Upholstery Question on a 70 Cutlass S

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:57 PM

Upholstery Question on a 70 Cutlass S

I got a Holiday Hardtop with a blue metallic-like upholstery with a different design and texture in a portion of the seat and backrest. It has tears and stains as seen in the attached pictures.

I am going to replace it, but i have not seen any reproduction upholstery that looks like mine. Does anyone make it? All I have seen is solid colors. I really like the look of the seats and would like to retain the same type of upholstery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Front Seats 1.jpg (63.8 KB, 57 views)
Rear seats.jpg (54.9 KB, 54 views)
Rear Seats 2.jpg (54.1 KB, 31 views)
Old March 7th, 2010, 05:58 PM

I never saw those either but that doesn't mean it didn't come that way but if you like it the vinyl looks like it is in great condition, why don't you just have a shop replace the cloth fabric

Last edited by stevengerard; March 7th, 2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 7th, 2010, 06:02 PM

I have never seen two tone seats.... The seats in my 72 were two toned. Certain fabric sections were made from a chemical composition, so the UV rays from the sun made some areas get lighter and some darker.
Yours is extreme though.
You might give Legendary a call. I bet they can put a two toned set together for ya at minimal extra cost!
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

I'm guessing that those were custom-sewn.
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:56 PM

The Supremes had cloth that year - did the S? If so, i bet they were once the same color. Cloth fades fast, compared to vinyl.
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:57 PM

I've got a 1970 442 that someone replaced parts of the seat covers with cloth. Makes it much nicer in the hot summer, less chance of burning your legs if your wearing shorts As the others have said I bet that's what someone did to your car. John
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:00 PM

I had a dark green 71 or 2 that had seats with the cloth inserts. I don't remember the exact pattern.
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I never saw those either but that doesn't mean it didn't come that way but if you like it the vinyl looks like it is in great condition, why don't you just have a shop replace the cloth fabric
Actually, that never occurred to me. Thanks for mentioning that idea.

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I have never seen two tone seats.... The seats in my 72 were two toned. Certain fabric sections were made from a chemical composition, so the UV rays from the sun made some areas get lighter and some darker.
Yours is extreme though.
You might give Legendary a call. I bet they can put a two toned set together for ya at minimal extra cost!
I will email Legendary some pictures and see what they say.

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I've got a 1970 442 that someone replaced parts of the seat covers with cloth. Makes it much nicer in the hot summer, less chance of burning your legs if your wearing shorts As the others have said I bet that's what someone did to your car. John
Very good point about the "hot" seats. I do like the look, so I am going to pursue it.
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:35 PM

They had cloth/vinyl seats available, but that does not look like the right material.
Old March 13th, 2010, 07:11 AM

Yours is extreme though.

I called Legendary and the salesman and I looked at the online catalog they had. The catalog showed the same style as what I have, but the kicker is they did not offer it in the color I have. He asked me to email their tech support some pictures (which I did) but I have not heard back (it has been a few days).

If Legendary does not have an answer or if they keep dragging their feet, is their another reputable company that someone can recommend to do the upholstery? I thought about having the inserts replaced only by someone local but my driver's side vinyl is ripped and I don't know how close they would be able to color match it to the rest of the seats.
Old March 13th, 2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by defiant1
I called Legendary and the salesman and I looked at the online catalog they had. The catalog showed the same style as what I have, but the kicker is they did not offer it in the color I have. He asked me to email their tech support some pictures (which I did) but I have not heard back (it has been a few days)..
Last year, I had a couple of my emails to Legendary buried under their usual slew of emails from around the world.
Do call them back and talk to someone about it. They get tons of emails so yours could either be missed, or maybe they are researching it.
Email is great for sending photos, but talking to someone referencing the sent pictures is best.
The guy who helped me with my quarter panels was great. They do custom upholstery also, so yours should be easy for them to reproduce.
What color do they not have?
Old March 13th, 2010, 08:48 AM

Last year, I had a couple of my emails to Legendary buried under their usual slew of emails from around the world.
Do call them back and talk to someone about it. They get tons of emails so yours could either be missed, or maybe they are researching it.
Email is great for sending photos, but talking to someone referencing the sent pictures is best.
The guy who helped me with my quarter panels was great. They do custom upholstery also, so yours should be easy for them to reproduce.
What color do they not have?

I will try getting a hold of someone that can assist and see what happens. I believe the color I need is the light blue metallic. Of course, I am trying to get confirmation from their tech support. If it is light blue metallic then I know they have the material, but the salesman said (according to the catalog) they do not offer blue in that style. See attached picture of catalog page. This of course makes no sense to me as they should be able to sew a set together based on the available material.

That is why I am not too confident in their ability to pull off the seat covers if this is a show stopper. Granted I was talking to a salesman, but come on, this should have been a simple fix over the phone and really the only thing that would need to be confirmed is the color code of my original vinyl seats.
Attached Images
Catalog Page2.jpg (47.1 KB, 20 views)
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:19 AM

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Dan/LOCALS~1/Temp/24.jpg[/IMG] From my 1970 brochure, this is a '70 Supreme seat. Hope it gives you an idea of what it might look like.
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:20 AM

Grrr, once again my photo copying skills are evident, sorry.
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Grrr, once again my photo copying skills are evident, sorry.

Thanks for the effort. If you use the quote feature and select "manage attachments" (scroll down towards the bottom of the page). You will be able to upload any picture you have on your computer. The only limitation would be the size of the picture, which you can reduce as required.

Thanks though.
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:59 AM

Well, I would have done that except I scanned my brochure upside down so as not to damage the brochure and to a pdf file. I reduced and rotated it there, but could not get it here after that editing. I will use the "mange attachments" to upload it, but it will be upside down.
Old March 13th, 2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by defiant1
That is why I am not too confident in their ability to pull off the seat covers if this is a show stopper. Granted I was talking to a salesman, but come on, this should have been a simple fix over the phone and really the only thing that would need to be confirmed is the color code of my original vinyl seats.
True ( I understand that.)
You can try PUI, but they do not sale directly to the Public (or they did not two yrs ago.) Also, Legendary does not make them until you order them. So, they should have it strate before you buy. Maybe? ask for a fabric sample. Just an idea.
Old March 14th, 2010, 01:04 PM

www.smsautofabrics.com www.originalauto.com here's a couple of places that might be able to help you out.
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:27 AM

I had a twilight blue 70 Cutlass 'S' post coupe,with a white painted top,& blue cloth interior.It was ordered like that,& I had all of the paperwork for it.Fortunately,my interior was real nice because I remember at the time that nobody was offering the cloth version like what I had.Let us know how you do with that.Hopefully someone can make it.
Old March 19th, 2010, 12:54 PM

Finally got a hold of the tech dept at Legendary. Here is the basic break down.

They would have to custom make a set of seat covers to my specifications (fabric inserts). They are telling me that Legendary does not have standard upholstery kits for my 70 Cutlass S Holiday Coupe and that they would have to take the fabric used on a 70 Supreme to make the set I am after. Of course, the kicker is it will cost over $1100 to have it done this way.

If I went straight vinyl and kept the same style of seats than it would still be a custom job and with a 20% up charge, the cost for the front and rear set would be in the range of $600-$700.

The only good news is that he confirmed the color code as Light Blue Metallic code 310G.

So, I am still looking at other options as I think the fabric inserts look sharp. I will try my local upholstery place (she does my boat upholstery and pretty much all the restaurants in town) and see what she can do.

I wish I had a money tree in the back yard... This would make things a little easier if I did not have a budget to work around.