Top Color

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Question Top Color

Hello,

I am getting ready to do a new top on my 72 convertible. The body color is a light blue (not original) with black interior. My question is from the factory did all tops match the interior color? IE black interior/black top?

I am thinking about a white top with the white rally stripes or black top and black stripes.

In addition I have found the hood stripes in vinyl but where do you find the stripes for the trunk lid?

Any comments on the top color and or stripes are welcome

Thanks....
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Past Administrator

I don't ever recall seeing stripes on the back trunk panel. Be sure to get the stripes for the non-OAI hood when you order them.
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Thank you Dan,

Were the stripes only on factory 442's or could you get them on a supreme? maybe the rear stripes were only on 442's? I see alot of rear stripes on the deck lid but not sure if there were standard or not. If anyone knows or knows where to get them that would be great
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:53 AM

No, the top color did not always match the interior.

I have a saddle tan interior on my '72 (which I bought new) and my top is light green.

I have seen other combinations also that did not match the interior color.

My personal preference for a light blue car like yours would be an 'off white' or possibly a light blue like the body. I wouldn't want a black top on that car if it were mine, but that just my opinion.
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Oldsdruid

Default convertible top color was always white unless car was ordered differently. White and black were always available; colors varied by year.

Keep in mind that a black top with black interior could spell some uncomfortably hot travel.
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:08 AM

Just curious....do you have any other pic's of your Cutlass that you could post, or have posted?

I'd like to see it in its full glory so to speak.
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:05 AM

I think a black top would be cool. Match it to the interior and you can't go wrong. Then again, it is your car so do whatever makes you happy. Post some pics once you have it done.
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:33 AM

I find that most of the Olds cars with trunk stripes are painted by Chevy guys that don't know any better. The Olds cars didn't have deck lid stripes. The hood was striped and the deck lid had pin stripes along the deck lid edge parallel with the bumper. Most cases just a single stripe or fine dual pin stripes. You need to look at some of the car photos to verify. That is not to say that the stripes can to some degree be what you like if you are not building a correct restoration. I slightly changed the stripe on my 67 442 because I wanted a little something different and I do get comments from the guys who are the "EXPERTS". They remind me that they are not "CORRECT" but I just laugh at those guys. I know some of the Hurst cars were different but production Cutlasses and 442's had no deck lid stripes.
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Thank you all for the comments as they are appreciated. I will take some new photos and post them shortly as I am waiting for the custom kick panels for the 6.5" speakers to get delivred and now that the stereo is in. Well actually the kick panels are here but are for a non a/c car so I am waiting for the new ones to be delivered.

I did not think that the deck lid stripes were correct and as far as my top color I will most likely go black just because I do not want to incorperate too many colors and keep it simple with the black top and stripes to match the interior. I have alos picked up new ralley wheels abd tires to have painted to match the body.

Thanks again guys I must admit I am glad I have found this forum and can get answers and opinions of other olds owners and luvrs...
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:50 AM

You can also decode the number on the body tag to tell you what the top color was out of the factory.

Year One has some info about it here:
http://www.yearone.com/updatedsingle..._body_tags.htm

Seems to be accurate info, or at least it was for my 69.
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 44TEETWO
I find that most of the Olds cars with trunk stripes are painted by Chevy guys that don't know any better. The Olds cars didn't have deck lid stripes.
Actually, there were three Cutlii with wide trunk stripes - the 1970 Indy Pace Car, the 1970 Rallye 350, and the 1972 H/O. Well, and the 69 H/O if you count the single gold stripe. Ironically, only the Y-74 pace car was a 442 (and even then, only some were 442s), the rest were Cutlii.
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Grown Azz Kid

I have decoded the car everything is correct except the exterior color..What is the best way to post pictures on here?
Old March 15th, 2008, 04:51 AM

Post a Reply to this thread.

In the "reply" window there is a small 'paper clip' icon on the tool bar across the top of the window. Click that and it will bring up another little window that will let you up load a picture or pictures from your computer.

You can browse to location on your compuert, select the file and then click 'upload', and it will be attached to your post.

There is a chart on the upload window that tells you the acceptable file size for different image files. You will have to size you image in another program like Paint Shop or one of the digital photo utilities,. then save it to your hard drive and then upload it.

There is usually more than one way to skin a cat so someone else may have an easier way but this is what I do when I want to load an image in the text portion of the message.

You can also attach a picture by clicking on the little 'postcard' on the tool bar. That will let you enter a URL if you have your pictures on a home page or host server.
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Here are some Pictures that I have sitting around. I will take new one of the interior with the kick panels and stereo soon. As well as ones after I have the body colored wheels and new tires on as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.JPG (27.0 KB, 7 views)
2.JPG (23.2 KB, 4 views)
4.JPG (29.3 KB, 5 views)
5.JPG (20.3 KB, 5 views)
6.JPG (41.4 KB, 8 views)