the code but what I have is the small deluxe brushed metal lap belts (1.5") wide and for the shoulder belts they are the larger size 2.25" wide brushed metal. Again from what I have been told they purposely made the lap belt and shoulder belt different sizes so you would not mix the two up here are what they look like
Attached Images

Last edited by stevengerard; May 5th, 2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added image
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Bustedeb
My car was built specifically for the Canadian market. I know your thread is asking about 1970 and my car is 1972. But anyway I looked on my broadcast sheet and there's no Z in the SPCL box. (what does SPCL mean anyway? Is it abbreviated for a Special order like the COPO chevs?) I also checked the cowl tag and the only thing I can find different is code A14 in front of the trim code. Not sure what the A means, but I believe the 14 means Power steering and Power disc brakes.
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:09 PM

Kurt,
Both my cars (Lansing built, sold new in Canada) 1970 W31 and W30 with the Z code, have standard seat belts.
Old June 21st, 2010, 05:34 AM

In another thread, the Z49 Canadian export option came up as a possible connection.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...g-mystery.html

I'd say this is a very solid lead. I did a cursory google of the Z49 option code and found it was used for many years (before and after 1970), and it is the option code for export to Canada. But I did not find any details as to what the modifications for Canada were. I anticipate that the exact content of the code varied from year year to year.

So pursuant to this lead, what did the Z49 option consist of in 1970?