Suggested method for removal of interior roof...umm..."stuff."

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2014, 06:46 PM

Suggested method for removal of interior roof...umm..."stuff."

I am prepping the interior to put some sound deadening on the roof and there is some material on there that I am guessing is sound deadening material from the factory. It is sort of "paper-ish" and comes down with a little work but I would like to to know the best and safest way to remove the material and prep it for sound deadening.

Is this just a case of scrape it all off or is there a better way to remove the material and the glue that is attaching it to the roof? If it is just scrape it off, what is the best chemical and/or method to remove the factory adhesive? Keep in mind that living in Ca they would prefer that I use 'water and good vibes' to get the glue off...

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
interiorroof.jpg (51.0 KB, 24 views)
Old November 16th, 2014, 07:33 PM

First - grab a paint respirator or at least a good fitting dust mask. Then a long sleeved shirt.

This stuff crumbles into a fine dust when you start removing it and yes, scraper is the best bet (razor scraper or something with a nice flat/sharp blade)

Have your shop vac and a box handy as well....put the large chunks in the box and vac up the rest. It's nasty stuff from the "dust" standpoint. Not toxic to my knowledge but the dust it crumbles into makes some sort of good lung/breathing protection "a must" in my book.

Scrape all you can and then see what's left. As far as glue removal...another mess.....3M Adhesive Remover, etc but the stuff doesn't work very fast and the problem is exacerbated by the fact that you're having to apply it to an overhead surface and a large flat one at that (a mess to apply and the large open surface means any adhesive remover will evaporate quicker before thoroughly doing the job).

I would spend the extra time on some really concentrated/detailed scraping and then see how the surface looks before messing with the mess of applying, reapplying, etc an adhesive remover. You may be able to remove enough of the dried adhesive with a good razor blade scraper and paying attention to how you scrape it.
Old November 16th, 2014, 08:35 PM

x2 on the dust and the respirator...

I used a spray bottle with water after I got the majority scraped to hold down the powder. It actually seemed to help get more of the stuff off the roof. I took a sheet of plastic and covered the floor first.
I got as much of the glue off as I could but there was still a fair amount on the panel. I adhered a piece of Hushmat to see if it would stay attached and it did, so I finished the rest of the job with that. That was 8 months ago and it's still stuck.

Last edited by 1968_Post; November 16th, 2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1968_Post
I adhered a piece of Hushmat to see if it would stay attached and it did, so I finished the rest of the job with that. That was 8 months ago and it's still stuck.
Does hushmat have a freshly blacktopped smell or none?
Old November 17th, 2014, 06:16 AM

The car hasn't been out of the garage yet so I can't give an honest evaluation. The only thing I can say at this point is the entire inside of the car is covered in Hushmat and I haven't noticed any orders, even when the temps got in the 100's in the garage this summer.