Window Mechanisms

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Question Window Mechanisms

Hi, gang.....

I have my door panels off and want lubricate the moving parts for the non-electric windows!

What do you use to use to lube the joints, and the felted grooves that the glass runs in.

Any knowledge on this subject will be much appreciated!

Thanks,

--Don

Last edited by Ddbord; July 8th, 2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Oldsdruid

White lithium grease in a spray can works well on all pivot points and tracks. I wouldn't put anything on those felts.
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Talking Thanks!

Originally Posted by rocketraider
White lithium grease in a spray can works well on all pivot points and tracks. I wouldn't put anything on those felts.
I didn't know you could get white grease in a spray can! Where?

Thanks for the advice.......

--Don
Old July 9th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Oldsdruid

Well- you used to could get it in a spray can, but my can of it is kinda ancient... ten years old or older. But grease doesn't wear out from storage.

If you can't find spray lube, any white lithium grease formulation will work. Just won't be quite as easy to get it in there.
Old July 9th, 2010, 05:18 AM

I have one of those grease bombs - about 20 years old. I think I got it at an auto parts store. It has a picture of a mouse face with a red circle and line through it (meaning no squeaks I guess...)

Lithium grease is best for the gears and places where you can squeeze it into. I have some that is white and some that is brown - both lithium.
I use my fingers (with rubber gloves on) and the end of long screwdrivers to apply it.
For small joints where grease won't flow, i use just plain clean motor oil (non detergent if you have some). I put it in an old oil dropper bottle.

Lube the door latch, linkages and handle joint, also. Might as well do the door hinges, too.
NEVER lube the felt channels with anything!
Old July 9th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Thumbs up Grease

Originally Posted by rocketraider
If you can't find spray lube, any white lithium grease formulation will work. Just won't be quite as easy to get it in there.
Just checked. Advance and NAPA both carry 3 or 4 brands of spray lithium.

I'll be getting some today.

--Don

P.S. Remember.... Danville might have the last capitol, but South Carolina was the first to secede!
Old July 9th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

As noted, the white lithium spray cans are readily available, but I would not recommend it on the plastic rollers in the window tracks. I use a silicone grease in a tube (also from NAPA) which will not deteriorate plastic parts like petroleum-based products.
Old July 9th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Thumbs up Window Works!

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
As noted, the white lithium spray cans are readily available, but I would not recommend it on the plastic rollers in the window tracks. I use a silicone grease in a tube (also from NAPA) which will not deteriorate plastic parts like petroleum-based products.
That's JUST the way I did it this morning. The window (driver's side) cranks up and down just like new! Had never been lubed in 45 years!

Also, the door opener doesn't squeak anymore, and I now have enough strength to push in the outside door button! Now I have to clean up the door panel (if I can) and find some good chrome paint for the arm rest. The door panels are not too bad, and SMS wants $350 for the fabric for 2 doors and I do the work! Sounds extravagant......

The front bench seat is in the shop right now. I took the seat out and found broken springs under the driver's butt! Also the old style padding is all compressed. The trim guy is doing new springs and foam.

Maybe now my 5'-4" can see over the steering wheel.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I appreciate them.

--Don

Last edited by Ddbord; July 9th, 2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Speling!